Squeak

Sunset clause ends next week

Hi Squeak

This subject is so boring... It got moved to speakers corner 6-12 month's ago so yjose of us could easily avoid it.

What ever floats your boat, post what and where you want to. If someone in "power don't like it they can move it. LMAO

R.i.P.

Take a look at the thread I started way back when, discussing the AWB.

Assault Weapos Ban Information thread

Short and skinny: the law only affects semi-automatic firearms with certain cosmetic features. Yes, cosmetic features. Grips, barrel covers, stock desigs, etc. I quote the law in the linked thread.

Read at least my first three posts, then see what you think about the news sources you have been reading.

Simply, [B]THIS LAW HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AK-47s OR UZIs.[/B]
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

So can anyone here give me (a senssible & serious) reason WHY any civillian NEEDS an automatic assult type weapon, as opposed to a breech loader or semi auto?

So we can have a better chance when we want to shoot down flying mice.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

The reason the ban is being allowed to sunset is because it had absolutely ZERO effect on crime.

So can anyone here give me (a sensible & serious) reason WHY any government NEEDS to continue banning something when that ban does nothing except penalize law abiding citizens?

ok my .02 now that it has been moved.

Well here it is, when it comes to guns we have a right to own them. and i do own them, howeveer i do not see any reasobn to own an auto weapon.

saying that i say this. If someone wants to own one then if they go through the proper permits and what not then i dont see why not.

even if they were to ban auto weapns they would still get on the street. People will get what they want buy ether modifying themn or buying them on the black market

anyways there you go my .02
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

With any luck they'll all stand in a big circle
thank you , and good night
Squeak
Flying Hellfish #407
___________________________________________________They might but they will be aimed outward;)
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Well here it is, when it comes to guns we have a right to own them. and i do own them, howeveer i do not see any reasobn to own an auto weapon.

Please do the research. This is a semi-auto ban! It is about guns that look like military rifles, but function no differently than any other semi-auto hunting rifle. These firearms have never been used in more than 3% of total gun crimes. For more information on so-called "assault weapons," visit here.

Automatic rifles, pistols and destructive devices have been strictly controlled by the Department of the Treasury in accordance with the National Firearms Act of 1934. Since that time, registered automatic firearms have been used in crime two times--one of which was by a law enforcement officer. For more information on automatic firearms and destructive devices, see this.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

i understand the law and what it says.

i was answering his origional question which was about why people need to own an auto weapon.

i didnt mention the law
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

you should really inform yourself about what you speak of, before you speak of it!

AUTOMATIC WEAPONS HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGAL for a UNITED STATES CITIZEN !!

As should you. Your statement is incorrect.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

So can anyone here give me (a sensible & serious) reason WHY any government NEEDS to continue banning something when that ban does nothing except penalize law abiding citizens?

From before the ban went into effect:
"In fact, the assault weapons ban will have no significant effect either on the crime rate or on personal security. Nonetheless, it is a good idea... Its only real justification is not to reduce crime but to desensitize the public to the regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation."
- Syndicated columnist Charles Krauthammer

Okay, my apologies for that, but the media is in a lying frenzy at the moment, as seen by their downright intentional misrepresentation of the firearms included in the so-called "assault weapons" ban. This webpage is compiling all the downright lies. It's easy to see how it's getting out of hand.

As for full autos and their place in society, please read the Federalist Papers, as they were the "think tank" documents for construction of the Bill Of Rights.

If you do read the Federalist Papers, you will probably realize that the Second Amendment was not about hunting or even self defense, rather it's about the prevention of a tyrannical government. This would require the people to have access to the same firearms as those used by the government.

Yeah, people will automatically refute with the tanks, mortars and grenades argument, to the extent of nuclear arms. None of that changes the intent of the framers, which was to arm the people in a manner of which they could dispatch a tyrannical government.

I have no problem with intensive background checks, fingerprinting and the taxes waged on ownership of automatic rifles, but to prevent their further manufacture, as was done in 1986, is a clear violation of the constitution and the intent of the framers.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.

Next week you lot in the States will have a law that was passed 10 years ago, repealed... So can anyone here give me (a senssible & serious) reason WHY any civillian NEEDS an automatic assult type weapon, as opposed to a breech loader or semi auto?

Well, we saw that when guns were banned and confiscated in England, that gun crime went up!

So we figured we'd try the opposite approach and give everyone an automatic machine gun, so that crime would go down.

Next week you lot in the States will have a law that was passed 10 years ago, repealed... So can anyone here give me (a senssible & serious) reason WHY any civillian NEEDS an automatic assult type weapon, as opposed to a breech loader or semi auto?

Well, we saw that when guns were banned and confiscated in England, that gun crime went up!

So we figured we'd try the opposite approach and give everyone an automatic machine gun, so that crime would go down.

An armed society is a polite society.

Next week you lot in the States will have a law that was passed 10 years ago, repealed.
The law was to bann assault weapons. It had a 10 year life with a sunset clause that said is it was no renewed that it would be revoked.
Well apparently it has not been renewed (even though GWB said he would).
So can anyone here give me (a senssible & serious) reason WHY any civillian NEEDS an automatic assult type weapon, as opposed to a breech loader or semi auto?

1. The ban affects _semi-automatic_ guns with detachable magazines and two or more features that are mostly cosmetic. My post-ban Armalite M15 (AR15/neutered M16) with pinned+welded muzzle brake is perfectly legal, although one with a bayonet lug or stamped AR15 on the receiver would not be unless it was made before the ban (and therefore carry a ~$500 price premium) My FAL has a brake welded on in place of the stock flash hider/grenade adapter so it's perfectly legal. People want the ban gone for practical (My AR15 cannot be made legal for high-power rifle competitions because of the pinned+welded muzzle appliance and I can't put a collapsing stock on it that would let us adjust the fit for my petite fiancee ) and philosophical reasons.

2. To be pedantic automatic weapons manufactured before 1986 are legal for civillian ownership. $10,000 + a $200 transfer tax will buy you a registered receiver M16 conversion, twice that gets you a factory Colt M16. Exactly one such legally owned machinegun has been used in a crime (An Ohio police officer murdered a drug dealer he was exorting).

3. To resist a tyranical government which also has automatic weapons.

Unfortunately the government will also have tanks and helicopter gunships and A10s and artillery and mortars and RPGs...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Unfortunately the government will also have tanks and helicopter gunships and A10s and artillery and mortars and RPGs...

And if it came down to a national revolt against the gov't, so would the other side.

Wow, almost as predicted here.

Yeah, people will automatically refute with the tanks, mortars and grenades argument, to the extent of nuclear arms. None of that changes the intent of the framers, which was to arm the people in a manner of which they could dispatch a tyrannical government.

I don't even need a crystal ball!

Move over Quade, my future cam is like my pimp hand--strong.

mike

And if it came down to a national revolt against the gov't, so would the other side.

After the exodus from the ranks of the government's troops--those unwilling to kill their fellow Americans on behalf of a tyrannical government--I would say the people would be well equiped with the big stuff.

mike

squeek you are right to correct me, i appollogize for being confrontational! you asked a legitimate question and got jumped on, i will do better in the future. it is a very personal and highly charged situation.

and i feel that the man with the flowers would have traded them for a firearm! just my opinion.

i believe those flowers were the only object he had at that moment in time. this of course WE will never know for certain.

opinions are like assholes, we all have one, and they usually stink...

the 800,000 legal and licensed hunters is more than double the standing U.S. army, not counting National gaurd and reserves or the other branches of service.

and once again, i will purchase the weapons that I choose, not whats dictated to me.

thank you and good day !

brent

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

thank you for the correction.

i should have been more detailed in that statement to say, without a permit or licensing or registration !

the loop holes are getting smaller, but you are correct , a person with a Federal Firearms license can own and with very detailed permits fire an automatic weapon in the United States.

and i am extremely well informed about what i speak and write!

peace,
brent

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

the 800,000 legal and licensed hunters is more than double the standing U.S. army, not counting National gaurd and reserves or the other branches of service.

Of licensed hunters in the US, the figures I have seen have been about 15 million (in 2000).

The total active duty military strength was measured at 1.38 million that year.

mike