LawnDart21

STILL NOT SMOKING!

I made a post a few days after New Year's Eve saying that I had quit smoking. Well, it's time for more shameless self promotion!! It's now been 57 days and I am still smoke free! Cold turkey, no patch, no nicorette gum, just stopped cold. Anyways, just thought I'd share my small victory with all of you guys! (My girlfriend Mary quit on New Year's Eve too, and she is also still smoke free!!! Yahoo!)
"I live to EFS"
Tom

I live in Taxachusetts, er, I mean Massachusetts, and it just got to a point after the last cigarette tax hike, that a single pack of Marlboros is like $4.50 most places. At a pack a day, 365 days a year, I figured it would cost me atleast $1642.50 to smoke this year. By quitting I'll be able to spend that same money on 86 more jumps. (you'll have to forgive me I work for a bank......LOL) Anyways, thanks for the kind words!
"I live to EFS"
Tom

That's great news Tom, have you noticed that when you're out of breath from walking up a bunch of stairs or something that its a "good" out of breath? It's hard to explain but when I breathe hard it doesn't hurt anymore. It actually feels like my lungs are doing something:D
I'll go to college; learn some big words; I'll talk real loud god damn right I'll be heard.

I live in Taxachusetts, er, I mean Massachusetts, and it just got to a point after the last cigarette tax hike, that a single pack of Marlboros is like $4.50 most places.

Got a good friend up in Indiana who quit for the same reason. They popped a new tax on cigerettes to balance the budget and he said enough was enough. In the early 90's a pack of Marlboros was about a 1.10, 10 years later it was up to 3.40.
He could never quit for his health, but he sure could quit when the state pissed him off :)

serious congrats to you both!! I did the cold turkey thing way back when ... then started dating someone who smoked like a chimney and decided (VERY dumb) that if I had to put up with it, might as well get the enjoyment too, and started again ... hasn't been nearly so easy to quit the 2nd time!!

Clay, you disappeared for 5 days...Risky strategy man! AggieDave took the opportunity to pass MountainMan and is well on his way to catch up with you...

HH, you should watch whats gonna happen next...put up a diversion in front of him with a Boobies post, pop smoke and run a flank...he'll never see it coming...oh, did I say that out loud? Crap...:D
Either way, Spring Break is in 11 days, after jumping that Saturday, I'm going to be backpacking for about 5 days sans computer, plus drive time, so hopefully someone will pass me up then. :)"And who are you?"
"I'm...Batman..."

Hey Tom, what date did you quit? I also quit on Jan 2nd.. WOOOOHOOO!!! Now I'm putting my money for smokes and investing it in this sport. That's like 1200-1500 a year for smokes....hell, that would pay for my AFF class and then some more jumps...
Congrats!!! Let's keep it up...

Great Job. I quit chewing Tobacco on November 2nd, 2001. I did need the gum, than the patch, and it was still the worst thing I have had to do (chewing for 22 years off-and-on, 9 years straight since I started up again). Now I have to get rid of 8 more pounds that I gained (15 total).
Again, great job. Keep Going!!!
:::OK, Canopy is Open, No Traffic Around, .. Why are these "Extra" Lines Draping Down??, Damn!

. I quit chewing Tobacco on November 2nd, 2001. I did need the gum, than the patch, and it was still the worst thing I have had to do (chewing for 22 years off-and-on, 9 years straight since I started up again).

Nasty nasty nasty. I used to work at the Dana Farber Cancer institute. chewing tobacco causes squamous cell carcinoma that can actually rot your face. I knew a guy that actually lost a large part of his lower jaw from that shit. If you saw some of the photos I saw at Dana Farber, you would probably never touch chewing tobacco again.
Speed Racer
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!"

It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow since I quit, and it was all of the posts in here about quitting that made me decide to finally do it. Also the fact that pretty soon smokes are going to be over $8 a pack in Alberta, but I learned that a week after I stopped. Now it's just all the more motivation to keep off of them.
Live To Jump, Pull To Live,
Lippy

Thanks everybody for your positive feedback, I feel great these days. It's funny last season I had a system where I would jump, smoke a cigarette, and then pack. I would repeat that process all day long. Of all the things i have had to change about my habits, this was the weirdest. Each time I walk back to the hanger after a jump, I reach for my pocket to pull out a smoke.....lol......now I'm pulling out Certs instead of smokes.....LOL Problem solved!
Cornholio, I quit New Years Eve day, on 12/31. Not much withdrawl, never got the shakes, or moody, I just put on 20 pounds in 2 months.......From 180lbs, to 200lbs. Thank God I started back at the gym the same day........LOL Otherwise I'd be a balloon, atleast now it's all muscle!!! My waist size actually went down from a 35 to a 33.5 since then.... YAHOO!!!
"I live to EFS"
Tom

I smoke 1 1/2 packs a day (30),
just started freefly, MAN that takes some serious input, will be training from now on instead of smoking & drinking,
If you have given up, THEN TOTAL RESPECT, I strive to be as strong as you.
"Skydiving's a source, it'll change your life, swear to God"

ok. i havent read this post(skimmed) i just wanna say congrats to all of you who quit smoking. i quit 2.5 years ago so i know how hard it is(was.) but it gets really ez if you can pass the first few months like most of you have. (sorry but ill read this later) just in for a few mintues and hadda see this post
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT

one of my friends (that still lives in NY. $5/pack) just started smoking after her father died of cancer. how ridiculous is that. she quit for 4 years then went back b/c she was stressed out!.
i told her that she was totally out of line(i didnt letcure her though) but i asked what she was thinking. no good answer came out. so i broke out the old abacus in my head and did the math for her and showed her how she is smoking her kids college funds away...she sounded convinced, but you cant force someone to quit! anyway dont do anything moronic like that! it would be totally foolish to start up again now. buy a new rig or something ! have fun
getting high is fun, but coming down is the best part
JT