steveorino

Honest questions for God

Which is why Jesus came down from heaven to earth. He was trying to tell people, it doesn't matter if they obey the laws or not, what matter is the love that comes out of the heart. Anyone can follow laws it's more complicated to love, to be giving and forgive others.

Probably the reason that so many top Mafiosi are devout Christians.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you say so. Bro, Mafiosos are human too but they're catholics, not Christians. Christians, non-christians, believers and unbelievers sometimes get misguided. I don't know much about Catholics. I'm not judging but I have heard that if a Catholic commits a sin and confesses to a Father, then his sins will be forgiven. I can't judge them, I'm just speculating here, but knowing that is the custom they may or may not feel that they can basically do certain things and just ask for forgiveness and be done with it. This is a topical debate that you might want to take with a devout Catholic.

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

they're catholics, not Christians.

What an absolute load of unmitigated horseshit. What incredible born-again arrogance. What a crushing lack of understanding of the world. Try telling my fiercely devout Catholic parents-in-law that they're not Christians. They will laugh in your face, and rightfully so -- Bro.

If you say so. Bro, Mafiosos are human too but they're catholics, not Christians. .

Quite right! Ecumenism is only for doubters. When you know the one true road to God, you know that all others are heretics.

(PS I think you should use a capital "C")

What an absolute load of unmitigated horseshit. What incredible born-again arrogance. Try telling my fiercely devout Catholic parents-in-law that they're not Christians. They will laugh in your face, and rightfully so.

Whoa bro....take off those tighty whiteys. Maybe you need to take a dump and unload all that constipation or something. Sheesh.

I've heard many Catholics label themselves as Roman Catholic and I've heard many label themselves as Christian Catholic. I've even heard many Catholics say that they're not Christian, they're Catholics.

Christians don't worship saints and they don't worship Mary. Catholics do. Which is how they are different.

I've even heard many Catholics say that they're not Christian, they're Catholics.

Have you? Really?
Your pants are on fire.

Christians don't worship saints and they don't worship Mary. Catholics do. Which is how they are different.

I say again: what a crushing lack of understanding. You do not have the slightest idea what the hell you're talking about.

Have you? Really?
Your pants are on fire.

Why would I lie about that? What do I have to gain to lie about something like that. Why even debate with me if you even think that I'm lying to you? It doesn't make sense. Why are you so uptight?

I say again: what a crushing lack of understanding. You do not have the slightest idea what the hell you're talking about.

Well, instead of hammering me about it, why don't you enlighten me? I already mentioned in my previous posts that I'm still learning. You wouldn't educate inexperienced skydivers the same way. Lighten up bro, explain to me why I'm wrong so I can learn from it instead of being such a hammer about it.

(PS I think you should use a capital "C")

There you go being uptight again. lol j/k :D

I can't edit it because you already replied to it. You should have PM'd me first. ;)

Since "Catholic" is generally taken to mean pertaining to the Roman church, and "catholic" means "universal", I think of it as being precise, not uptight.

Since "Catholic" is generally taken to mean pertaining to the Roman church, and "catholic" means "universal", I think of it as being precise, not uptight.

Sheesh doesn't anyone joke around here any more? I was just busting your chops regarding me not making the "C" capitol in Catholic. Thanks for the little lesson though, I didn't know that.

Are you serious?!? Christianity is no where near different from any other religion on the planet. The Mormon religion is based on Christianity. Islam is practically based on the Old Testament, they even believe Jesus was a prophet, just not the son of god. Christianity is not special in any way. The Jewish religion was even based off origianl Christianity, they just didn't believe Jesus was their savior, they wanted a warrior not a passovist. P.S. If Chuck Norris was Jesus, he would have kicked ass for our sins, not died like a pussy.B|

There's no need to use blasphemy and be offensive in order to make your point. All other religions are "work righteous" based. You have to do something or work for your own righteousness or enlightenment (e.g. Righteousness comes from your own efforts). Christianity stands alone in that righteousness only comes through repentance and faith in the Savior. It is not of yourself. You are sinful by nature and do not merit righeousness. Here is what Mormonism teaches. Doesn't sound much like Christianity to me.

I think humans have religion wrong for the most part.

I believe all the paths lead to the One God in their own way.

As long as you believe in the One God, whatever way you believe in him, and thank him for everything bestowed upon this earth, then you are following the correct path(s).

What about a billion Hindus? What's wrong with their gods?

he sticks to caste from first to last
but for clothes he makes his skindu....

that's just wrong. Next question.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Christianity is radically and completely different from any other religion on the planet that you might follow or even make up for yourself.

Are you serious?!? Christianity is no where near different from any other religion on the planet. The Mormon religion is based on Christianity. Islam is practically based on the Old Testament, they even believe Jesus was a prophet, just not the son of god. Christianity is not special in any way. The Jewish religion was even based off origianl Christianity, they just didn't believe Jesus was their savior, they wanted a warrior not a passovist. P.S. If Chuck Norris was Jesus, he would have kicked ass for our sins, not died like a pussy.B|

OOOhhh nooo !!! you are soooo lost son...what happened ? Poor thing :(

Sorry, I was a little drunk when I wrote that:$

;)
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

Christianity is radically and completely different from any other religion on the planet that you might follow or even make up for yourself.

You're kidding, right? Mormonism has nothing to do with Christianity. Mormonism was (and still somewhat is) a front for having sex with little girls and marrying them. Joseph Smith and the famous "tar and feather" story that Mormons tell, conveniently leaves out the fact that he was to be tarred and feathered for having sex with a 13 year old girl. He hired a doctor to castrate Smith, but at the moment of truth, the doctor felt it was a violation of his Hippocratic oath. So Smith was tarred and feathered instead.
Islam has nothing to do with Christianity. Islam doesn't claim to have a Son of God in it's origins. Only that a man (a MAN, not a diety) talked to God.
Judaism founded on Christianity? Who have you been talking to? That's insane.
Bhuddism, Hindu, Druidism have nothing to do with Christianity either. Nor does traditional religions of most non-white cultures.
Christianity runs a far, far distant third in the world religions.
Christianity is screwed. It's screwed our country as well. Anyone of any reasonable intelligence knows that a goodly portion of the bible is false/fiction. But it can never be proven so, because politically, it would end the life of the US as we know it. All great Empires fall, just as Greece, Rome, Ottoman Empire, etc have done. But imagine Christianity being truly exposed for what it is... The rest of the world gets to then say "We've been saying this for centuries, and you're just now getting it..." Politically it would destroy us, because it automatically gives the upper hand morally, religiously, and socially to every non-Christian religion. Therefore it is in the best interests of the US in terms of economics, politics, and military posture to maintain the fact or fiction of Christianity.
Watching Anderson Cooper's "What is a Christian" on CNN tonight, I'm more scared of the Christian faith than I ever before. The gall, the arrogance, the attitude these people portray is truly something everyone should be frightened of.
If nothing else, the mere amount of money that flows into but not out of these various Christian faiths should be illegal.

It does a person no good to know the rules if they don't believe in the rule maker. That is what this country is founded upon.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Mormonism has nothing to do with Christianity. Mormonism was (and still somewhat is) a front for having sex with little girls and marrying them....
Islam has nothing to do with Christianity....
Christianity runs a far, far distant third in the world religions.
Christianity (has) screwed our country...
Anyone of any reasonable intelligence knows that a goodly portion of the bible is false/fiction. But it can never be proven so, because politically, it would end the life of the US as we know it.
All great Empires fall, just as Greece, Rome, Ottoman Empire, etc have done. But imagine Christianity being truly exposed for what it is... The rest of the world gets to then say "We've been saying this for centuries, and you're just now getting it..." Politically it would destroy us, because it automatically gives the upper hand morally, religiously, and socially to every non-Christian religion. Therefore it is in the best interests of the US in terms of economics, politics, and military posture to maintain the fact or fiction of Christianity.
Watching Anderson Cooper's "What is a Christian" on CNN tonight, I'm more scared of the Christian faith than I ever before. The gall, the arrogance, the attitude these people portray is truly something everyone should be frightened of.
If nothing else, the mere amount of money that flows into but not out of these various Christian faiths should be illegal.

WOW! :o

Who says there's no irrational hostility towards Christianity in this country? :S

If someone harmed my wife then yes I would personally wish to inflict tremendous sufferi ng and would act upon that wish if I could. But that is probably because I am a mere human subject to our petty flaws like the gut desire for vengeance when wronged. I expect that god to be able to act with more restraint.

So, it appears that you do believe in some moral absolutes. It also sounds like your retribution would be based solely on anger and vengeance. Don’t get me wrong, God has made it clear in the Bible that he is angered with sin. However, punishment in hell is not based on that. If that person who raped & murdered your wife stood trial, was found guilty, and was then standing in front of the judge for sentencing, would it be alright with you if the Judge decided to let the convict go without justice being served? What if that criminal sincerely changed his life and for 10 years before capture, gave to charity, worked for a home for battered women, served his country in war, and led his Sunday school class at church? What if he was really, really sorry and felt guilty for what he had done? What if he pleaded with the Judge, because he knew that the Judge was an exceptionally good man, to let him go based on what he has done since. Should that Judge let that person go who brutally raped and murdered your wife? Wouldn’t that make him a corrupt Judge? Does the fact that the convict has done all these things, changed his life, and is sincerely sorry have anything at all to do with the crime on his record that requires justice? God is holy. God is just. God is also love. Those are attributes of God given in the Bible. That love, however, is a perfecting love and it is demonstrated in that, while we were still sinners, he died for us. It is not at the exclusion of his nature of being just requiring that all sin be punished. That is unreasonable.

You are losing me on this. I appreciate your willingness to try to explain this but the rationale is going over my head. Maybe if you could try to explain to me in laymens terms why some of the lesser sins (gluttony, jealousy..etc) might deserve hell. I guess I cannot get over the bit about the suffering being eternal. I do not undertsand scripture so please explain in simple terms why he needs to keep a soul suffering for an eternity. If hell is actually a lake of fire then obviously every second is horrific agony. After five trillion centuries of suffering (for acts committed during 65-85 years of life) is there not an argument that a loving god might simply end the suffering? If he still will not let them into heaven than can he not simply end thier misery after having made his point by torching them for a few millenia?

If I lied to my children, they might not like it but they couldn’t do much about it. If I lied to my wife, she could cause more havoc in my life and might divorce me. If I lied to the Government, that is called perjury and they could put me in jail and ruin my life. Now try and think of it in terms of an infinite perfect God (it’s hard for me) who requires moral perfection and cannot be in the presence of sin. The smallest white lie is evidence of an evil and wicket heart. It is an offense on your long record of offenses which requires justice. The Bible does say that a person will be judged by what he has done alluding to the idea that there are varying degrees of punishment in hell. However, it doesn’t really matter, does it? If you are found guilty of even what “you” would consider a very minor sin, you will go to the same prison and it will be forever.

Rather glad to hear this. I know 2 people who have done this and while neither one was a saint they were genuinely good people who were always kind to others and who just made a tragic choice at a time of tremendous suffering. I hate to think that they are suffering right now in pain when it was unbearable pain they were trying to escape.

I don’t mean to be direct and certainly not offensive and uncaring but “were they genuinely good people? Based on whose standard of goodness? Without the righteousness of Christ, if they’ve lied, stolen, committed adultery, blasphemed, etc., then they had crimes on their record which had to be accounted for.

What criteria would have to have been met for them too have committed suicide and not get sent to hell?

Given that I can’t speak for sure on this topic b/c it is not expanded on in the Bible, here is an idea. A person may have sincerely repented and put their trust in the Savior earlier in life. That person may have developed or always had a medical problem which contributed to severe depression which they couldn’t control. Granted, taking your own life is obviously a sin, but it is not unforgivable. The only unforgivable sin is blaspheming the Holy Spirit (e.g. wasting the time you have available to choose “the Way, the Truth, and the Life: John 14:6).

It does a person no good to know the rules if they don't believe in the rule maker. That is what this country is founded upon.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Our Government is founded on a basic distrust of the people in charge. Checks and balances in government are really checks and balances on the selfish natures and corrupt potential of the people who rule. The comparison of our government with God's sovereignty isn't possible. By definition, God is (infinite) love, holy, and just. He is righteous by a perfect standard. He is the only one you can put your full trust in without fear of being let down.

Our Government is founded on a basic distrust of the people in charge. Checks and balances in government are really checks and balances on the selfish natures and corrupt potential of the people who rule. The comparison of our government with God's sovereignty isn't possible. By definition, God is (infinite) love, holy, and just. He is righteous by a perfect standard. He is the only one you can put your full trust in without fear of being let down.

Sorry, I did not explain correctly again. I was getting at the point that rules do not matter if you do not believe the rule maker exists or you do not believe the rule maker is creating rules for your safety and happiness.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Sinful men stand in moral judgment over a holy God, but He alone holds their breath in His hands.
--Ray Comfort, "Out of the Comfort Zone"

The world's gurus can tell you everything about this life except how to keep it. How uttery tragic.

As long as man is left in ignorance of the Law of God, he will list himself up onto his throne of self-righteousness and accuse God of crimes against humanity. However, when the Law is allowed to do its wonderful work, it shows that we, not God, are the criminals, and that God is justified in all His deeds. When sin is seen in truth, one is left questioning the mercy of God, not His judgments.

Sorry, I did not explain correctly again. I was getting at the point that rules do not matter if you do not believe the rule maker exists or you do not believe the rule maker is creating rules for your safety and happiness.

I don't believe in paying my taxes. I also don't believe that whoever created the law that says I must pay my taxes every year exists. If the Government catches up with me, will I not still wind up in prison? My guess is that I would whether I believe it or not.

Added: That was just an example. I pay my taxes and believe that one should. I just don't agree with how much they take. I still pay it but I digress.

I think humans have religion wrong for the most part.

I believe all the paths lead to the One God in their own way.

As long as you believe in the One God, whatever way you believe in him, and thank him for everything bestowed upon this earth, then you are following the correct path(s).

Why leave out those who believe in many gods? I believe in the Powerpuff Girls' ability to save me from evil. I thank them for everything bewtowed upon this Earth. In my own way, they are my gods. Am I on the same path as you? Who are you to say that my gods are irrelevant and your one god is?