JohnRich

Sarah Palin thinks Africa is a country?

I looked at Obama's speech, and while he did say that Ann Nixon Cooper wasn't allowed to vote because of her gender and race, he didn't say anything about the Constitution being the cause. If that's your source for a con law professor not knowing when it was ratified, I think you're just playing the "Sarah Palin is stupid" game on the other side.

As a southern black, chances are that she wasn't allowed to vote because of her race. The stated reason might have been a poll tax, or a citizenship test, or it might just have been plain old intimidation. The distinction as to which particular flavor of reason is the cause would not be important to her, nor to most people.

It's perfectly valid to disagree with Obama on a whole bunch of issues; but I think that this 15th amendment one is just about as bogus as the Africa one is to think little of Sarah Palin (at least I thought it was bogus from the start).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

As I said, I'm not personally very concerned with it--just as I'm not too concerned about those things on the other side of the aisle. If you want to start digging up (or, in this case, inventing) gaffes and missteps, you're going to find plenty for anyone.

Which is more worrisome, a governor who someone (lied and) said couldn't identify Africa as a continent, or a con law professor who can't identify the century of the 15th amendment's ratification? It seems to me that if you're going to nitpick at either side, you ought to be fair and do it to both--and it seems to me that the nitpicking in this case is pretty unbalanced.

I couldn't care less about ANY of that nitpicking or gaffes, and I think most of the electorate outside of the blogosphere or punditry doesn't care, either. What I'm talking about is the actual gravity and substance of the person. Deciding among Obama, Hillary, Biden, McCain, Romney, Giuliani - that's really all about policy, and a little about style. I'm frankly OK with any of them in command in the Situation Room when the Chinese threaten to add their nukes to India's if the Pakis don't back down in Kashmir, or Russia decides to exercise a little cross-border "discipline" in Ukraine, while at the same time Venezuela gets into a skirmish with Columbian troops, and Israel has just shot down a Syrian MiG. The thought of Palin in that chair gives me the cold sweats. We lived through 4 years of that Sword of Damicles hanging over our head when hapless Quayle was the VP. We don't need it again.

Once again, I believe that you need a far better process for selecting your candidates than you appear (from the outside at least) to have. None of them were what one would call World class, were they? And if those 4 were the very best that a country the size of yours has to offer, or will put them selves forward - god help all of us.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

None of them were what one would call World class, were they?

I disagree. It's become almost cliche' to describe elections as grudging choices between the lesser of 2 mediocrities. But unlike in many past elections, I happen to think that both Obama and McCain, although each in rather different ways, were actually very good choices for potential Presidents.

Remember the original thread about Palin and the Africa is a country thread and NAFTA, etc? Something about the truth finally coming out about her?

Ask yourselves, how many of you honestly believed what the vitriolic press was saying about her at the time? I bet more than a few.

Now, honestly look at what the truth is today. But do predjudices change? Not so easily. "Well, I still don't think she's qualified to be VP, she just may not be AS STUPID as i originally thought." It's amazing the power of the media and the other party to taint and poison.

How the press and the left (and, too much of society, which is lock-stepping behind the press) treated Palin, is so fucking despicable it turns my stomach.

And this doesn't say a thing whether or not I even like the woman or think she would have had what it takes to be VP. I feel much the same way how Obama was treated for having the middle name Hussein. He didn't chose that name, for Chrissakes.

On the flip side, Kallend and Billvon are correct as well: how the GOP treated Obama in ways are equally abhorant and tragic and condemnable.

So a challenge: how many of you here have the character, the guts, the balls, the moral integrity to stop acting like the poison spewers that keep this country in such incredible tension and division?

I'm seriously trying to do the same, b/c honestly, i'm so tired of it all. I grow so weary of seeing shit like "rePUBICans" and "America RIP". You may think your political ideologies are the right ones. And you may in fact BE right. But as long as you keep talking shit, like Sarah Palin is SO "trailer," you aren't nothing but a liability to your own ideology, your own party, your own beliefs.

So... are you going to do it?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Ask yourselves, how many of you honestly believed what the vitriolic press was saying about her at the time? I bet more than a few.

It's interesting that most of this thread talks about the unfair press, but this is really about a story planted by McCain people. Is MSNBC a guaranteed sucker for this line? Of course. That's why they picked it.

Bottom line: right after the loss, the campaign through her under the bus.

OTOH, if she had held a single press conference, or not made a disaster of herself with Kouric, it would have been harder for everyone to believe it so readily.

How so? Representing Chicago (yes, that's intentional, no I don't think Chicago is a continent) in the US Senate makes you better/worse qualified than being governor of Alaska, day per day?

without a doubt.

Any one of us could be governor of Alaska. Thanks to oil windfall money, it's merely a matter of deciding how to allocate the money. Most governors, as well as the President, have to figure out how to close a deficit right now.

Illinois, of course, has 13M people compared to the 700k in Alaska.

Any doubts to the difference in qualification came when she was interviewed. Nice enough, if a bit right wing nutty, but the job is clearly out of her league. My third passport has seen more action than her only one.

Remember the original thread about Palin and the Africa is a country thread and NAFTA, etc? Something about the truth finally coming out about her?

Guys, you realise that a lot of you (helped by JohnRich's editing) are misreading the story, right? Here's a paragraph that he snipped;

The hoax was limited to the identity of the source in the story about Palin — not the Fox News story itself. While Palin has denied that she mistook Africa for a country, the veracity of that report was not put in question by the revelation that Eisenstadt is a phony.

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Guys, you realise that a lot of you (helped by JohnRich's editing) are misreading the story, right? Here's a paragraph that he snipped;

The hoax was limited to the identity of the source in the story about Palin — not the Fox News story itself. While Palin has denied that she mistook Africa for a country, the veracity of that report was not put in question by the revelation that Eisenstadt is a phony.

You're saying that although they discovered that the guy who told them wasn't actually who he said he was, they're pretty sure it's still true?

Or is it that they don't know who told them, but they're pretty sure it's still true?

Either way, sounds like the veracity of the original claim ought to be in question. If you can't even identify the source of it, how can you possibly say that you still believe it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It's interesting that most of this thread talks about the unfair press, but this is really about a story planted by McCain people. Is MSNBC a guaranteed sucker for this line? Of course. That's why they picked it.

Bottom line: right after the loss, the campaign through her under the bus.

OTOH, if she had held a single press conference, or not made a disaster of herself with Kouric, it would have been harder for everyone to believe it so readily.

Not so fast. The McCain people are saying they did not do this. It was others saying they were with McCain. The media bites yet again?

As for her disaters, did you see the unedited version of her Kuric interview? I bet not..........

Did you compare questions asked of the Dems canidates and surugates vs the R's? Do you care?

I do!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

>You're saying that although they discovered that the guy who told them
>wasn't actually who he said he was, they're pretty sure it's still true?

The veracity of the report hasn't changed, since the original FOX News story hasn't changed. However, some guy later claimed to be the guy who leaked it to FOX. He wasn't; he lied.

The veracity of the report itself is in question as well. Palin herself denies that the Africa-as-a-country thing ever happened, NAFTA as well, and I'm inclined to believe her considing the relationship her state has w/ Canada and aid her state gives to at least one African country. Other McCain aids have refuted the claims of this report as well. It still bears repeating that b/c so many people have had it in for her from the beginning, they were willing to sink their teeth into a story like this, as absurd as it was.

Interesting though that no one as yet has addressed my original post about the poison itself that has characterized so much of political conversation in these threads and this country... not too surprised though...

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

The veracity of the report itself is in question as well.

Of course, but no more or less so than before this MSNBC thing.

It still bears repeating that b/c so many people have had it in for her from the beginning, they were willing to sink their teeth into a story like this, as absurd as it was.

It was Fox that sank their teeth into the story, and they ought to be the least likely of all to have it in for her.

Interesting though that no one as yet has addressed my original post about the poison itself that has characterized so much of political conversation in these threads and this country... not too surprised though...

You're absolutely right. As an outsider, I find it incredible just how personal and venomous big US elections are. Policy seems to come a very distant second to character assassination. Makes it amusing as hell to watch though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Now, honestly look at what the truth is today. But do predjudices change? Not so easily. "Well, I still don't think she's qualified to be VP, she just may not be AS STUPID as i originally thought." It's amazing the power of the media and the other party to taint and poison.

How the press and the left (and, too much of society, which is lock-stepping behind the press) treated Palin, is so fucking despicable it turns my stomach.

And this doesn't say a thing whether or not I even like the woman or think she would have had what it takes to be VP. I feel much the same way how Obama was treated for having the middle name Hussein. He didn't chose that name, for Chrissakes.

On the flip side, Kallend and Billvon are correct as well: how the GOP treated Obama in ways are equally abhorant and tragic and condemnable.

So a challenge: how many of you here have the character, the guts, the balls, the moral integrity to stop acting like the poison spewers that keep this country in such incredible tension and division?

I'm seriously trying to do the same, b/c honestly, i'm so tired of it all. I grow so weary of seeing shit like "rePUBICans" and "America RIP". You may think your political ideologies are the right ones. And you may in fact BE right. But as long as you keep talking shit, like Sarah Palin is SO "trailer," you aren't nothing but a liability to your own ideology, your own party, your own beliefs.

Beer on me if we ever meet :D

Great post man.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Not surprising at all. Persons loyal to one side are very quick to believe any story that comes out the lowers the respectability of their opponent.
Both Repubs and Dems are guilty of this behavior.

so true. i was quick to jump on the bandwagon and express my delight when that story broke. gym shoes don't taste so good[:/] lol.

i learned something, though, and at least all of the "reports" came out after the election. it could have been much worse for all involved if this had happened before election day.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Whatever the truth of this particular story, there were really crappy tactics employed by people on both sides of the 'debate'. I don't think that either side comes away whiter than white [sic] (or anywhere near) from this election.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Beer on me if we ever meet :D

Great post man.

+1 :D
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

I pretty much agree with this post.

The Africa story didn't come out until after the election as far as I know, so hopefully it didn't affect anything. Personally, I didn't give it any credence because there were no sources for the story.

But it does bring up a point: People get so fixated on fighting for their team that they'll believe any piece of distorted bullshit so long as it's "on message" and supports their side.

I can tolerate intelligent discussion from someone with whom I might disagree politically.

But I can't tolerate the attitude that it's OK to believe & spout stuff that has been show to be outright bullshit, just because it slams the political opponent.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I think it speaks volumes about her ability to inspire confidence. After I heard her speak you could have told me that she believes 2+2 = 19 and I would have believed it. She simply sounds and acts that stupid, not to mention the countless things that she really did not know that we saw with our own eyes.

As for Media bias, I think the GOP needs a giant mirror no one plays as dirty and take more low roads then them. I don’t need anyone to tell me that my eyes work fine. How much crap did they spew about Obama?

I still believe no one could honestly think Sarah Plain was qualified to even teach 5th grade let alone run the country.

I can imagine if she had and went in to a meeting with Putin, what was she going to wink at him,Or mention she can see him from the shore? Fucking ridicules.:S

I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

[reply

She is a dirct threat to the libs. Hence, the vitriolic (mostly false) attacks

You're way off base here. Liberals (myself included) thought on the whole that she was best thing to happen to the Obama/Biden ticket. She was a direct threat to the GOP ticket, not the Democratic one. Also, after her first two disasterous interviews where she appeared woefully clueless, the campaign basically shut her off from the media so she couldn't insert her foot in her mouth. Added to that, McCain staffers trashing her anonymously, and what do expect the media had left to report about her ? She was a glorious goldmine of ignorance though. (I particularly like the video of her having a witch doctor pull witches out of her head.) And her husband ? I think I'll miss that clueless oaf almost as much.

I hope the GOP wheels that ignorant snowbilly out again as a candidate in 2012. I can't think of any better way to ensure a second Obama term.

Let me just clarify one thing though. I don't think she's stupid. I think she's ignorant. You can be born stupid, but ignorance is choice. It's a trait displayed to full effect by the current occupant of the White House.