steveorino

Honest questions for God

The forces that drive crystallization of lava had to come from somewhere. The forces of nature which creates snowflakes in their random intricateness had to come from somewhere. Gravity pulling water through the canyon which forms those enormous walls had to come from somewhere. That's part of what makes it all so fantastically complex and hard to believe it all came into existence and developed from nothing.

I think it's that the creation is evidence for the existence of God (not us b/c we are part of that creation) based on the idea that a painting is evidence that there must have been a painter.

And a painter is evidence that there must have been a mummy and daddy painter. Oh, but you skim over that part, don't you?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

God, why do people always go off the original topic when replying to a post in SC regarding Christianity?

Nevermind God, I've done that at least a million times already.

Anyway, here's another question.

God, how do I get to be cool and create the same thread twice on SC?

And how come there are replies on both threads?

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2596340#2596340

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2596336#2596336

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

>The forces of nature which creates snowflakes in their random intricateness
>had to come from somewhere.

I agree, and we know where they come from now. The things listed above were examples of processes that do not need an intelligent creator. We understand that now. We understand that the processes that drive crystallization are ALSO not the product of an intelligent creator; they are a product of other forces we understand (chemical bonds, thermodynamics.) These in turn are products of other, deeper processes we understand (Maxwell's equations, the four basic forces.) A materials scientist could spend semesters teaching people how crystals form based on the underlying physics of the process.

As of right now, we don't know the next step below that. We don't know why, for example, the Planck Constant is set like it is. We probably will someday. When we do discover that, when we do finally understand how those fundamental values interrelate and came to be, then we'll have a more complete understanding of our universe. We will never completely understand it, of course. But someday we will know so much more than we do now that we will consider the people of 2006 to be laughably ignorant.

There is a chance that we will never understand those things - but it's a slim one. Our history has been one of endless discovery, of pushing back the frontiers of knowledge into territory that was once ignorance. I would hate to base my beliefs on that frontier of knowledge suddenly stopping - because history has shown that it won't do that for long. Belief based on ignorance is a short-lived belief indeed.

The church resisted the idea of a heliocentric solar system for many, many years, because they feared that once people realized that they were NOT the center of creation, they would abandon god for science. They tortured and killed people to try to maintain that boundary of ignorance. When it finally fell, the church did not fall. Indeed, they did themselves far more harm by trying to _stop_ the advance of science; to this day it's one of the darker periods of the catholic church.

I hope people today do not make the same mistake. I hope they do not pin the validity of their beliefs on our current inability to understand how the first protolife formed, or how the physical constants came to be. Because if many people do that, we may see a repeat of the defense of the borders of ignorance that we saw during the early days of the church. And those were dark days indeed.

there was no such thing as 'sin', until the roman CATHOLIC church invented it, around 300 BCE, to scare an uneducated and illiterate populace in to submitting to the authority of the 'church'. the historical record estimates 60 million people burned, tortured, raped, and executed for refusing to bow their knee to YAHWEH(the jewish GOD OF WAR) and yeshua.

www.newsforthesoul.com has a totally intelligent, rational, and kind discussion of 'SATAN' online for free!!!
we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively

wishers never choose, choosers never wish

there was no such thing as 'sin', until the roman CATHOLIC church invented it, around 300 BCE, to scare an uneducated and illiterate populace in to submitting to the authority of the 'church'.

The book of John was written hundreds of years before the timeframe of your assertion. "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law."
-- 1 John 3:4

The Catholic Church certainly can't take credit for that. You crack me up.

And a painter is evidence that there must have been a mummy and daddy painter. Oh, but you skim over that part, don't you?

God is the uncaused cause.

So why can't nature be the uncaused cause?

Matter which does not exist cannot bring itself into existence.

Please explain how by asking for forgiveness one can be cleansed from a lifetime of rape and murder. Yet Ghandi is going to hell?

Good point...

“It is a constant torture to me that I am still so far from Him whom I know to be my very life and being. I know it is my own wretchedness and wickedness that keeps me from Him.”
--Mahatma Ghandi

Please explain how by asking for forgiveness one can be cleansed from a lifetime of rape and murder. Yet Ghandi is going to hell?

Good point...

“It is a constant torture to me that I am still so far from Him whom I know to be my very life and being. I know it is my own wretchedness and wickedness that keeps me from Him.”
--Mahatma Ghandi

So he understood humility. When asked why he did not embrace Christianity, he stated:

The missionaries come to India thinking that they come to a land of heathen, of idolaters, of men who do not know God. My own experiences all over India have been on the contrary. An average Indian is as much a seeker after truth as the Christian missionaries are, possibly more so.

Please do not flatter yourselves with the belief that a mere recital of that celebrated verse in St. John makes a man Christian. If I have read the Bible correctly, I know many men who have never known the name of Jesus Christ, men who have even rejected the official interpretations of Christianity, but would nevertheless, if Jesus came in our midst today in the flesh, be probably owned by him more than many of us. My position is that it does not matter what faith you practice, as long as the soul longs for truth.

Your path is not the only way to purity.

It might be right for you, and it might be right for many people, but that does not mean it is right for everybody.

And it is idiotic to believe that it is. And it is downright self-righteous to push your path down others' throats.
This ad space for sale.

That's just giving a name to a logical fallacy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So why can't nature be the uncaused cause?

Says who?

How do Gods bring themselves into existence?

So he understood humility. When asked why he did not embrace Christianity, he stated:

The missionaries come to India thinking that they come to a land of heathen, of idolaters, of men who do not know God. My own experiences all over India have been on the contrary. An average Indian is as much a seeker after truth as the Christian missionaries are, possibly more so.

Please do not flatter yourselves with the belief that a mere recital of that celebrated verse in St. John makes a man Christian. If I have read the Bible correctly, I know many men who have never known the name of Jesus Christ, men who have even rejected the official interpretations of Christianity, but would nevertheless, if Jesus came in our midst today in the flesh, be probably owned by him more than many of us. My position is that it does not matter what faith you practice, as long as the soul longs for truth.

It seems that he acknowledged his sin in my quote but is rationalizing it with yours saying that he and many he knows are still good people. At least they are probably as good as or better than the missionaries he mentioned. Ghandi has broken the moral Law of God during his lifetime just like everybody else. “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” “There is no one who seeks after God, no not one.” Either God is lying or Ghandi is and God cannot lie.

Your path is not the only way to purity.

Nothing else but the blood of Jesus can pay your debt. There is no other way which can make you righteous in the eyes of God. Nothing you do can possibly save you. Religion can’t save you.

It might be right for you, and it might be right for many people, but that does not mean it is right for everybody.

And it is idiotic to believe that it is. And it is downright self-righteous to push your path down others' throats.

It is the only path for anybody who will stand before the just judge of the world. I’m not pushing anything down your throat. It’s up to you to decide. I just hope you make an informed decision.

Nothing else but the blood of Jesus can pay your debt. There is no other way which can make you righteous in the eyes of God. Nothing you do can possibly save you. Religion can’t save you.

Q.E.D.

QEF >:(:ph34r:

Such a deep and insightful reply!

I love the way you guys just discard consistency for convenience. "The universe is so complex it must have had a cause, everything complex is caused by something!"
"God is complex."
"God doesn't need a cause!"
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Says who?

1st Law of Thermodynamics

No it doesn't.

How do Gods bring themselves into existence?

"God" didn't bring himself into existence. He has always existed. Nothing "caused" him.

Contradicts your previous claim. If God is part of creation, he must have had a creator.

Says who?

1st Law of Thermodynamics

No it doesn't.

First Law of Thermodynamics - Neither matter nor energy can be created or destroyed. God is neither matter or energy. He created both of those things just like he created the laws which govern them. He also created time. The Creator is above his creation. He's not part of his own creation. How could he be? That is illogical.

Contradicts your previous claim. If God is part of creation, he must have had a creator.

He's not. If I paint a painting, I'm not also the painting that I painted. I'm the painter. The painting is simply an expression of mine.