downwardspiral

Palin Rejects 31% of Stimulus $$$

You do have a choice. It's called not having sex.

NOT MUCH OF A CHOICE FOR A RAPE VICTIM, IS IT? The one that Palin wants to force to bear the child of her rapist.

To the best of my knowledge, he didn't rape his girlfriend.

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

Then people started to get to know her. She made her first gaffes, made the mistake of talking to reporters. The democrats pulled ahead a little.

The dems pulled ahead and stayed there when the economy took a dump. The "we're not republicans" campaign hit full stride and McCain never had a chance. Palin's gaffes and portrayal in the media certainly didn't help, but the GOP never had a chance after the market crashed.

NOT MUCH OF A CHOICE FOR A RAPE VICTIM, IS IT? The one that Palin wants to force to bear the child of her rapist.

SP is on record as opposing abortions for rape victims.

SP believes the government should decide that a rape victim should bear her rapist's child. A rape victim has no choice in the sex and SP want her to have no choice in the aftermath.

Maybe you were so star-struck you weren't paying attention to what she has said.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

the GOP never had a chance after the market crashed.

As is perfectly appropriate. According to polls, 80% of Americans blame the dismal economy on the GOP. Even the RNC chairman acknowledges it.

All the GOP has going for it right now is "We hate Obama" and that is even apparent in this forum.

>The dems pulled ahead and stayed there when the economy took a
>dump.

Timeline:

Palin named end of Aug
GOP popularity takes a surge; pulls ahead of democrats
Palin starts gaffes in Sept
GOP popularity plunges
Economy tanks beginning of Oct
GOP popularity begins to recover

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=INDEXDJX:DJI

So while I agree that the economy had something to do with it, it was not the primary reason, at least according to polling results.

SP believes the government should decide that a rape victim should bear her rapist's child. A rape victim has no choice in the sex and SP want her to have no choice in the aftermath.

Maybe you were so star-struck you weren't paying attention to what she has said.

Maybe you should read what's going on before jumping into the conversation.

You mean post #60 of this thread, the one that said:

"No, I am saying someone that thinks a rape victim should have to nurse the child of her attacker is stupid"

The post to which you responded.

Maybe YOU should check your selective memory before criticizing others.

Although you are correct that jerryzflies didn't take the personal comments that Rhys gave into his reply, he did re-direct the conversation back from personal confessions to at least a little more topic related.

But... in discussing jerryzflies comments... does Palin truly think that the woman should be FORCED to carry, or does she just oppose government funding of an act that many people consider murder? (Note: I didn't watch the youtube clip because I don't have the privacy right now to listen and determine from that what her personal beliefs really are)

Other points:
Some have argued that they consider "war" as murder.... as an argument, that isn't really the same situation; apples and oranges. Those service men/women are part of a voluntary service (at least here in the US).... The "unborn child" is not there voluntarily. But even the term "unborn child" can begin a separate topic. A debate on "when does life begin" will bring lots of sanctimonious "truths" from many "experts" on "life." Personally, I don't know when it begins... I don't know if it's a fertilized egg or at first breath... but, since I don't know, I wouldn't call anyone "stupid" for their beliefs on either end of that spectrum... rather that they just have different beliefs than I do.

But... all of this wandering of this discussion really doesn't have anything to do with the topic of Palin and the Stimulus package.

[does Palin truly think that the woman should be FORCED to carry, or does she just oppose government funding of an act that many people consider murder? (Note: I didn't watch the youtube clip because I don't have the privacy right now to listen and determine from that what her personal beliefs really are)

She said explicitly in the interview that she would support a Constitutional amendment to outlaw abortion in all cases, including rape and incest. Rather hard to weasel out of that.

"No, I am saying someone that thinks a rape victim should have to nurse the child of her attacker is stupid"

Look at post #74

He quoted the part of that post that he was responding to. It seemed pretty clear that he was talking about rhys's personal decision to have an abortion.

Since you can't view the clip:

INTERVIEWER: If senator John Doe put forth an amendment that would ban abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, and he asked you to attend the announcement and support him in doing that, would you do it? . . .

PALIN: I would. I would. And you know, it's no secret that I'm pro-life. And I don't hide that, nor am I ashamed of that, and I am pro-life... and yes, a proposal like that, I would stand by it.

He quoted the part of that post that he was responding to. It seemed pretty clear that he was talking about rhys's personal decision to have an abortion.

And I was talking about his response to #90, in which rape victims are brought into the conversation.

Since you can't view the clip:

INTERVIEWER: If senator John Doe put forth an amendment that would ban abortion, even in cases of rape or incest, and he asked you to attend the announcement and support him in doing that, would you do it? . . .

PALIN: I would. I would. And you know, it's no secret that I'm pro-life. And I don't hide that, nor am I ashamed of that, and I am pro-life... and yes, a proposal like that, I would stand by it.

She is absolutely allowed to have that opinion. Just as others believe in the rights of the women. And as a politician (ALL OF THEM - governors, senators, representatives, VP, Pres), they do have some limited ability to enact laws. BUT... that's why we have checks and balances so that one persons opinion doesn't become King (or Queen). The Supreme Court has decided that it is the womans right to make that decision.

But basically, she CAN have that belief. Why is her belief such a big deal to you? Because it goes against what you believe? So what. Many people don't share all of my personal beliefs (for example: STAYING ON TOPIC IN DEBATES, firearms, universal coverage). I'm told to "get over it." Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. But deep down I know that what you or her or anybody else believes really isn't as important to me as what I believe. I would listen to opposing arguments, consider how those conclusions are made and it might make me re-examine my thoughts... but ultimately, MY opinion is what is important to me. Gov Palin can think and do as she feels appropriate.

If you'd like to discuss abortion for rape victims then we can. The conversation between rhys and I was about choice abortion by a young couple because it was a mistake.

Palin believes that abortion should only be allowed when the woman's life is in imminent danger. The point about rape and incest is a valid one but it opens a whole can of worms. If abortion is only legal from rape victims, what do you think will happen to the number of reported rapes?

I'm going to continue following up my posts in this thread by pointing about that differing opinions doesn't automatically make someone stupid.

Not really subjective.

No, very subjective. Just days before the election she drew 60,000 to a rally in Florida alone.

There were two main reasons for the outcome.

1. Economy

2. No one wanted anyone associated with Bush.

And if you want to talk about screw ups you might remind your president that there are 50 states not 57!
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Why is her belief such a big deal to you?

It would be a big deal to me if she decided to run for President. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't vote for her.

So... do you believe in checks and balances?

Do you think that she would be able to overturn a Supreme Court ruling?

(not attacking, just asking. and do note - single topic decisions do make and break elections... not just this topic, but another example would be second amendment rights. Do you consider both topics to be as valid a reason to vote or not vote for a candidate)

It would be a big deal to me if she decided to run for President. It is one of the reasons I wouldn't vote for her.

(not attacking, just asking. and do note - single topic decisions do make and break elections... not just this topic, but another example would be second amendment rights. Do you consider both topics to be as valid a reason to vote or not vote for a candidate)

Yes, I believe in checks and balances. I doubt that she would get Roe v. Wade overturned if she was in office, but the fact that she wants to is one of the reasons why I wouldn't vote for her. (I suppose I should rephrase that to say "most likely wouldn't vote for her." Since it would depend on who she was running against.)

As for Second Amendment rights, that's probably one of the few issues that I would agree with her on. And yes, I think both topics are equally valid reasons for voting/not voting for someone. (But hopefully most people don't vote based on a single issue, though I get the impression that some do.)

If President she will have the power to nominate SC justices.

Of course her opinion on this is important. It illustrates very clearly how extreme her position is compared to the American mainstream.

Lets not forget how good of a Patriotic American she is...... well there is that little membership she and her family belong to.. to secede from America.

ROTFLMAO

How soon you forget Obama's past.:P

Its ok... I am SURE you would fit in with the AIP and other fringe right militia minded groups...your fellow travellers... Just as she would.:S:S:S

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/10/10/palin_chryson/index1.html

Its ok... I am SURE you would fit in with the AIP and other fringe right militia minded groups...your fellow travellers... Just as she would.

Well that is the funny thing about being "sure", it doesn't mean your right!;)
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!