BillyVance

Traveler sues after her joke goes awry

It's fine to pack a snack in your carry-on. And probably the best way to ensure you'll get something to eat in-flight since airline meals have all but disappeared. However, don't put food in your checked luggage. Because of their organic content, foods like cheese, chocolate, or fruitcake can be mistaken by bomb detection machines for explosives.

Thus you should seal your foodstuffs in condoms when including them in your checked luggage. I appreciate the tip.

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

DZ.COM- your one stop shop for useful information.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Lawyers are like sewers. You need to wash thoroughly after any contact, but it's hard to do without them.

I'm having no trouble doing without my ex-husband. I'm having no trouble doing without the putz I turned into the bar for stealing four hundred and fifty thousand dollars from people who trusted him.

The legal business is self-perpetuating. There are far too many lawyers in the world, and if we hanged most of them, the changes would be immediate and positive.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Do you read? Yes. And I checked and read and check, then posted.

It was just part of a phallic gag at a women's college, she told them, a stress-reliever, something to squeeze while studying for exams.

Where does it say this was done to deliberately cause a problem?

I have direct information form someone involved. the size and shape of the filled condoms was consistant with drug carrying devices not stress relievers. Though these relievers may exist at the school. they were put in the luggage for another reason than relieving stress.

Besides the point that it was intentional or not, she should not be suing. Either way this is a situation gotten out of hand. I have read the school thinks the lawsuit is ill advised and without merit.

I did a fair amount of checking before I posted my comment. I stand by my previous statements. Besides do people always tell the truth when caught in a joke or prank.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

In the woman’s own words, "I had to make up an excuse to tell my parents." Why did she need to “make up an excuse” if she knew that she had done nothing wrong? An intelligent person could have adequately explained to his/her parents the nature of the stress relief devices without going into possibly embarassing specifics re the condoms.

Had the student in question been a fraternity dude from Penn State, people would be calling for his head on a platter.

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

Head on a platter? For a dumb joke? Come on!

I think most people agree that detaining and questioning her was appropriate. The real issue is the length of time she was detained and the high bail when a simple test could and should have been done to prove her story.

I think most people agree that detaining and questioning her was appropriate. The real issue is the length of time she was detained and the high bail when a simple test could and should have been done to prove her story.

A simple test was done and it said it was drugs....A better test (that took three weeks) said it was not and she was let free.

She pulled a joke and it bit her. The bail was high since if it was drugs the person would have been able to post it and skip...

Drug offenses often have high bail amounts set to prevent people from paying and skipping out easily.

She was froma good home? Lots of people from a good home have smuggled drugs.

She played the game and got bit.

I think three weeks is a bit long, but she should not sue someone for her being stupid.

No.She.Did.Not.

It was not a joke. Repeat. It was not a joke.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She played the game

No.She.Did.Not.

There was no game. Repeat. There was no game.

Your opinion.

Others do not agree with you.

SHE DID NOTHING ILLEGAL but was treated as if she had.

She fit the profile of a person smuggling drugs. A test showed it was drugs, so she was arrested. The second test (three weeks later) showed it was not drugs and she was released.

Do I think 3 weeks is a long time? Yep. But LEO's have the right to make arrests when they have reasonable evidence. And they did.

From what I read, these are the facts of the matter. They don't seem to be in dispute

She fit the profile of a drug smuggler.

And the profile of a drug smuggler is...?

The test showed it was drugs.[/eply]

The test was wrong.

This is also fact.

But it wasn't the argument you made, and it wasn't the argument I answered.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

She fit the profile of a person smuggling drugs. .

No she didn't. Where do drug smugglers hide the condoms? Where did she put her condoms? Sheesh!

She fit the profile of a person smuggling drugs. A test showed it was drugs, so she was arrested. The second test (three weeks later) showed it was not drugs and she was released.

Do I think 3 weeks is a long time? Yep. But LEO's have the right to make arrests when they have reasonable evidence. And they did.

and when she successfully sues the LEOs for incompetence she will be perfectly justified in taking the tax money those fools wasted...

Exactly. Fair enough that they thought she had drugs and tested for them. Not fair that their inadequate "field tests" caused her to be held for three freakin' weeks before they could figure out that it was only flour.

Now you would think that someone in college would be smart enough to realize that it's not a good idea to carry flour-filled condoms on a plane (because of the obvious implication), but it is not illegal and should not have turned into quite the ordeal that it did.

She fit the profile of a person smuggling drugs.

actually she didnt, but the idiots who searched her obviously watch to much TV...

and again.. it is rather sad that in the "land of the Free" a "profile" and a onsite test with a long history of inaccuracy is enough 'evidence' to be imprisoned.

the LEO's involved should all spend an equal time in detainment for gross incompetence...

perhaps then they will have a bit more respect for the Constitution and the freedoms it protects

Exactly. Fair enough that they thought she had drugs and tested for them. Not fair that their inadequate "field tests" caused her to be held for three freakin' weeks before they could figure out that it was only flour.

Now you would think that someone in college would be smart enough to realize that it's not a good idea to carry flour-filled condoms on a plane (because of the obvious implication), but it is not illegal and should not have turned into quite the ordeal that it did.

What is the point of filling condoms if you aren't then going to hide them in your body? It makes no sense does it? The profile was NOT one of a drug smuggler.

"When college freshman Janet Lee packed her bags for a Christmas trip home two years ago, her luggage contained three condoms filled with flour "

In the woman’s own words, "I had to make up an excuse to tell my parents." Why did she need to “make up an excuse” if she knew that she had done nothing wrong?

Because she was young. Because she was scared.

rl

I personally dont think she fit... I just wanted to stalk you and answer your question.... :ph34r:

She didn't. Not even close. Hence the :S.

I like it when you stalk me, dear one. :D

Jef will be so jealous. :D

rl