JRock

What are your religous beliefs?

I find that being religous these days seems to be unpopular.
I, myself, am a very devout Christian.

I was just wondering what others felt or believed.

It is all patent nonsense. Some of the fairy tales are more poisonous than others, but fairy tales they are.

I find that being religous these days seems to be unpopular.
I, myself, am a very devout Christian.

I was just wondering what others felt or believed.

It is all patent nonsense. Some of the fairy tales are more poisonous than others, but fairy tales they are.

That pretty well sums it up.

Michael

I think that there are a few of different parts of The Bible; a creation myth , a story of a repressed people (the Jews), a set of basic laws that are, for the most part, simply good ideas for a healthy commuity at the time they where written (the 10 Commandments) and some other stories that are helpful to teach people how to get along. There's also a part at the end that's supposed to scare the crap out of us so that we'll all behave (Revelations).

I have no real issues with the historical parts of The Bible -- clearly the Jews -were- the slaves of the Egyptians and clearly at some point they left and where lead by a man or a series of men named "Moses". Did he have a magic box of rocks? I don't know about that. I believe that later there was a man named Jesus that taught people to love one another and had a fall out with the government and they nailed him to a cross. Did he later raise from the dead? I can't really say.

I have HUGE problems with the stuff that comes before and after these parts; the mythology of creation and the prophesy of the end times.

I live in a world where the first and last parts of The Bible never did,never could have and never will happen as written. They simply can not because they are to me physical impossibilities.

I have a respect for the true believers, but unfortunately I do not have the faith that they do. I have to believe in actual science not creation science.

I have NO respect for people that use religion as a weapon or a tool for their greed.

When you say, "I find that being religous these days seems to be unpopular." it's not so much that it's unpopular, but rather that much of the fundamentalist parts of it are irrelevant in today's world. Much of the focus of fundamentalist religion is in the "rules" and dogma of the religon.

For example . . .

Religous laws about sex and marriage were good ideas in a time when, because of property laws, a man -had- to be certain his children where, in fact, his children and when populations where small. When families -needed- to have 15 children so that a few could survive to take care of the older folks and continue the line. These are NOT those times so religious laws about birth control and a whole set of other sex laws are, in a world of 6.5 BILLION people totally unnessasary and irrelevant.

The "problem" with religion as I see it is that it did not, could not, keep up with changing times.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The "problem" with religion as I see it is that it did not, could not, keep up with changing times.

I don't think that it needs to, Quade. Let's focus on the 'rules', the 'right vs. wrong'. The Bible (and I'm sure other religious texts) lays down a foundation of right and wrong - or at least wrong. We, as a global society, seem to have strayed (or seem more willing to stray) from some of the basic tenants of humanity. We bend the rules here, we bend the rules there to fit what we would like to think of as our "enlightened" culture, but where do we draw the line? When does it stop?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

where do we draw the line? When does it stop?

Hey Jimbo, why would it need to stop? Change can be a sign of adaptability, which is pretty inherent to the human race I think. I think the issue is the legitimacy of the "rules" you mentioned. By whom? For whom? And what purpose do they serve today?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

most western religon seems to focus on 'life'(human beings, society, 'religon', infalstrcture etc.) rather than 'life' (planets, gravity, flora, fauna, ecosysems, weather etc)
all the small things that come together and make life possible and so very fragile seem to be excluded from christianity. the focus is on human beings who are merely another part of the fauna of this planet! there seems to be no mention of the rest of the universe exept for the obvious stars and moon that we are able to see!

if a god should be worshipped it should be either the earth we live on, the sun that provides for (and probably provided) us, or the universe (pure existence)

just my thoughts :)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Having "no real issues" with the historical part of The Bible says it all.
The Bible is historical indeed, and if the part about enslaved Jews stands,
so does the part about the price being paid, and the resurrection.
Faith overcomes those so-called impossibilities.

The problem is not that religion can't keep up with the times,
because while the minutes roll on, and time changes,
the human condition has not changed.
The problem has always been man turning away from God.

The creation of everything by God has been a well known fact by countless generations of men over countless ages, and is documented in The Bible.
You find that hard to believe?

Why is it easier to believe the new myth of the big bang theory.
Why is it easier to believe the new myth of the theory of evolution?

I find it hard to believe that anyone accepts that from nothing came a long series of perhaps tens of thousands of accidents, resulting in you.

There is good news!
God is caring and compassionate, and looking for a relationship with you.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

The creation of everything by God has been a well known fact by countless generations of men over countless ages, and is documented in The Bible.

Not hard to believe, just one of many possibilities that I would not discount.

The way I figure it, is most religions follow similar themes around decent behaviour etc... so that should be to hard to follow.

The issue for me comes down to, is there one all singing all dancing omni-presence that has decided for whatever reason to give us no tangible sign its there and that it created us etc..?

I find it just as easy to believe we were a pet science project for some other being - and hence evolution could be a part of that too... would I call that other being a god? not necessarily.

I solve these problems by accepting the notion that it is beyond my ability to understand the nature of the universe... and if I was created - any God should bloody well accept me for what they made! :P

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I don't think that it needs to, Quade. Let's focus on the 'rules', the 'right vs. wrong'. The Bible (and I'm sure other religious texts) lays down a foundation of right and wrong - or at least wrong. We, as a global society, seem to have strayed (or seem more willing to stray) from some of the basic tenants of humanity. We bend the rules here, we bend the rules there to fit what we would like to think of as our "enlightened" culture, but where do we draw the line? When does it stop?

Jimbo --

You nor anyone else has to agree with me. He asked for my views and I gave my opinion.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I believe that all things are interconnected, but that is much from physics as anything else. I believe that any God who would expect blind faith without being a physical actual present entity in our lives and who only allows those who follow Jesus (or Muhammed, or insert other 'prophet' here) to reach eternal joy is one cruel God. I'd rather go to hell than worship cruelty.

I detest having religion shoved down my throat, I hate the judgementality shown by so many of organized religion. I'm in a position to join a partnership in a medical practice. I am fully aware that if they found out that I was not Christian, that they would let me go or not sign the partnership agreeent. I dodge the religion conversations when they arise, including them trying to force me to join a local church. I am supportive of their beliefs, but will not share my own.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Circular logic. I can write a book saying I created everything. Just because it's written in my book, does that make it true?

The fact that the earth was flat was also a well-known fact by countless generations of men over countless ages, and I'm sure it was also doumented in scientific books of the time. But we do know now that the earth is most definitely not flat.

There are two types of people who believe in the Bible.
1) Those who know it's a story and simply want something to believe in.
2) Those who are too naive to realize it's just a story, not fact.

There's nothing wrong with 1). There's something very wrong with 2).
This ad space for sale.

If you're interested in breadth, there's another thread; here's my post from it.

By and large, you can look for the good in others without believing in any deity. You can look for the bad in others too, but, well, if I look for good I see the little goods; if I miss the little bads and see only the big ones, I'm the winner there.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Let's focus on the 'rules', the 'right vs. wrong'. The Bible (and I'm sure other religious texts) lays down a foundation of right and wrong - or at least wrong. We, as a global society, seem to have strayed (or seem more willing to stray) from some of the basic tenants of humanity.

The problem is that the rules layed down in the bible are, lets face it, crap. Sure they've got a couple of no brainers scattered around in there, no killing, burglarising etc. but you've got to wade through so many irrational rules to get to those that the validity of the whole thing is gone.

Even the first three of the ten commandments consist of 'god' pointlessly massaging his own ego. Seriously, is humanity going to crumble if you put some overtime in on a sunday?
The idea that the bible encapsulates the basic tenants of humanity is ludicrous.

Oh, and to answer the original question, you live, you die, thats about it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The creation of everything by God has been a well known fact by countless generations of men over countless ages

And the earth being flat was another one of these "facts" well known by countless generations of men. A book stating something does not make it a fact. Merely a statement.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Yes, I find it impossible to believe that the Judea/Christian God created everything. For me it's far easier to try to comprehend the Big Bang than to believe God created everything. I'm not saying the Bible is wrong, but form a scientific point of view its hard to swallow creationism.

I find it hard to believe that anyone accepts that from nothing came a long series of perhaps tens of thousands of accidents, resulting in you.

If you take into account all the variables, number of stars, age of the universe, type of stars that are capable of having planets that can support life, number of those planets that contain carbon, water, and are not too cold or too hot for life, etc. Put all those into an equation and the chances of life evolving are pretty good.

I'm not relighous in the slightest I don't belive in God or the horse he rode in on
I think it is a great shame that the church has to perform the work that really should fall on
the shoulders of the government

The sooner the governments of the civilisided world start respecting thier dutys
the sooner we can get rid of the church

In my opion the people who belive in a God are the people who can't belive in them
selves

At the moment in the universe as we know it we are the highest intelligentst we evolved from a single cell
God had no partn in this, He it does not exist does not exist does not exist does not exist does not exist.

Gone fishing

Wow, your post is perplexing.

>>I'm not saying the Bible is wrong<<
Then, you are saying the Bible is right, right?
If you know the Bible is right, well, then you know.

Then you wrote:
If you take into account all the variables, number of stars, age of the universe, type of stars that are capable of having planets that can support life, number of those planets that contain carbon, water, and are not too cold or too hot for life, etc. Put all those into an equation and the chances of life evolving are pretty good.

Variables? What variables?
Number of stars? How many are there?
Age of the Universe? How old is it?
Type of stars.....etc.,etc., carbon, water, cold, hot?
Where does the information regarding such things come from?
Scientists?
Theories?
And you believe it, why, because a scientist wrote it down in a book?

So then we're back to Frenchy:
"A book stating something does not make it a fact. Merely a statement."

Then we are back to faith.
Faith in science?
Or faith in God.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Then we are back to faith.

Exactly. it's pure, undiluted faith. God's existence can not be proven, nor can science prove he does not exist.