Amazon

Only in Texas

Doesn't anyone here read the entire thread???
Believe only one account of something posted on the Internet???
Ever use Google for themselves????

The man WAS protecting his wife. This was NOT a vigilante killing. Hence no charges for him.

Funny how this type of killing would be wrong in your eyes, yet the death penalty is ok.
:S

>So you'd be ok with not protecting your wife while she was being raped then?

So you'd be OK being shot in the back of the head for a crime you didn't commit?

The issue is not "protecting his wife." The man was leaving and presented no threat to his wife. The issue is the vigilante killing of someone that the husband thought had committed a crime. Such killings are best left to our justice system.

Although I agree with this post, I'll note that Texas's somewhat unique deadly-force statute tends to blur this line.

The man WAS protecting his wife.

That's factually incorrect. At the instant the shots were fired, the wife was not (or, to the husband's claimed belief, no longer) in harm's way, and the shootee was in his own vehicle, in the process of trying to drive away. So at most, the husband was using deadly force to thwart an escape from the scene.

>Doesn't anyone here read the entire thread?

Yes.

>Believe only one account of something posted on the Internet?

No.

>Ever use Google for themselves?

Yes. I have seen two accounts so far. The important parts:

"When Tracy Roberson cried that she was being raped, LaSalle tried to drive away and her husband drew the gun he happened to be carrying and fired several shots at the truck"

"They allege Mrs. Roberson told her 38-year-old husband she was being raped, so he fired four shots as LaSalle tried driving away."

The innocent man was driving away when he was shot. A man fleeing the scene of a crime is no longer an immediate threat to the people at the scene.

>This was NOT a vigilante killing.

When you kill a man who is no threat to you or your wife because you want him dead for what he did (whether or not you are rationalizing it as "he'll never do that again!") it is a vigilante killing. You are attempting to be judge, jury and executioner.

>Funny how this type of killing would be wrong in your eyes, yet the
>death penalty is ok.

I am against killing innocent people in either case. I suspect if you were the person trying to leave the scene and you were the one who was shot, you would agree.

*Anything* that Dvorak writes needs to be looked at with a jaded eye. He has honed the art of sensationalism to a fine point, particularly in technology.

However...sure appears on the surface that the shooter was under the impression he was stopping a rapist, and for all the commentary, I don't know I could make a mental connection between stopping a rapist and allowing him to escape because the 'threat' is now past.
Adrenaline and fight or flight tend to skew things in difficult situations, don't they?
FWIW, i have a former bandmate serving life in prison for shooting his wife and her lover when he caught them in bed. Interesting point, he'd probably gotten off had he not gone into another room to reload and fired more rounds.

Sexual assault is obviously a really big deal. If someone caught a women who was having sex that said "HELP! I'm being raped" I doubt that any decent person would refuse to act.

There are, however and unfortunately, a significant number of women who claim a sexual assault when they have been caught cheating. All that does is trivialize what a sexual assault is and how traumatic that is to a victim! Luckily a false report to a peace officer is an offense and is typically applied.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

> I suspect if you were the person trying to leave the scene and you were the one who was shot, you would agree.

you always bring it back to the undead, don't you

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>Dallas News

The story once again mentioned that he was in the truck when he was shot. So unless your assertion is that they were _both_ in the truck at the time of the shooting, and he shot four rounds into the cab containing his wife, then that story backs up the other two.

>Follow up

From the follow-up:

"if, instead, he was killing mad at catching the adulterous couple in the act, then this isn’t a case about a lying woman. It’s about frontier justice."

I would tend to agree.

>I and the Tarrant county court system disagree with you.

Actually, as the article points out, he was not even tried in court. The charges were simply dismissed.

Edited to add:

I just found yet another account that said that he _was_ firing into the truck cab while his wife was in it. So you're correct with your assertion.

Is rape (real or accused) a capital crime?
s death (murder, execution of man-slaughter) an appropriate response?

Undur the currant Texas Constitutin an state laws, only de crime of "capital murder", or a second rape of a girl undr age 14 will get yu the death penalte.

Howevr, deadly force be legal in defense of rape occurin ginst yoself or sumeone else.

Dis particular incident is relvant to the secont of dose two things.

Had he not be shot in de act, he coulda not bean exicuted for that crime.

P.S. An it be fun to watch all youse smarht mofos use only de news storie whitch fits yo preconciev nosions, insted o considerin all de facts an stories.

Just cause you rite nice, dont mean yo brain work rite.

I look at this as another reason to move to Texas.
The husband found his wife being raped (he thought) the guy who raped her in his mind is out side and he shot his gun to stop the guy. All sounds good to me. The wife lied and her lying resulted in someones death i say that sounds like justice to me. She should be the one who should pay for the crime she caused.

My .02
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think that this is really little more than the modern Texas (is that an oxymoron?) equivalent of burying the wife in the sand up to her neck and stoning her for adultery.

Why is it so difficult for people here to see that they can both be guilty, and each has little to do with the other.

The lies she told her husband lead to the death of her lover. By any reasonable standard, telling your husband/boyfriend that this guy raped you will result in him trying to harm the guy. You must be held responsible for the consequences of your actions.

Totally unrelated is the question of the husband's killing of the man - manslaughter seems like the right charge, but I'd have a hard time voting to convict.

A voice of reason.

However, the first (lie), prompted the second (action) so they are related and can't be separated.

I believe that in most states they would be held equally liable.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The more reports I found last night, the more I found it told both ways - driving away and in the act.

Seems the media in it's typical intelligence has left us confused with their preferred perspective yet again.

It does appear he should have been charged with at least some negligence here though. Especially after reading the transcript of the 911 call.
[:/]

> When you kill a man who is no threat to you or your wife because you want him dead for what he did (whether or not you are rationalizing it as "he'll never do that again!") it is a vigilante killing. You are attempting to be judge, jury and executioner

No Woman should ever have any respect for any man including her own Husband that would sit on his ass and do nothing. I would think it should give a Lady pause, and she should reconsider her relationship with a man who is not up to the task of protecting her.

I guess the women living on the LEFTwest coast have come to this conculsion and have deemed it safer to just lay back and try to enjoy the Rapping because there are no MEN left with the BALLS to be MEN living in and amoung them.

I guess the women living on the LEFTwest coast have come to this conculsion and have deemed it safer to just lay back and try to enjoy the Rapping because there are no MEN left with the BALLS to be MEN living in and amoung them.

Thanks but if I feel that I am about to be a victim I will ventilate the bastage myself.

My experience is there are far too many men with the balls to rape...even one time in life where your unwilling partner was forced.. is all it takes. I know far too many women that have been the victims of someone they thought they could trust.. and "protect" them.

I will opt with not being a victim in the first place.

apparently the local prosecutors felt the same way.

Would those be the same persecutors who use whatever means they can to get convictions and send people to death row based on questionable evidence.???

I think they reserve that standard mostly for black people.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Rape is a crime... murdering someone who you think commited a rape is another crime.

Murdering someone who took your wife's non-existent virtue......priceless.

It's the humor and wit on this forum that is priceless. That is very good. Deserves to be mocked up as a home video.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

No Woman should ever have any respect for any man including her own Husband that would sit on his ass and do nothing. I would think it should give a Lady pause, and she should reconsider her relationship with a man who is not up to the task of protecting her.

Shooting someone after the event is NOT protection it's revenge.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome