BillyVance

Traveler sues after her joke goes awry

Actually, drugs are not on the TSA list of prohibited items they are to confiscate.

But like I said, drug checking at the airport has been going on for long before TSA was invented. And it should have been passed off to those who knew what the hell they were doing.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

>I could agree that TSA probably should alert DEA or another
> specialized federal agency equipped to process suspected drugs
> contraband instead of handling such incidents directly.

I agree there too. The TSA's job is NOT to stop drug smugglers. It's not their specialty, and as a result they are more likely to screw it up, as they did in this case. They should do the job they were hired to do, which is to screen for threats to aviation safety.

However, there is nothing wrong with seeing something odd and notifying another agency, one who has expertise in the area (in this case, drug smuggling) - and then letting them handle it.

I agree.
She attends a very good college which indicates she is very smart. This was done deliberately to cause a problem. This is no better than packing a fake bomb in your luggage on the chance the screeners would catch it.

Integrity - the courage to do what is right - Failed
Respect - Respect for yourself and others - Failed
Responsibility - Responsibility for you actions and inactions - Failed
Accountability - Facing the consequences - Failed.

Though I do not understand the fact the police could not distinguish flour from illegal substances quickly and think they were trying to be ass hats about this, do think she should have to pay resitution and do community service as a screener.

We need to hold a high but resonable standard for our youth. If we do not, each succesive generation loses more of what it takes to become well adjusted productive adults.

I have personally seen a 6th grader beat his teacher to the ground continuing to pummel him until being pulled off. Even after being pulled off he continued to fight and had to be physically restrained.

His punishment, 6 months of counseling and nothing for the parents who failed him so miserably. The teachers who pulled him off and restrained him were suspended and face prosecution for abusing the child.

She didn't do anything wrong

I disagree. The facts indicate that she deliberately presented airport security personnel with a false security concern. Her actions resulted in a reasonably anticipated expenditure of scarce resources to disprove probable contraband. She deserves to be punished and if I was her parent I would throw her ass out onto the street. WTF has common sense disappeared to these days?

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

It’s shocking that somebody could actually argue TSA personnel who reasonably believe a pax is carrying illegal drugs on board a commercial flight should simply turn a blind eye......I could agree that TSA probably should alert DEA or another specialized federal agency equipped to process suspected drugs contraband instead of handling such incidents directly.

There's the best answer of the bunch. That and Salsa John's last one.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I agree.
She attends a very good college which indicates she is very smart. This was done deliberately to cause a problem. This is no better than packing a fake bomb in your luggage on the chance the screeners would catch it.

Do you read?

That naivete, she said, began when screeners at Philadelphia International Airport inspecting her checked luggage found three condoms filled with white powder. Lee laughed and told city police they were filled with flour. It was just part of a phallic gag at a women's college, she told them, a stress-reliever, something to squeeze while studying for exams.

Where does it say this was done to deliberately cause a problem?
This ad space for sale.

Where does it say this was done to deliberately cause a problem?

Another article cited in this thread quoted the young woman as having said, "Mostly, I was worried because I had missed my flight, and now I had to make up an excuse to tell my parents."

Why did she need to “make up an excuse to tell” her parents if she knew that she had done nothing wrong? An intelligent person could have adquately explained to his/her parents the nature of the stress relief devices without going into possibly embarassing specifics re the condoms.

BTW3 since flour itself is explosive www.fireworld.com/magazine/grainperil.html maybe you'd just like to ban all flour and bread products form planes, trains and buses.

Either that or put taggants in it. :S

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Dude, seriously. Read the link to the Philadelphia Inquirer's article.

The young woman is from a traditional Koren family. At the moment she was only worried about missing her flight she believed law enforcement would correctly confirm her claims.

For an innocent law abiding person, explaining to your traditional Koren family why the government falsely arrested you. An honest law abiding person, falsely arrested, probably isn't socially equipped to contrive lies and deception.:P
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Actually, drugs are not on the TSA list of prohibited items they are to confiscate.

But like I said, drug checking at the airport has been going on for long before TSA was invented. And it should have been passed off to those who knew what the hell they were doing.

Well said!
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Dude, seriously. Read the link to the Philadelphia Inquirer's article.

Dude! Where do ya think I got the quote I posted?

An honest law abiding person, falsely arrested, probably isn't socially equipped to contrive lies and deception.

So then why did she say that she needed to make something up to tell them, as reported in the article?

What part of "they don't look like flour" do you not understand?

Define your “they” and I’ll respond accordingly.

Much as I liked rehmwa's answer, "they" in this context is "the powder samples you would have me believe look like flour."

The only thing I hate worse than lawyer tricks are lawyers. :|

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

This is no better than packing a fake bomb in your luggage on the chance the screeners would catch it.

Oh come on, since when has it been illegal to carry a block of plasticene some wires an alarm clock and a battery rigged in the manner of a bomb in your suitcase?

;)

What part of "they don't look like flour" do you not understand?

Define your “they” and I’ll respond accordingly.

Much as I liked rehmwa's answer, "they" in this context is "the powder samples you would have me believe look like flour."

The only thing I hate worse than lawyer tricks are lawyers. :|

rl

Lawyers are like sewers. You need to wash thoroughly after any contact, but it's hard to do without them.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Oh come on, since when has it been illegal to carry a block of plasticene some wires an alarm clock and a battery rigged in the manner of a bomb in your suitcase?

“Just in the interests of disclosure, our art laboratory is less than 40 feet from where I sit right now. We have all sorts of modeling compounds there including plasticine. I can assure you that plasticine smells and tastes nothing like semtex or c4.” ;)

This is no better than packing a fake bomb in your luggage on the chance the screeners would catch it.

;)

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CWU/is_2004_Dec_16/ai_n8577062

They'd probably miss it anyway, being too busy looking for fake drugs.;)

plasticine smells and tastes nothing like semtex or c4.” ;)

Try it on toast with a bit of mayonaise and bacon.

Edit: The other response, is "there he goes, blasting his mouth off" but that's blatant plaguerism

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

“Just in the interests of disclosure, our art laboratory is less than 40 feet from where I sit right now. We have all sorts of modeling compounds there including plasticine. I can assure you that plasticine smells and tastes nothing like semtex or c4.” ;)

You have real difficulty with materials properties. Plasticene is not the problem:

It's fine to pack a snack in your carry-on. And probably the best way to ensure you'll get something to eat in-flight since airline meals have all but disappeared. However, don't put food in your checked luggage. Because of their organic content, foods like cheese, chocolate, or fruitcake can be mistaken by bomb detection machines for explosives.

Try it on toast with a bit of mayonaise and bacon.

Actually for the kiddies out there I suppose I should issue a warning that both semtex and c4 are highly toxic and they shouldn't try this at home. Plasticene just tastes bland, so a little mayo couldn't hurt.

It's fine to pack a snack in your carry-on. And probably the best way to ensure you'll get something to eat in-flight since airline meals have all but disappeared. However, don't put food in your checked luggage. Because of their organic content, foods like cheese, chocolate, or fruitcake can be mistaken by bomb detection machines for explosives.

Thus you should seal your foodstuffs in condoms when including them in your checked luggage. I appreciate the tip.

Thus you should seal your foodstuffs in condoms when including them in your checked luggage. I appreciate the tip.

Not checked luggage, carryon.

A great snack is to bring flour packed in condoms. Dump it in a bowl and add a little water. Make sure you eat it with a TSA approved plastic spork, we don't want anyone getting nervous in the terminal. You can also, just recently, scoop it up with a pre-declared fingernail clipper or safety razor used as a utensil.

If you want a bit of ZING in the flavor of moist flour, try adding a dollop of mayonaise and some bacon bits. Best to pack these in separate condoms and mix while in flight.

If the mixture requires cutting, just ask the unshaven psycho sitting next to you, they have the same odds as the 80 year old lady of not being searched. He likely will have a good hunting knife or box cutter handy. So will the activist college kid who frequently spouts off "can't you guys take a JOKE?"