Squeak

Sunset clause ends next week

Next week you lot in the States will have a law that was passed 10 years ago, repealed.
The law was to bann assault weapons. It had a 10 year life with a sunset clause that said is it was no renewed that it would be revoked.
Well apparently it has not been renewed (even though GWB said he would).
So can anyone here give me (a senssible & serious) reason WHY any civillian NEEDS an automatic assult type weapon, as opposed to a breech loader or semi auto?

I don't want a debate about gun law ownership in general, it's been done to death already.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Kelpdiver Questioned weather this was a troll, it's not. I'm genuinely interested. this is the reply I gave to him in PMs

If you read my post you'll find I DIDN'T judge the issue.
I asked a question in relation to the little I know about the issue.
I'm not in the states I'm an Aussie, we don't have the same issues as you lot in relation to guns.
I saw on the new this morning that the law was being repealed next week and as I understand it, lip service was paid to making certain th law stayed in place.
From the report I saw today it was assault weapons like AKs and the like that were targeted in the law.
I'm not a gun guy so my knowledge is limited.
I was wondering if anyone could come up with a valid justification for owning NON huninting type weapons in a civilian environment.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

So can anyone here give me (a senssible & serious) reason WHY any civillian NEEDS an automatic assult type weapon, as opposed to a breech loader or semi auto?

I expect to see this moved as well.

They don't. The media has misreported this so many times that 98% of people believe this. Automatic assault type weapons were illegal before I was born, they are today and they will be next year. No action is required on anyone's part for this to be true.

Ed

I expect to see this moved as well.

They don't. The media has misreported this so many times that 98% of people believe this. Automatic assault type weapons were illegal before I was born, they are today and they will be next year. No action is required on anyone's part for this to be true.

Ed

OK then what is the law that is being repealled?
And what weapons do they relate to?
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

OK then what is the law that is being repealled?
And what weapons do they relate to?

pretty much the law you are asking about is the law that baned things like bayonet lugs on guns and high capacity magazines and such, normal things that a hunter does not need, you ask why someone would need these things in a civilian enviroment.... i tell yait's for the coming apocalips.. okay, just jokeing, the real reason i see people wanting these things s for pure fun and nthing more.... jst like you would supe up theengineon your car that is whythey wouldlike to bable to have a bayonet lug on thier rifle... granted if you enhance your engine you maynever drive it to it's fuulest extent but it is there if you want it.. same with say a bayonet lug, no one willprobly ever afix a bayonet to thier rifel butit is there non the less..... as for high cap magazines i'd rather load one 40 round magazine for my ak-47 tha have to load 4 10 round magazines and then have to keep switching out.... that's just me, i'm lazy wheni shoot for stuff like that..........

Next week you lot in the States will have a law that was passed 10 years ago, repealed.
The law was to bann assault weapons. It had a 10 year life with a sunset clause that said is it was no renewed that it would be revoked.
Well apparently it has not been renewed (even though GWB said he would).

I don't want a debate about gun law ownership in general, it's been done to death already.

You appear to be in favor of the ban, or else you would not have issued a challenge as to why we feel we "need" these weapons.

However, you also appear to be utterly ignorant regarding what the ban accomplished.

IT WAS NOT ANYTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH AUTOMATIC WEAPONS. It banned various models of SEMI-automatic weapons based on APPEARANCE and various non-firing-related accessories (flash suppressors, bayonet mounts, folding stocks, pistol grips). Had NOTHING to do with rate of fire, or even caliber.

Plus, the "ban" never took away a single gun, since the "grandfather clause" held that any guns already owned or manufactured could still be sold and owned legally. And when the manufacturers of the guns produced similar guns with the exact same firing actions but without the various accessories and attachments, they too were perfectly legal. (I own one, a Colt Match Target HBAR -- an AR-15 clone with no flash suppressor or bayonet lug, and a fixed stock.) So let's not pretend that guns that fire the exact same way suddenly became unavailable to criminals and everyone was suddenly safer. They did not, and they were not.

Why don't you do some research and learning before you lean in support of a given law? It makes you look bad to indicate support for it (or incredulity at those of us who oppose it) when you don't even understand the facts that surround it.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I saw on the new this morning that the law was being repealed next week and as I understand it, lip service was paid to making certain th law stayed in place.
From the report I saw today it was assault weapons like AKs and the like that were targeted in the law.

The only reason this law ever had any support among the public was precisely because news people and politicians lied about what it was written to ban. You are proof that they give the false impression that it banned automatic weapons, when in fact those have been nearly banned since the year 1934. Your news people lied to you in order to deceive you.

I'm not a gun guy so my knowledge is limited.

No kidding? :S
The thing I wonder is, why do people like you with admitted near-zero knowledge or understanding of guns support laws like this when they are clueles about the technical details. Do you have any idea how many times I, and people I know, have had to correct non-gun-owners about what this bad law actually did? It's pretty bad form, to support -- or think you support -- a law when you don't even understand it, and when you don't understand the items being controlled by it.

Maybe now you won't just blindly accept what your lying newspeople imply in their bullshit, political-agenda-driven stories.

I was wondering if anyone could come up with a valid justification for owning NON huninting type weapons in a civilian environment.

How about:
- I'm not a criminal, and don't use guns criminally, so no one should worry about me and my rifle any more than they worry about me and a can of gasoline
- these are fun guns to fire at the range
- many of them ARE able to be used for hunting, and if not, still are used for target competition, or just plain "fun-plinking"
- they are extremely well-suited for self- or home-defense
- they are extremely well-suited for civil defense
- there is scarcely any functional difference between these guns and guns not on the "banned" list

You're lucky I even bothered to list these reasons for you -- I am not fond of being challenged to justify my use of a RIGHT.

-
-Jeffrey

you should really inform yourself about what you speak of, before you speak of it!

AUTOMATIC WEAPONS HAVE NEVER BEEN LEGAL for a UNITED STATES CITIZEN !!

the laws have always been very clear on what that means, it means any weapon that has a sustained rate of fire with a single pull of the trigger. it doesn't say a big frightening STYLE of firearm !

and the temporary ban was a knee jerk reaction to an attempt on a U.S. president.

the reason the ban was temporary was because OUR Constitution ( the single most important document ever worde by humans ) wouldn't allow the permanant infringement on MY rights as an AMERICAN !

do you think that Chinese man with the bouqet in Tiannaman square wouldn't have trade those flowers for the ability to slap the shit out of his government for treating his countrymen the way they have ???????

on November 15 of this year, there will be in the woods at the crack of dawn 800,000 Americans in the woods of Michigan with firearms. that one thought enables me to know without a trace of doubt that the U.S. will never be invaded and that my government ALWAYS remembers who the real authority is, the people !

there will be hand guns , rifles, shotguns ( semi-autos, double barrels, pumps, single shots ) flint-lockes, black powder guns, bows and arrows. but there will not be one fully automatic weapon. there will be thousands of military style weapons, but not a one will be capable of 600 rounds per min.

the media would tell, lead you to believe otherwise. please open your eyes and actually research what the ban actually banned !

when the ban is lifted this month I fully intend to go out and spend several thousand dollars on weapons that I want, BECAUSE I CAN !!!!!!!!!!!

thank you , and good night

brent

~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

Automatic weapons are still legal in a few states. You have to have a special permit to own them but it is still posible. In fact you can rent them at some ranges in Nevada. So you should really inform yourself about what you speak of, before you speak it:P------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

you should really inform yourself about what you speak of, before you speak of it!

Why? the whole poiint of the question was to shed light on imformation that I perceived to be at least partiol based on truth. That's why I asked the question:S:S:S

do you think that Chinese man with the bouqet in Tiannaman square wouldn't have trade those flowers for the ability to slap the shit out of his government for treating his countrymen the way they have ???????

NO I don't think he would have traded those flowers. That would have defeated the whole purpose of his stand:S:S:S

on November 15 of this year, there will be in the woods at the crack of dawn 800,000 Americans in the woods of Michigan with firearms. that one thought enables me to know without a trace of doubt that the U.S. will never be invaded and that my government ALWAYS remembers who the real authority is, the people !
there will be hand guns , rifles, shotguns ( semi-autos, double barrels, pumps, single shots ) flint-lockes, black powder guns, bows and arrows. but there will not be one fully automatic weapon. there will be thousands of military style weapons, but not a one will be capable of 600 rounds per min.

With any luck they'll all stand in a big circle
thank you , and good night
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Automatic weapons are still legal in a few states. You have to have a special permit to own them but it is still posible. In fact you can rent them at some ranges in Nevada. So you should really inform yourself about what you speak of, before you speak it:P------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has nothing to do with "a few states," and Brent overstated the "illegality" of automatic weapons.

They are known as "Class III" firearms, or "NFA" (National Firearms Act) firearms. Back in 1934 is when they were put under FEDERAL control. If you can get a Class III permit, which involves getting a judge or police chief to authorize the permit, and you are willing to pay a $200 tax on any and all individual Class III purchases, you CAN own fully automatic firearms (and silencers, which fall into this category).

This is a federal thing, not a state-by-state thing.

-
-Jeffrey

because the law was a farce in the first place and never did what it's supporters claimed it did... a bit of research say searching for "Guns" in the SC would have answered your question without the zillionth thread on the subject and in the wrong forum....

Apparently there are enough morons that wanna take my guns that I NEED an automatic assault rifle to fight em off!

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

This is a federal thing, not a state-by-state thing

nope, states have asy in it... theyhave to allow them... ..i was lookinginto it whenilived in colorado and there was a big class 3 dealer just out side of colorado springs.......