JohnRich

Bodies of WWI soldiers found in glacier

How did we get from a question on WHERE the fighting was as, to WHO did the fighting?

not only soldiers died in thouse wars.. in Denmark,we had loads of urban groups making life really deficult to Germans.

Luckywe dont play that game by our neighbours anymore:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

How did we get from a question on WHERE the fighting was as, to WHO did the fighting?

Because kallend can never pass up an opportunity to bash America.

Clay made a statement to which I responded. His statement is quite common in this country, thanks largely to Hollywood's characterizations of the world wars as almost uniquely US activities. Most commonly it is expressed as "If it weren't for US you'd all be speaking German/Japanese"

The facts in my posts are facts, not opinions or value judgments. If you think a statement of fact is US bashing, well, that's your problem.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The American school I went to in Brazil was considerably better than the public schools I went to in the US; it had more of a world view, and in general more challenging subject matter. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of the DOD schools.

OK. Fully noted.

Christel

dudeist skydiver # 3105

DOD (Department of Defense) schools means that he grew up (most likely) in a military family, going to American schools in various countries.

The American school I went to in Brazil was considerably better than the public schools I went to in the US; it had more of a world view, and in general more challenging subject matter. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true of the DOD schools.

most of my teachers in while in DOD schools in Germany held doctorates or were working towards them. By 8th grade science classes (actually divided into Geology, Biology, Physical Science etc at that grade) we were conducting experiments and being graded on our conclusions and methods. The difference in education levels when i moved back to the US (to Alabama ranked 47th in public education at the time) after 11 years in the DOD schools was shocking... I actually had to take a summer class in AL history to be able to graduate High School (its required in Jr high I missed it) but things like World Wars were covered in "History" class in under a week.

Its a good thing I like to read.. for the most part the books were pretty good and the information is always there in the library, it is just helpful when school forces you to look for it as part of the planned learning process, instead of reading it because you were bored anyway.....

The facts in my posts are facts, not opinions or value judgments. If you think a statement of fact is US bashing, well, that's your problem.

I didn't dispute your fact. I just noted your use of the thread to introduce the off-topic U.S.-bashing fact.

Let's recap. It started with someone's comment:
"Hmmm.....wasn't aware that there was a lot of fighting in Italy during WWI. Most history seems to concentrate on the trench warfare in France."
Then you interjected:
"That would be most US history books and classes."
So I wonder why you went from "most history" to "most US history"? Do you think that Russian history books talk a lot about Italy in WWI? How about French history books? Swedish? Turkish?

Gee, I'll bet there are literally dozens of countries that don't say much about Italy's role in WWI. Yet for some reason, you singled out the U.S. as being notably lacking in this regard.

Hence my comment on your propensity to bash the U.S. And I don't get that observation just from this thread alone - it's something I've noticed from you for quite some time.

I didn't dispute your fact. I just noted your use of the thread to introduce the off-topic U.S.-bashing fact.

Let's recap. It started with someone's comment: "Hmmm.....wasn't aware that there was a lot of fighting in Italy during WWI. Most history seems to concentrate on the trench warfare in France."

Then you interjected: "That would be most US history books and classes."

So I wonder why you went from "most history" to "most US history"? Do you think that Russian history books talk a lot about Italy in WWI? How about French history books? Swedish?

Gee, I'll bet there are literally dozens of countries that don't say much about Italy's role in WWI. Yet for some reason, you singled out the U.S. as being notably lacking in this regard.

Hence my comment on your propensity to bash the U.S.

Highly unlikely Clay learned history from a Russian history book or he wouldn't have made the statement he did. Please try to stay relevant.

Anyhow, it's good that you leap to the defense of US education when your buddies spend so much time slamming it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Grenades aren't sized by "caliber".

This is partially true, Hand(thrown) grenades are not sized by caliber. However there is such a thing as a 40mm grenade(M-203) and a 20mm grenade. Also the G in RPG stands for grenade although the device itself is actually a small shaped charge intiated by a piezio electric crystal located in the nose of the device. Several other countries have munitions that fit into the same above mentioned categories.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hmmm... Austrian, huh?
I thought it was FRENCH soldiers who froze in combat during world wars...

...while American GIs are sunbathing on the beaches of Northern France...:P

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Hmmm... Austrian, huh?
I thought it was FRENCH soldiers who froze in combat during world wars...

...while American GIs are sunbathing on the beaches of Northern France...:P

??? That is the most disrespectful response I have heard to date about WWII veterans.:S Do you realize the amount of crosses of GI's located on northern France?
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

True.......I find the slant amazing sometimes. I found it very interesting that my ex-wife (who grew up in Washington State) learned next to nothing about the war of Northern Agression

You mean slanted just like that? Are you refering to the CIVIL WAR?

I grew up near Atlanta and battles took place LITERALLY in my yard. My house only missed being burned by that raping pillaging Sherman by about 1 mile or so. Good thing he was headed towards Macon instead of due South. I might have had to grow up in a differen't house!

As opposed to the great guys the Southern troops were right?:S

Thanks for the great example of slant.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

...while American GIs are sunbathing on the beaches of Northern France...

UN FUCKING COOL.

What a fucked up statement.

Our guys died while yours ran away.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Both of you are seriously wrong about your preconceptions about French conduct and losses.

WWI French losses were 25 times that of the US.
WWII French losses in total were more than 2 and a half times greater than US losses - and considering their minimal involvement in the Pacific those losses are even more telling.

His response was a joke dig back at a snide comment. Think about the comment that caused him to reply in the light of French losses during the wars.

I think the one that needs to chill is the guy who made up the FUCKED up comment, the frenchy guy, because it is not about the millions of french guys who died in france before they surrendered to nazis. It is you and him who disregard the thousands of GI's that actually tainted the waters of northern france with their blood.

It is you that is willing to go along with the fucked up comments, not me pal...so save your cheap shot at wisdom for family...or one of your clients.
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

And you are wrong about the fact that US soldiers lost their lives in foreign soil, liberating the FRENCH.
The French died either defending or running for dear life in THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

They still surrendered to Germany. So take up and read a little history there pal, it might do you good.

There are THOUSANDS of US soldiers who DIED in the beaches of NORTHERN FRANCE. It is a disrespect to tell they were "sunbathing":|

Both of you are seriously wrong about your preconceptions about French conduct and losses.

WWI French losses were 25 times that of the US.
WWII French losses in total were more than 2 and a half times greater than US losses - and considering their minimal involvement in the Pacific those losses are even more telling.

Well it is no surprize that there were more French losses...The war was fought IN FRANCE.

The fact is our men WENT to France to help them, and all we get from them is crap.

I wish we had let Germany keep France.

Oooo!

[sarcasm mode]

Now look what you've gone and done!:P

Have you not learned that rational, thoughful response has no place in Speakers corner?
That comments can be made about the French, "frozen" (in fear) but not about US
troops sunning themselves on the beaches?

[/sarcasm mode]

They'll never chill.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

promise you that my grand dad made the life no easy to them in both wars:PHe were a part of the danish "modstandsbevægelse" = (dunno whats it called in english)fight againsttheenemyunionB|

And if your dad didnt have anyproblems by the danes(fighting at the German side),then he has helped the danes:P
Loads of danes died while fighting the germans in ww2,not as soldier(i think only a handfull or so),but in as civil fighters.. some cool storryes about that

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Joe: Your mama so fat when she step on the Weight Scales it says...'to be continued'...

Frank: Yeah, well your mama so fat when she went to the Zoo, Elephants began throwing peanuts at her.

Hypocrite: Frank's an asshole. He shouldn't go around saying things about Joe's mom!!!

It is a disrespect to tell they were "sunbathing"

Yes it is. I agree completely.

I also believe it is a disrespect to all the French troops that died fighting against the second and third Reichs to say that they froze in combat.

That is an untruth and a dishonour to their deaths - deaths which helped to keep the world (including America) free.

If one is an insult - so is the other. Why was there no one attacking the poster who slated the French Army? Not even the French attacked him - only joked with him.

See both sides and be reasonable. If you are to honour the dead, honour all the dead you died for YOU.