steveorino

Honest questions for God

If a man is washed onto an island and raised by wolves and dies without ever having heard of religion, or God, will he be going to hell? If so, which the bible dictates would happen, he will be spending eternity in hell because he drew the short stick on earth. How is this fair and just?

It's no more fair than if you have a pantry full of food and know that the person down the street is hungry, but you never reach out to help, or, if you know that your neighbor needs a ride to work, and it's right on your way, but you just don't want to be bothered.
If I see some children who I don't know, playing with matches around an old gas can, am I responsible if I ignore them, and the thing explodes and burn them badly.

You're not the man on the island. You have heard the message.

Except that regardless of how much you try to tell yourself, not being Christian does not equate to being hungry or playing with matches.

A better analogy would be the old man who lives behind the dumpster who took a few too many hits of acid in his day and thinks that our alien overlords are going to destroy the world unless everybody sacrifices a baby rabbit for breakfast. He truly believes that this is the Truth™ and screams at you every day to sacrifice a baby rabbit or you're going to be the cause of the world's doom. Are you going to start sacrificing baby rabbits if he screams at you enough? I didn't think so.

Why not? He is inspired, in his own way, too.
This ad space for sale.

You do realize this will get you, once again, labeled as a Neo-con at best, a Nazi at worst.

Labelling is what we do best here in SPeaker's Corner. Who am I to avoid it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

god?, how did you, as omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent as you are alleged to be, overlook the fact that IIKings 19 and isaiah 37 are word for word identical from two different points in the supposed history in the bible?
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

But since you say that you have little knowledge of other religions, I am curious... What made you choose Christianity over Islam, Hinduism, or any other religion?

It's a long long story. I didn't choose Christianity. God chose me. It's a long story which is out of context with this post. Not like I haven't been doing that anyway...:S[:/]

Happy New Year!

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

first, you need that food to eat so you have the strength to lobby the government to set up a food shelter for that person. Now, the government first needs money to set up the committee to define that shelter. So tax the filthy rich (anyone making over $20K/year) at about, oh, say 48% gross will do for now - we'll need more, but this is a good start.

it takes a while to set up food shelters (and the required housing, health care and transportation) for this gentleman. So first you need to suspend certain laws to allow him to rob as needed to provide for himself until the shelter is built. It's not his fault he's hungry, remember - it's your fault.

Now, since he's a male, first, before being fed, he'll need sensitivity counseling. So that should also be supplemented.

Once he's in touch with his feminine side, any personal wrongs forgiven, and he has a nice playstation in his homes for the homeless home, he can now take the free shuttle to the food shelter and eat.

So how easy it is?

or, (scoff), you could just offer him some work and pay him (subject to employer health care, and minimum wage imposed requirements, pending OSHA environmental safety and workspace inspection, paid time off minimums, parental leave, partner health care options, etc...........) so he can buy his own meals.

maybe it really is just easier to huck out a can of hash as you drive by (but then you get sued for not also hucking out a can opener)

I'm not cynical, you are.

:D:D No you don't sound cynical at all. What is scary is that what you have described is almost true.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Isn't that special.

Come on now, I expected something a little more long winded and wittier from you, diarrhea mouth.:o You can do better than that.

Actually, the prof is usually not long winded, but quite pithy. Even though I disagree with about everything he says (writes) I have grown to like him for some crazy reason. I guess, because he is a man who stands by his convictions.

BTW the diarrhea mouth comment is a personal attack, and can get you banned from the forums. You better mind your Ps & Qs.:)

steveOrino

Isn't that special.

Come on now, I expected something a little more long winded and wittier from you, diarrhea mouth.:o You can do better than that.

Vulgarity doesn't improve any argument.:|

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Paj, I've got to ask you, here is as good a place as any...

In the link, "Are You A Good Person", the very first flash point question is "are you good enough to go to heaven?" or something very similar.

I'm terribly surprised to see you advocating this site, because that basic premise - that anyone could "earn" or "be good enough" for entrance into heaven flies in the face of Christianity. From what I understand, and granted, I may not understand it all - that no-one is good enough for heaven just on their own, by their own works...but rather, only through the Gift God gave, His Son, was that honor given to some. In other words, there's not a darned thing one can do to get into heaven by themselves...and that's the premise of christianity.

So why are you promoting a site that is inherently biblically flawed?

Had to ask...thanks in advance.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

If you actually faced the Almighty, what would you ask Him if you only had one question?

Assuming this is the Judeo-Christian g-d documented in the Bible and depicted by most American Christians, my question would be "If you are omniscient of all present, past and future, why would you create people whose souls will go to hell for eternity?"

If I could ask a second one, it would be "Why did you create Satan?"

PS, sorry if the questions are a repeat of what someone already posted; I didn't read through the 12 pages in this thread. :$

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Well from looking at the site, the questions it asks, I don't think there is anybody in the world who can honestly answer "Yes" to all of them.

The first question asks, and I quote, "Have you -always- put God first in your life? Jesus said to love God with all you heart, mind, soul, and strength - so much that your love for your parents, brothers, sisters, friends, and even your own life is like hatred compared to your love and devotion for God. Have you -ever- failed to put him first in your life?"

By this logic, there is not a soul in the world who is good enough to get into heaven (without being a horrible parent and spouse) and therefore the only way is through lifelong repentance.
This ad space for sale.

By this logic, there is not a soul in the world who is good enough to get into heaven (without being a horrible parent and spouse) and therefore the only way is through lifelong repentance.

I guess what I'm meaning is that the fundamental question being asked about how one is "good enough for heaven" is scripturally unsound. From what I understand, and I'm no seminary student so I could easily be incorrect, is that no-one, by themselves, is good enough to get to heaven...and it is only via Christ that one might get there. Not even if they did all 10 of the Commandments perfectly their entire life...not one is "good" enough to get into heaven.

And frankly, if the very first question - and the premise upon which it's asked - is fundamentally unsound, I'm probably not going to spend much time there looking around to see what's what.

Ciels-
Michele

BTW the diarrhea mouth comment is a personal attack, and can get you banned from the forums. You better mind your Ps & Qs.

Kallend, forgive my ignorance. I was trying to implicate that he had "diarrhea in the mouth" as in shooting his mouth off. I never meant it as a personal attack. I was just trying to be sarcastic.

I just went through the whole thing. The point is, that is not humanly possible to go through life without ever breaking one of the Ten Commandments. Number 7 states even looking at another individually lustfully is grounds for condemnation. What person in the world has never looked at another lustfully? Number 9 is about lying. Who has gone through an entire life without making even the smallest lie?

According to this site, every human is condemned, and on his own can not ever be allowed to enter heaven.

However, 2000 years ago, God came to earth in the form of Jesus who paid the price for our sins, and since then the only the only way for man to enter heaven is through him.

The thing is, the whole premise lies on whether whoever came up with this interpretation is right, on which I will bet my afterlife that it's not.

The other part that I find genius about this as well is that those who do not try to help their brothers and sisters into learning about the Glory of God also go to Hell. So, essentially, in order to make it into Heaven, you have to first, repent your entire life and spend it feeling guilty about everything (because we as humans are fundamentally flawed - human nature and all) and second, spending the rest of the time shoving this belief down everybody else's throat so that when they (the unbelievers) finally get fed up with it and tell (the believer) to STFU, the believers can shout "persecution". And if the unbelievers become born-again and believe, the virus spreads as they go shoving it down everybody else's throats.
This ad space for sale.

If that is the complete message, than bad on me for not tolerating it long enough to get through it all.

I think, though, that it's not necessarily the message that gets through...and it's a scare tactic at best, the way they're working it. That's my issue with most fundamentalist religions - it's not about loving God, but it's about fear. There are some who say it doesn't matter what way you get to God, just get there...but as for me and mine, I'd rather do it from love than from any other position or perspective.

I'm sick, so I'm heading to bed. Sorry for any confusion, Paj, but that initial thing just hit me wrong.

Ciels-
Michele

What I need is to not be forced to hear this bullshit at every turn.

As with anything else, you can turn a deaf ear to this if you don't want to hear it, you do have a mind of your own.

People get offended at gay men walking down the street proclaiming "we deserve equal rights."

You think that's offensive? You want to really get offended? Come down to NY and you can see Gay men making out in the middle of the street. Go to a trendy club that has unisex restrooms and you can see gay men blowing each other. You see that kind of stuff all the time. Y'all non-city folk need to get out more.

But very few get pissed off when evangelical Christians prevent you from crossing the street safely as they thrust a pamphlet at you uttering moronic platitudes such as "Jesus loves you" or "Get off the road to hell" or "I love you brother, let me save you."

I stand on a NYC street corner every night. People don't get pissed off because they simply walk around the Christians that hand out those pamphlets as if they don't even notice them. None for nothing but those people that hand out pamphlets to you in the street don't get paid to do that. They don't even promote a particular church for you to attend. They're spreading the gospel to you, and it's up to you to take one and read it, flat out reject it, turn them away or ignore them. All I can say is that they care enough about you to spend time away from their families to stand on that street corner.

Save me from what? The *only* thing I want to be saved from is hypocritical self-righteous pricks that continually split our culture/society/government.

You have your own mind where you can turn a deaf ear to it and take it with a grain of salt.

Which is worse, a self-promoting, Bible thumping asshole like Archbishop Sanchez who has sex with little boys, or a hypocritical Congressman who speaks against homosexuality while having sex with little boys?

It's not right that any human being would do such things. However, it's not right to stereotype either. Christians, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, etc are all human beings too. Regardless of what religious faith or no religious faith one follows or proclaims, if they had a screwed up childhood or if they are just plain screwed up they are going to be capable of doing some pretty screwed up things. Claiming to be Christian alone will not protect them from being screwed up. Anyone can claim to be Christian or a great Christian leader and officially declare it on paper. However, having a Christian heart iand maintaining it is the real challenge. No one in this world is perfect, not even Christians. I'm no psychologist but if it's in a person's mind to like boning little boys or fondle them and it's not in their hearts to see that it's morally wrong then claiming to be Christian will not change the way they feel about it. Who knows, maybe they became Christians because they thought God would forgive them if they simply ask him to after every sin they knowingly committed. Maybe they became Christians so they can have access to more little boys to play with. Who knows? Only God and that person knows why they play with little boys against God's will and against U.S. law and still preach the gospel.

But many mentally-challenged Americans believe that God "put these guys in office."

Are you referring to Christians as being mentally challenged? You should just spit it out. I don't know about anyone else but NY'ers don't walk around broken eggshells with anyone. We tell it like it is and we have pretty thick skin.

Anyway, this is your world bro. You choose how to live it. You are entitled to your own opinion. However, I hope your annoyance towards Christians aren't based on just by how a lot of them may have rubbed you the wrong way.

Umm, what? How can Gods love be 'perfecting' when all you need to do is repent rather than actually do anything good in order to win the game?

You're missing the point. A Christian doesn't have to go above and beyond to find ways or find people to help out in the world. However, if a Christian encounters someone that needs help and he/she doesn't help out that person in need then, that's not being Christlike. And that person will be judged for it.

Either there are not people from religions other than Christianity who post to this thread or the people from other religions do not feel the need to preach to everyone posting a question for a God, any God.

Who knows? Maybe your Atheist God can answer that question for you if you ask him or her.

Mark Foley preached from the pulpit in his church.
Ted Haggard did the same.
So did Jim Bakker.
Troy Taylor
Paul Williams
Dennis Bowling
Dennis Champagne
Timothy Rademacher
Aaron D. Rediger
All clergy of the Baptist, Assembly of God, Lutheran, or Presbyterian faiths. Each and every one of them are people of the cloth in their religion and have a pro-biblical agenda.
Having a pro- biblical agenda doesn't mean squat.

I don't know a whole lot regarding any of those names you've mentioned. I don't know a whole lot about Baptists either. Based on your tone, it seems those people probably didn't do any good, in your opinion. I don't know. However, don't you think it's unfair to judge Christianity based on what a few people have done? There are millions of Christians out there. Some claim to be Christian for their own profit gain. Some claim to be Christian and make up their own beliefs of what God wants them to be like. Christians are not cut from the same mold. We're regular schmucks like you.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Some of them are even born again.
Too bad they didn't learn anything the first time.

So why do you refer to born again Christians as "Suckers"? Let's hear your opinion on it.

Mark Foley preached from the pulpit in his church.
Ted Haggard did the same.
So did Jim Bakker.
Troy Taylor
Paul Williams
Dennis Bowling
Dennis Champagne
Timothy Rademacher
Aaron D. Rediger
All clergy of the Baptist, Assembly of God, Lutheran, or Presbyterian faiths. Each and every one of them are people of the cloth in their religion and have a pro-biblical agenda.
Having a pro- biblical agenda doesn't mean squat.

I don't know a whole lot regarding any of those names you've mentioned. I don't know a whole lot about Baptists either. Based on your tone, it seems those people probably didn't do any good, in your opinion. I don't know. However, don't you think it's unfair to judge Christianity based on what a few people have done? There are millions of Christians out there. Some claim to be Christian for their own profit gain. Some claim to be Christian and make up their own beliefs of what God wants them to be like. Christians are not cut from the same mold. We're regular schmucks like you.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Some of them are even born again.
Too bad they didn't learn anything the first time.

So why do you refer to born again Christians as "Suckers"? Let's hear your opinion on it.

Google any one of these names. Heaven forbid that someone should know what leaders of the AofG, Baptist, Mormon, or other Christian religions are doing with their lives.[:/]
My opinion on why Christians have bought into a K-Tel/Ronco version of spirituality and history? You're kidding, right?

My opinion on why Christians have bought into a K-Tel/Ronco version of spirituality and history? You're kidding, right?

Yes, I've already read your take on Christians. It's all good brother.

Happy New Year.