steveorino

Honest questions for God

Paj, I've got to ask you, here is as good a place as any...

In the link, "Are You A Good Person", the very first flash point question is "are you good enough to go to heaven?" or something very similar.

I'm terribly surprised to see you advocating this site, because that basic premise - that anyone could "earn" or "be good enough" for entrance into heaven flies in the face of Christianity.

Did you listen to it in its entirety? I don’t know how anyone could possibly come away with the idea that they could “do” anything to save themselves. It certainly does not advocate “work righteousness.” Just the opposite. It is meant to take you through God’s moral law in order to bring reason to the idea that you are a sinner and in need of a Savior. The purpose of the Law should be to drive one to the cross. There are many who claim the title of Christian and Christian organizations/denominations which believe that you must “do” things on your own in order to “earn” your way to heaven. This is unbiblical and wrong.

From what I understand, and granted, I may not understand it all - that no-one is good enough for heaven just on their own, by their own works...but rather, only through the Gift God gave, His Son, was that honor given to some. In other words, there's not a darned thing one can do to get into heaven by themselves...and that's the premise of christianity.

You got it.

So why are you promoting a site that is inherently biblically flawed?

Had to ask...thanks in advance.

I don’t and it’s not.

I must not have been present when God and the Devil picked teams.

Don't worry, you're like one of those fat kids that got picked dead last like in basketball lineup.

Seriously, if you were to ask seriously, which I know this is not the case, your time will come where you'll see some sort of miracle of God and you'll make a concious decision to accept it or deny it. Till then, you can play basketball with me, I promise to pick you first.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

In the last few years I've wanted to know if I'm right about this church (just north of cincinnati) has missed the point in the creation of this statue of Jesus.

So I would ask God if these people missed the point?
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

why do your christians pursue, persecute, torture, kill the wiccans(white witches), when your 'golden rule' is the same as theirs? 'do unto others, as you would have done unto you'

DO AS THOU WILT, HARM NO ONE

THOMAS JEFFERSON- the christian religion is THE MOST PERVERTED system that ever shone upon humanity
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

Thats where you are wrong. The church and bible say you must ACCEPT JESUS as your savior so that you may have eternal life.

ok, so the guy on the island worships the sun maybe? And goes to hell because he knew no different?

And a muslim in rural afghanistan also goes to hell because he knew no different? And a Hindu in a small rural village who has never heard of Jesus also goes to hell? Even if they are more honourable and better 'behaved' than you?

Please explain how by asking for forgiveness one can be cleansed from a lifetime of rape and murder. Yet Ghandi is going to hell?

Is the sum total of ones life a positive impact on thousands not more worthy of blissful eternity than a mass murderer and rapist who begs forgiveness?
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

I have heard the message, but not the one you or the Church deliver. Something so full of sexist peadophiles cannot talk about God. People who quote texts based on the moral codes of 2000 years ago cannot be seriously considered today. Especially when parts such as Leviticus are selectively denied.

You imply that good deeds done in the name of anyone other than Jesus they are going to hell.

Again I will use Ghandi, and say that his life was lived in a closer parallel to Jesus' than many 'brothers' who spend their times selfishly praying in remote monastaries.

God is all knowing, hence I'm quite certain he's not bogged down in symantics like many Churchies are. And will see straight through people like you who claim that by birth right you are condemned to hell. And whats even more laughable is that if you were born in a Muslim country you would be saying the same thing, but about Islam.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

I have heard the message, but not the one you or the Church deliver.

The point of your post is that because every heathen in the deepest jungle hasn't heard the message, then you are going to reject the message because it just seems unfair.

Once again, if I hear that I am in a dangerous situation, but refuse to extricate myself from it simply because other people haven't heard about, I deserve my fate, especially if I think that the message is BS.

I have heard the message, but not the one you or the Church deliver.

The point of your post is that because every heathen in the deepest jungle hasn't heard the message, then you are going to reject the message because it just seems unfair.

Once again, if I hear that I am in a dangerous situation, but refuse to extricate myself from it simply because other people haven't heard about, I deserve my fate, especially if I think that the message is BS.

Okay. So let's suppose you're merrily walking down the street. A man comes up to you and tells you that there's a hungry tiger five feet in front of you and you better turn around right now or it's going to pounce on you. You look ahead but see absolutely nothing resembling a tiger.

What do you do?
This ad space for sale.

If you actually faced the Almighty, what would you ask Him if you only had one question?

Yeah, i read the thread. Shoving aside the off-topic dross, i shall strive to answer the original question.

"Is there such a thing as a soul mate, one person you are meant to be with forever? If so, please tell me who mine is..."

Of course, I'm sure everyone's question for god is heavily influenced by their personal situations at the time of the asking. Were I in a different place in my life, my question could, in fact, be quite different.

"What is my purpose in this life?" is a good one.

Or I might ask him/her to solve one of life's greatest mysteries: "What is Steve Miller really saying in the 4th line of 'The Joker'...i mean, 'pompetous' is NOT a word, so what did he really mean???"

Please, if you are one of this thread's self-appointed spokespeople for god, i already know your answers to my questions, so no need to try. Oh...except the last one. please, by all means, if you know what the "pompetous of love is", don't hold back on my account! let the world know!

B|
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Your prayers have been answered:

In case any of you are curious...

> Steve Miller Band
>
> I decided to include this section due to the large number of usenet
> postings I have read concerning "the pompitous of love."
>
> Steve first used this phrase in the song Enter Maurice from his 1972 album
> Recall the Beginning...A Journey From Eden. This is also the song marking
> Steve embracing the persona Maurice. The spelling of pompitous is correct
> according to the lyric sheet from the album, but you will never find it in
> a dictionary since the word is made-up anyway!!
>
> The producers of the recent Jon Cryer release, "The Pompatus of Love" took
> their spelling of the word from the sheet music for The Joker as printed in
> the songbook "Rock Hits Through the Years" published by Warner Chappell.
> Many die-hard SMB fans would argue for the spelling as POMPITOUS as this is
> the first and only spelling in print on a Steve Miller Band release.
>
> "The pompitous of love" originates from a line in The Medallions' 1954 R&B
> hit The Letter. Miller was a fan of 50's R&B, so he's very familiar with
> that tune.
>
> On first hearing that particular track, it would appear that the line is:
> Let me whisper sweet words of pismotality and discuss the pompitous of love
>
> Vernon Green, the author of The Letter, says, "You have to remember, I was
> a very lonely guy at the time. I was only fourteen years old, I had just
> run away from home, and I walked with crutches." The uneducated but
> imaginative youth was prone to fantasy, so he just made up the lyrics.
> 'Pismotality' described words of such secrecy that they could only be
> spoken to the one you loved.
>
> "And it's not pompitous," he emphasizes. "What I said was 'puppetuse',
> which is a term I coined to mean a secret paper doll fantasy figure."
>
> Steve either misheard this lyric, or drew upon this song to develop his own
> word. Either way, 'pompitous' has made its mark in pop music history.
> Interestingly, Steve appears to also have drawn upon the word 'pismotality'
> to create the word 'epismetology' which he also used in the song Enter
> Maurice.
>
> Of course, everyone knows Maurice and his speaking of "the pompitous of
> love" from Steve's 1973 hit The Joker. Unlike Recall the Beginning, this
> album did not have a lyric sheet, so one must refer to the previous album
> for spelling.
>
> I read an interview with Steve where he was asked what pompitous meant. He
> said, "It doesn't mean anything. It's jive talk."
>
> Steve uses this phrase once again in Conversation from his 1993 album Wide
> River. This song also features Steve's second use of the word epismetology
> in a SMB tune.

from http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9910d&L=ads-l&P=263

No, I am not God, but I do accept donations.
This ad space for sale.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. So let's suppose you're merrily walking down the street. A man comes up to you and tells you that there's a hungry tiger five feet in front of you and you better turn around right now or it's going to pounce on you. You look ahead but see absolutely nothing resembling a tiger.

What do you do?

All dangers, even in the natural world are not visible.

Look at the indifference of the world in general to AIDS.

Regardless of actually seeing the final results, and the fact that by exercising caution and self control, the problem could be solved in one generation we just don't want to be bothered. It's just too much effort.

Unbelievers think that Jesus should come back and hang himself back on the cross just for them.

The sacrifice was once and for all. Just recieve it. It's that simple.

Thats where you are wrong. The church and bible say you must ACCEPT JESUS as your savior so that you may have eternal life.

I’m really only concerned with what the Bible says and not a particular church. Why do you think you must receive (he doesn’t need your acceptance) Jesus as your savior? What is he saving you from? How did he accomplish this?

ok, so the guy on the island worships the sun maybe? And goes to hell because he knew no different?

No. He goes to hell because he’s broken the Law which requires justice.

And a muslim in rural afghanistan also goes to hell because he knew no different? And a Hindu in a small rural village who has never heard of Jesus also goes to hell? Even if they are more honourable and better 'behaved' than you?

The Hindu may be very honorable by your standard and mine, however, he has broken the moral Law just like I have (and you have).

Please explain how by asking for forgiveness one can be cleansed from a lifetime of rape and murder. Yet Ghandi is going to hell?

Jesus, the only one who could and did live without sin (God in the flesh) and, therefore, the only one worthy, paid the penalty for your countless crimes. It is a free gift but you must appropriate it. You cannot buy it by doing anything of yourself. You cannot bribe God. By the way, God sees your lustful thoughts as adultery of the heart and hatred as murder. I don’t know about you but I’ve been guilty of both of those almost my entire life.

Mahatma Ghandi acknowledged the inability of his religion to atone for sin. Despite his moral lifestyle and good works, he admitted, “It is a constant torture to me that I am still so far from Him whom I know to be my very life and being. I know it is my own wretchedness and wickedness that keeps me from Him.” All works-based religions lead to futility and death. It is only in Jesus Christ that sinners can find forgiveness for their sins and deliverance from death and hell.
--The Evidence Bible compiled by Ray Comfort

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Romans 7:24-25

Neither Hinduism nor any other “religion” can provide deliverance from sin.

Is the sum total of ones life a positive impact on thousands not more worthy of blissful eternity than a mass murderer and rapist who begs forgiveness?

It is hard for me to imagine that a mass murderer could or would have ever sincerely repented and begged forgiveness and given his/her heart to Jesus. However, only God knows your heart. He knows every thought that has gone through your head. How will you stand when judged? Even with a lifetime of positive accomplishment, one has still not kept the required perfectly righteous standard of goodness. Deeds of goodness on your part are like filthy rags to God because he sees you much deeper than that. Oprah Winfrey’s establishment of a school for girls in Africa is a wonderful thing. However, it will not wipe her record clean of her transgressions.

AIDS and the wrath of God are not comparable.

1) AIDS affects us during our lives, not after we're dead.
2) AIDS is scientifically visible and provable. The wrath of God is not, unless, of course, you subscribe to the belief that a book written by man (even it is "inspired") is proof.
2a) Regarding "inspiration", interview any true writer. He will state that he does not write, the thoughts come to him, and he simply transcribes what he is told to write. Specifically, regarding Stephen King's epic masterpiece The Dark Tower, he has stated that the characters played themselves out. He never had any idea what they were going to do. They simply acted, and he transcribed. He has also described it as if he, too, was "inspired". Why are the writers of the Bible any different? I have no doubt they, too, were inspired. I have no doubt that the Book is a set of moral guidelines. I have no doubt that Jesus actually lived. That does not change the fact, however, that the book, regardless of how well it is written, is still fiction, just as much as the Gita is fiction and the Koran is fiction.

If a man was to come back and claim he was the second coming of Christ, odds are most people (Christians as well as unbelievers) would claim he was crazy, and they would be correct. However, if he was an especially charismatic person, I have no doubt he would be able to get a set of followers. If someone wrote a book about him and his life, he could become a legend, and in the future known as the second coming of Christ.
This ad space for sale.

No. He goes to hell because he’s broken the Law which requires justice.....

The Hindu may be very honorable by your standard and mine, however, he has broken the moral Law just like I have (and you have).

So Paj, are you going to hell?

Your attempts to justify Hell as the destination for any non believer are absolutely pathetic. You say that our evil deeds are to blame for going to hell, not rejection of Jesus.

But hang on a minute! You then say it is impossible for any human (who is not god incarnate) to not be wicked. Thats not our fault, thats a basic design flaw! If he wanted us to keep his law he should have made us better. Why should we be condemned to hell for Gods mistake?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Steve: For what it's worth, here's a link to
my philosophy about it all ...

www.dickmcmahon.com/beingamonkey.html

Dick

Actually, I read it from your BS thread. I'm not a creationist, but I found this to be interesting statement.
Then, something strange happened! Somewhere over the ocean violent electrical storms began charging certain molecules to form amino acids developing mirror-images of themselves (essentially the function of reproduction). Inanimate matter became life!

steveOrino

So Paj, are you going to hell?

No. But not because of anything I've done. The penalty for my lawlessness has been paid in full. When I'm judged, God will now only see the righteousness that is in Christ Jesus. I can be set free due to lack of evidence.

Your attempts to justify Hell as the destination for any non believer are absolutely pathetic. You say that our evil deeds are to blame for going to hell, not rejection of Jesus.

Oh, you will go to hell for rejection of Jesus but that is not the root cause of why. The root cause of your rejection is selfish rebellion (the laws you've broken). Ultimately, you send yourself to hell. You have a choice. Blaspheming the Holy Spirit (rejection of Jesus) is the only unforgivable sin. You have this lifetime to get it right. You don't know how long that will be. If you die in your sins, it will be like jumping without your parachute on.

But hang on a minute! You then say it is impossible for any human (who is not god incarnate) to not be wicked.

That's the point.

Thats not our fault, thats a basic design flaw! If he wanted us to keep his law he should have made us better. Why should we be condemned to hell for Gods mistake?

God says differently. It is your fault. He didn't create a robot. He created something that he could have a personal relationship with in order to bring him and demonstrate his glory. You are in rebellion against the very thing that gives you your life's breath.

People who quote texts based on the moral codes of 2000 years ago cannot be seriously considered today.

I know a lot of Christians that just read The New Testament. A majority of The New Testament contains the parables of Jesus, Jesus' quotes and teachings. The New Testament also contains passages about Love, Forgiveness, Compassion, Understanding, Fellowship, and Brotherhood. Those moral codes 2,000 years ago is still considered to be existent today with a lot of people. I don't think that could ever get old.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

People who quote texts based on the moral codes of 2000 years ago cannot be seriously considered today.

I know a lot of Christians that just read The New Testament. A majority of The New Testament contains the parables of Jesus, Jesus' quotes and teachings. The New Testament also contains passages about Love, Forgiveness, Compassion, Understanding, Fellowship, and Brotherhood. Those moral codes 2,000 years ago is still considered to be existent today with a lot of people. I don't think that could ever get old.

Just because one thing in a book is correct doesn't make the rest of the book correct as well.

Basic moral codes are stated in every religion and every guiding system. Just because the Bible states these moral codes that every sane man and woman in the world can agree with doesn't mean that everything else the book states is also true.

Specifically, yes, the Bible's teachings on love, forgivness, compassion, understand, fellowship, and brotherhood should be followed. Yes, Jesus' parables and teachings should be followed.

But, No, you're not going to suffer in eternal Hell for rejecting Jesus (unless you follow Steveorino's interpretation that Hell is symbolism for internal guilt, which I would agree with.) .... but from my readings, I am under the assumption that you think there is actually a physical Hell we will go to when we die.

Sorry, but ... No there's not.
This ad space for sale.

But, No, you're not going to suffer in eternal Hell for rejecting Jesus (unless you follow Steveorino's interpretation that Hell is symbolism for internal guilt, which I would agree with.) .... but from my readings, I am under the assumption that you think there is actually a physical Hell we will go to when we die.

Sorry, but ... No there's not.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I believe the fires of hell represent torment, the gnashing of teeth represent regret, and hell as a whole, represents the absence of God. I'm sorry if I confused you.

steveOrino

My apologies. I didn't go back to check the exact words.

Regardless, that I would agree with, with God representing purity.

The only difference is that, to me, that purity comes from within, whereas (I believe, and I may be mistaken) to you, as well as other Christians (and some religions) that purity comes from an external source.

That's fine. Whatever works.

It's when someone says the only way to work towards that purity is through one and only one road, and all other roads are lost, I take everything else that person says with a bushel of salt.
This ad space for sale.