steveorino

Honest questions for God

There is just as much evidence proving that Kirk Cameron is a USDA Grade-A certified whack job as there is evidence proving that my heathen Jesus-rejecting self is going to hell and as there is evidence that a magic omnipotent man in the sky created this world and will send me to Super Happy Fun Land if I accept that this other human is the son of the magic omnipotent man.

I can tell you've thought on this long and hard and put in some detailed research into the subject. :|

Aristotle was wrong about a lot of things too. A little bit of REAL evidence can scuttle a lot of theorizing and hearsay.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

None of which changes anything. He is a whack job.

Why? Because you have an expert opinion and you've said it is so? Pardon me for questioning. You kill me Kallend. :D

There is a good point....Kallend is commenting at the time, on a subject of this time, not commenting on something that happened four hundred years ago and asking you to accept it as truth without evidence.

I think I'll take Kallend's version of the truth on this particular matter. If I have a question, I can ask him as opposed to not being able to ask Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John.

BTW, the Christians on the CNN report? They're the Sunday morning televangelists, they're the local minister, they're the guy that takes food to the needy, they're 'everyman.' It's the attitude, much like Pajarito's that scares me. It's like listening to Castro, Hitler, or other fruitcake. "You *need* to hear what I say." "You need this or that."
What I need is to not be forced to hear this bullshit at every turn.
People get offended at gay men walking down the street proclaiming "we deserve equal rights." But very few get pissed off when evangelical Christians prevent you from crossing the street safely as they thrust a pamphlet at you uttering moronic platitudes such as "Jesus loves you" or "Get off the road to hell" or "I love you brother, let me save you."
Save me from what? The *only* thing I want to be saved from is hypocritical self-righteous pricks that continually split our culture/society/government.
Which is worse, a self-promoting, Bible thumping asshole like Archbishop Sanchez who has sex with little boys, or a hypocritical Congressman who speaks against homosexuality while having sex with little boys?
Both go to church, both quote the Bible, both have publically accepted Jesus as their Savior. Both hid their sexual proclivity for little boys for many, many years, during which time they asked their congregations to "have faith in them, God leads my path."
It's reprehensible. It's horrible. It's worthy of the death penalty, IMO.
But many mentally-challenged Americans believe that God "put these guys in office."
God exists, I don't doubt that.
But like every other product fad, Jesus has once again gotten old. I believe in the teachings of Bob Dylan. Maybe you should give his words a close look. They're actually from him, and exceptionally relevant to God, life, death, pain, and joy (Just like the Bible)
Maybe in a couple hundred years, whatever remains of a fragmented society following the split caused by Christianity, will deify Dylan! That would be cool.
We could start all over again with nothing but the 10 commandments and the golden rule.
Cuz that's all we need, and it's all we ever needed. The morally andspiritually bankrupt creeps like Kenneth Cope, Benny Hinn, Reg Dunlap, Jackie Kay,...they're just distributors of the product called "Jesus." We don't *need* him, we don't *need* them.
All we need is love and failing that, tolerance. Something typical Christians spout off about ad nauseum but are actually clueless with regard to the subject.

Back to the point of this thread as well...
"God, if you love your children so much, why in the universe did you create this bullshit that causes them to kill each other and continually fight like this over whether you said 'yes' or 'no' to movies on Sunday?"

Which seems to lead me to my question for god:

Would you accept my list of recommendations for your next 'creation' project?
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

The morally andspiritually bankrupt creeps like Kenneth Cope, Benny Hinn, Reg Dunlap, Jackie Kay,...they're just distributors of the product called "Jesus." We don't *need* him, we don't *need* them.

Benny Hill?

Benny Hill was funny and not a hypocrite. Benny Hinn is a hypocrite and not at all funny.

None of which changes anything. He is a whack job.

Why? Because you have an expert opinion and you've said it is so? Pardon me for questioning. You kill me Kallend. :D

So what do you think of Fred Phelps? He seems to be very knowledgeable on the Bible too? Does that make him not a whack job?

The morally andspiritually bankrupt creeps like Kenneth Cope, Benny Hinn, Reg Dunlap, Jackie Kay,...they're just distributors of the product called "Jesus." We don't *need* him, we don't *need* them.

Benny Hill?

Benny Hill was funny and not a hypocrite. Benny Hinn is a hypocrite and not at all funny.

I dunno, I heard he couldn't get it up and died a virgin, so much for the skirt chasing image!:D:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Serious question regarding two of your (their) catchphrases; First the "Gods love is a perfecting love" and second the "Christianity is the only religion that does not require good works".

I don’t believe I’ve ever said that good works aren’t necessary. As a matter of fact, “faith without works is dead.” However, for the born again Christian, good works do not come from his/her own goodness but through Christ who lives in us. Good works are one of the signs of a growing and maturing Christian. Don't get me wrong. Your good works cannot save you. Only through repentance and faith are you saved. Good works should follow salvation.

Umm, what? How can Gods love be 'perfecting' when all you need to do is repent rather than actually do anything good in order to win the game?

A good tree bears good fruit. A bad tree bears bad fruit. If a self-professing Christian isn’t bearing good fruit, he/she had better re-examine themselves to make sure they are in the faith and that their election is sure. By the way, the goal isn’t to “win the game.” It is simply to “run the good race.” God gets all the credit and glory.

Sigh. You keep misunderstanding people's posts, and then basing your replies on the misunderstanding. Then people have to take the time to explain to you about what they really meant. Then you do it all over again. I notice Skysaintj and SuperKat seem to do the same thing. Wonder why there's a pattern there. Sorry, I haven't the patience for it.

I guess you're just a lot smarter than me. I'll try and keep up. I don't mean to make you lose your patience.

One is known by their works. Those who preach their own agendas rather than what's Biblical are not to be trusted.

Are you truly this ignorant and blind to intelligent, reasonable, rational thought?
Thom Robb preaches from the bible, he's a Baptist minister, and studied in a seminary in Tucson, AZ. So you trust him? I'd like to meet him in an aircraft or dark alley.
Mark Foley preached from the pulpit in his church.
Ted Haggard did the same.
So did Jim Bakker.
Troy Taylor
Paul Williams
Dennis Bowling
Dennis Champagne
Timothy Rademacher
Aaron D. Rediger
All clergy of the Baptist, Assembly of God, Lutheran, or Presbyterian faiths. Each and every one of them are people of the cloth in their religion and have a pro-biblical agenda.
Having a pro- biblical agenda doesn't mean squat.

It just means that the preacher knows where his bread is buttered and how to grasp the most power via sales in the most successful multi-level marketing (MLM) scheme ever devised. it also goes to show that PT Barnum is right..."There's a sucker born every minute."
Some of them are even born again.
Too bad they didn't learn anything the first time.[:/]

Then you do it all over again. I notice Skysaintj and SuperKat seem to do the same thing. Wonder why there's a pattern there. Sorry, I haven't the patience for it.

I already told you that I'm new to this whole Christian thing for 3 years now. I'm still learning. Before that, I was the biggest atheist/unbeliever there was. Therefore, I have very very little knowledge of what other religions believe in or don't believe in. You're the one that wants to call me a liar for requoting what Catholics have told me. I have nothing against Catholics. My fiancee is Catholic. Her whole family is Catholic. Most of my friends are Catholics. I'm just repeating what other Catholics have told me.

Since we're not as smart, fast on the uptake as you are and since you don't have the patience to take the time to explain things, why even bother replying or calling people out on things?

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

I already told you that I'm new to this whole Christian thing for 3 years now. I'm still learning. Before that, I was the biggest atheist/unbeliever there was. Therefore, I have very very little knowledge of what other religions believe in or don't believe in.

Being an atheist/unbeliever has nothing to do with how much knowledge you have of what any of the religions believe.

But since you say that you have little knowledge of other religions, I am curious... What made you choose Christianity over Islam, Hinduism, or any other religion?

Are you truly this ignorant and blind to intelligent, reasonable, rational thought?

Wow. I hope I’m not as much of a dim as you say. That’s harsh. I understand you must be frustrated with the discussion. However, rather than resort to insults, why don’t you just find something else that you enjoy more. We can all discuss things here without attacking each other. That doesn’t accomplish much.

Thom Robb preaches from the bible, he's a Baptist minister, and studied in a seminary in Tucson, AZ. So you trust him? I'd like to meet him in an aircraft or dark alley.
Mark Foley preached from the pulpit in his church.
Ted Haggard did the same.
So did Jim Bakker.
Troy Taylor
Paul Williams
Dennis Bowling
Dennis Champagne
Timothy Rademacher
Aaron D. Rediger
All clergy of the Baptist, Assembly of God, Lutheran, or Presbyterian faiths. Each and every one of them are people of the cloth in their religion and have a pro-biblical agenda.
Having a pro- biblical agenda doesn't mean squat.

My quote from my previous post applies here:

One is known by their works. Those who preach their own agendas rather than what's Biblical are not to be trusted.

…and probably are not born again/saved.

It just means that the preacher knows where his bread is buttered and how to grasp the most power via sales in the most successful multi-level marketing (MLM) scheme ever devised. it also goes to show that PT Barnum is right..."There's a sucker born every minute."
Some of them are even born again.
Too bad they didn't learn anything the first time.[:/]

Granted, you’ve listed a long line of hypocrites and they represent a black eye on Christianity but why judge the religion based on the actions of its bad apples? That doesn’t make sense. A fairly clear sign that a person is not saved is if he/she continues in a “pattern of sin.” They may claim the Christian title but they are probably not born again. Just because you preach from the Bible doesn’t save you. Just because you go to church every Sunday and give to the needy doesn’t save you. Those are some of the attributes of true conversion but they are not what ultimately define it. As in Ted Haggard’s example, one does not continue to meet with prostitutes and purchase drugs if they have a changed heart. I don’t care how many times he’s preached from the pulpit. Many people sitting in church on Sunday are probably going to bust the gates of hell wide open when the time comes. Hypocrites fill every organization. The religious have no better record of righteousness than anyone else. All fall short of the glory of God.

I'll try again, because I don't believe anyone could possibly be this "dim" as you suggest.

So...for many years, people revered, trusted, looked up to...(we'll choose Jim Bakker but we all know the list is long and growing daily).
People asserted he was a man of god. His words were inspired, yadayadayada.
Then he's caught out.

Now along comes you and those like you, who purport that person XXXX is inspired, a man of god, yadayadayada. To the rest of us, he's just another hawker of an "AS SEEN ON TV!!!" product called "Jesus."
How, in any rationally approached thought process, can you know that the man leading you to your saviour now, is any different than Jim Bakker? Or any of the other charlatans that have been exposed.

I'll further as you this; have you walked where Jesus walked? Experienced the culture of the region? Read actual world history of the time vs the drivel that is printed in the bible? Are you aware of how the bible truthfully came about? It's no different than the Ronco "Hits of the 60's and 70's" that we see advertised at Xmas. It's a "best-of" and nothing more.
I've walked where Jesus walked, been most everywhere he went.
Because instead of believing in bullshit that was handed to me by my adoptive family, I sought the truth. Not in books, but with my works.
I didn't see any Jim Bakker's there, didn't see any Ted Haggard's there. Just people that look nothing like the moronic, dead-eyed Caucasian dude that lip-dripping rednecks in the USA have assigned as the character of Jesus.
Bottom line? Believe in whatever you want to believe. I've got no problem with that.
I just wish you all would keep your mouth's shut, and keep your nonsense to yourselves. Stay away from our lives, stay away from our deaths, stay away from the streets with your bullshit "jesus loves you" pamphlets, just "do unto others." You don't like me or anyone else getting in your face for your ignorant, uneducated beliefs in marketing managers for Jesus, right?
So, quit selling to us, and we'll quit bashing the product.
It's a simple, but universal concept.
And the only real truth in this entire thread.

Being an atheist/unbeliever has nothing to do with how much knowledge you have of what any of the religions believe.

Sure it does. Before, I couldn't give a rat's ass about other religions, including Christianity. I thought they were all whacko for believing in heaven and hell and believing in a God that you couldn't see. Therefore, why would I even bother learning about religion? It was a waste of my time at that time. I'd rather be out there bringing home different chicks every night and getting laid and givin' them cab fare to go home.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

Bottom line? Believe in whatever you want to believe. I've got no problem with that.
I just wish you all would keep your mouth's shut, and keep your nonsense to yourselves. Stay away from our lives, stay away from our deaths, stay away from the streets with your bullshit "jesus loves you" pamphlets....

Maybe you need to change your website. the part where you say. I don't believe in censorship. Not one whit. Lemme say it again in different words. CENSORSHIP IS WRONG. Period

steveOrino

Sure it does. Before, I couldn't give a rat's ass about other religions, including Christianity. I thought they were all whacko for believing in heaven and hell and believing in a God that you couldn't see. Therefore, why would I even bother learning about religion?

There are some atheists who know a lot about the various religions. It seems more logical to claim that you don't believe in these religions if you actually know a bit about them. You can learn about religion without choosing to follow it, and in a world where the majority of people believe in some sort of god(s), it would at least give you a better understanding of other people. And of course, those who are religious would probably benefit from learning about other religions as well.

I just wish you all would keep your mouth's shut, and keep your nonsense to yourselves. Stay away from our lives, stay away from our deaths, stay away from the streets with your bullshit "jesus loves you" pamphlets....

Maybe you need to change your website. the part where you say. I don't believe in censorship. Not one whit. Lemme say it again in different words. CENSORSHIP IS WRONG. Period

There's a difference between wanting to censor someone and just wishing they'd shut the hell up;)

There's a difference between wanting to censor someone and just wishing they'd shut the hell up;)

So you believe in free speech as long as they don't speak. I get it.;)

steveOrino

So you believe in free speech as long as they don't speak. I get it.;)

:|

You know thats not it. To put it another way, I'm sure you wish everyone could see the glory of God (or whatever) but you don't support state mandated religion.

You know thats not it.

If read his blog then his posts he obviously wants freedom of speech for himself, but wishes Paj would just "shut up" on a public forum about Christianity. Very telling I would say.

And I wish Rhys and skinnyflyer would shut up about the government blowing up the WTC. Never crossed my mind to make conspiracy theories illegal.

Don't lapse into the paranoid "Everyone's against Christians!" cliche. You're too good for that.