BillyVance

Traveler sues after her joke goes awry

After following this thread. All i know is, i am no longer going to carry coffeemate in a ziploc bag. I am serious! When i used to travel back and fourth from england to spain, that's how we carried coffeemate. I guess we were committing a crime of some sort.
If anyone can show me where it says it is illegal to carry flour in a condom anywhere in the TSA rules then you have a point.
Wether it was a joke or not. It is not illegal:S
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

What is the point of filling condoms if you aren't then going to hide them in your body? It makes no sense does it? The profile was NOT one of a drug smuggler.

No, her profile was not one of a drug smuggler... But me, personally, the way my mind works... I tend to want to avoid hassles, whether they be justified hassles or unjustified hassles, so I probably wouldn't put condoms filled with flour in my suitcase because it would actually occur to me that an airport security guard might mistake it for something that it is not... and while that seems a bit stupid on the security guard's part, I would just rather avoid the situation than have to deal with it, so I would leave the flour-filled condoms behind.

But again, she didn't deserve to be held for three weeks while they figured out that it was only flour; missing her flight might have been acceptable, but anything beyond that seems to be a failure on the part of the system. And even if they caused her to miss her flight, they should have been responsible for getting another one for her... But even so, common sense would have helped her to avoid the hassle in the first place... Though I do think that she is justified in suing them for the harm that was done to her due to the failure in the system.

Yeah, however, someone who has NEVER done drugs (not saying you have) and is completely innocent and naive would NOT think about what something might look like. After all, she wasn't even doing anything wrong.

I agree... she wasn't technically doing anything wrong... I was just pointing out that thinking above and beyond what is generally expected will sometimes allow you to avoid a bit of hassle in life... since life is imperfect and all... But legally, I do believe that she is now owed something for the inadequacy of the authorities in this case...

Yeah, however, someone who has NEVER done drugs (not saying you have) and is completely innocent and naive would NOT think about what something might look like. After all, she wasn't even doing anything wrong.

Uhh yeah, she's incredibly stupid.

BUT, I am extraordinarily concerned that a government field test would give a "positive" result on flour. It also *really* disturbs me that she was held for 3 weeks waiting for a lab result. NOT okay....

Especially since the field test said the flour contained opium & cocaine. To my knowledge, those substances are NEVER mixed, most especially by a delivery person (as opposed to an end-user).

Just another example of complete genius at work, on both sides.

Tests take so long because they are busy testing other samples. They dont sit in a fridge somewhere for the fun of it. Im sure it was dealt with as quickly as it could have been. I say tough shit, she was unlucky but shouldnt be given any compensation because it was idiotic of her. Lucky she wasnt in some other country where theyd have cut her head off

Tests take so long because they are busy testing other samples. They dont sit in a fridge somewhere for the fun of it. Im sure it was dealt with as quickly as it could have been. I say tough shit, she was unlucky but shouldnt be given any compensation because it was idiotic of her. Lucky she wasnt in some other country where theyd have cut her head off

She did NOT fit the profile of a smuggler. The flour was not concealed. "Other countries/companies/people are worse" is NOT a defense.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

THey had suspicion, thats all they need. The test was unfortunately wrong. These are the facts that the had at the time. They acted upon these facts. Bravo to them

actually thats isnt all they need.. at least it didnt used to be. Americans USED to have rights..... and they shouldnt be applauded for such rank stupidity even if they thought they were doing what they were supposed to...

> I say tough shit, she was unlucky but shouldnt be given any
> compensation because it was idiotic of her. Lucky she wasnt in some other
>country where theyd have cut her head off.

Nope. Other countries aren't so silly about this stuff. If you were leaving an Indian manufacturing plant with samples of injection molded plastic in your luggage, you wouldn't be executed for smuggling ivory - even if their customs agents were as dumb as ours. The US is pretty much leading the world in unreasonable searches/seizures nowadays.

>The US is pretty much leading the world in unreasonable searches/seizures nowadays.

:S wow

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I agree...anothe example of how slanted someone's view can be.:|

Well, apparently many in Congress, including Republicans, have the same slant. The issue came up at the Alito hearings this morning.

Yet, you thinking that the US is in par to lets say Lybia, is not slanted is not exagerated? I could least at least 30 countries that have much worse track record.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

>Yet, you thinking that the US is in par to lets say Lybia . . .

>I could least at least 30 countries that have much worse track record.

I can think of perhaps 10.

We used to be the leader of the free world; the standerd by which liberty was judged. Now even the righties say things like "hey, we're not as bad as Libya!" "Yeah, we may break a few rules, but Saddam Hussein was worse." What a thing to be proud of.

>"The US is pretty much leading the world in unreasonable searches/seizures nowadays."

{followed by}

I can think of perhaps 10.

So you do readily admit you were being dramatic to get a point across. Or consider "pretty much" to equal "top 11" by definition.

Kallend would call you a liar.

I'd say it's more of a chicken little symptom - although in this case, the procedures of at least this particular security checkpoint certainly don't dovetail well with stupid girls on travel.

Hopefully
1 - they get better test kits,
2 - people consider that, although they have perfect right to package legal substances any way they want to, it's pretty much a total asshole move to purposely mess with other people trying to do their jobs. They courteous thing would be to not bait others (equivalent to somebody in kallend's class standing up every five minutes and firing off bottle rockets or playing a boom box, equivalent to someone unplugging my computer at work just cause it's funny - analogies are fun)
3 - the security team can learn to retest in a few hours rather than 3 days.
etc

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>So you do readily admit you were being dramatic to get a point across.

Yeah; I should have said "the US is one of the leaders." My bad.

>1 - they get better test kits

Agreed.

>2 - people consider that, although they have perfect right to package
> legal substances any way they want to, it's pretty much a total
> asshole move to purposely mess with other people trying to do their
> jobs.

I agree too - but that is NOT what happened in this case. It's like you going to a plastic injection molding facility in India, coming back with some plastics samples, and getting arrested for smuggling elephant ivory. If someone claimed "he SHOULD spend a few weeks in jail, so he will learn not to make asshole moves like purposely messing with the customs inspectors by bringing fake ivory back" would they have a point?

>3 - the security team can learn to retest in a few hours rather than 3 days.

Agreed as well.

FYI...

Crystal balls are no longer standard police issue

No crystal ball is needed to know that drug smugglers don't go to the bother of packing stuff in condoms and then packing the condoms in their bags! A little common sense is all that's required.

A little closer to a police state every day.

>I agree too - but that is NOT what happened in this case.

I can't help but think she was trying to do this on purpose to dink with the agents. (Despite her story/excuse later on). But that's just my opinion. If she was really just being dumb, well.....:S - of course your analogy is good - but I still don't consider freefallers to be overweight and narrow as a rule.