mountainman

if you use Windows XP - READ THIS NOW!!! (not a joke)

This is VERY important and is NOT a joke.
------------------------------------------------

OK, here's the deal. Apparently Windows XP ServicePack 1 has been released recently and it fixes a MAJOR FLAW in the Windows Help that allows hackers to create any webpage on the net and if you go there, it can/will delete whatever directory on YOUR computer that they specify. For instance, they can set it up to delete your Windows DIR or your whole C drive.

So, if you use XP, download the new SP1 (edit: you can do this simply by running "Windows Update" from your Start Menu or going to the MS website and going to "update windows"). However, if you are using a "questionable" copy of XP, you can download a VERY small program from this site: http://grc.com/xpdite/xpdite.htm that you run, tell it to fix it and you are done. It is as simple as renaming one file on your computer. You can read all kinds of stuff on the above website.

If you are more interested in learning more about this MAJOR BUG in Windows XP, watch this movie from TechTV with Leo Laporte.

This is important!!!

Hope this helps you all. Have a great weekend. :)
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Holy crap...a major flaw has been released!!! :P

Relax dude, there's a major flaw released every other day. In fact, I'll bet in a couple weeks we'll see what major flaws SP1 causes.

This one was actually listed on Bugtraq back on 8/16. The big news is that SP1 fixes it, but it hasn't been exploited all that much anyway. I prefer to make sure an SP is stable before applying it, no matter what its supposed benefits are.

a MAJOR FLAW in the Windows Help that allows hackers to create any webpage on the net and if you go there, it can/will delete whatever directory on YOUR computer that they specify.

So, if you use XP, download the new SP1

or, you can just use mozilla instead... (not to mention other os's! ;))

steve

Holy crap...a major flaw has been released!!! :P

Relax dude, there's a major flaw released every other day. In fact, I'll bet in a couple weeks we'll see what major flaws SP1 causes.

This one was actually listed on Bugtraq back on 8/16. The big news is that SP1 fixes it, but it hasn't been exploited all that much anyway. I prefer to make sure an SP is stable before applying it, no matter what its supposed benefits are.

Fix it or don't fix it. I don't care what you think about it. Either way, there is a flaw that is extremely easy to exploit and it should be fixed. Nuff said.

or, you can just use mozilla instead... (not to mention other os's! ;))

Oh yeah, because there are a lot of people who would like to make this switch. :S

----------------

Man, that is pretty sad when you alert people of possible threats to their computer and the only two replies are people that dog on ya.

I'm loving this community more and more.

B|
http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Just upgraded a friends PC to XP, so I better get over there and make sure all her updates are done. Forget asking her to do them, she knows IE and OE and that's about it.
Me, on the other hand, just made what I consider, the best change in my life (computer wise). Upgraded to Win2000. Rock solid. No more crashes ala 95 and 98. I have Administrator log in, and everyone else is just a user, so no more unwanted (computer crashing) programs.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

This is VERY important and is NOT a joke.

Question: I run XP. Occasionally when I log in, I get an ICON flashing in the lower right corner with a little balloon which says, "Upgrades ready to install". I do nothing to initiate and they are usually XP upgrades. I assume this is bennie of the XP program, to go out, while I am online, to some Gatesian site and download program upgrades. If I allow those to be installed, will this fix be included?

This is not a joke. Mahalo in advance.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

At least MS made it so you could enter a valid license key..

Isn't it kind of funny how MS has come full circle? Back in the day you could put in just about any number for a license code, or MS's infamous ALL 1's. There have always been rumors that MS actually encouraged piracy because it was getting their products on every desktop. Well, they've succeeded in cornering the OS, Office, Browsers markets. Guess it's time to pay for not having any other viable options to the average user
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Mozilla is an operating system too? Here I've been using it as a browser all this time. I ran the update on my XP desktop and had no trouble. I ran the update on one of my XP laptops, and after several reinstalls, no problem. I ran the update on the second XP laptop and had a major system crash. I had to reinstall the OS (I put XP Pro back on - maybe I should've loaded Mozilla?). That laptop still doesn't want to take the update (I'll figure it out later - maybe). In the meantime, I installed the GRC fix.

It doesn't actually render your computer useless.. I saw it done the other day. The service pack just won't install until you enter a valid key.. Once you enter a valid key it lets you install the pack.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Netscape with the junk removed = Mozillia. I've been running Mozilla in some release since it's first public alpha release B|. And the new OS 10.2.... can I just say before yesterday I was a diehard Windows junkie.... OMG... OS 10.2 is the shinitz! I'm seriously thinking of getting a new Apple just to play with the OS more. Its that cool...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

And the new OS 10.2.... can I just say before yesterday I was a diehard Windows junkie.... OMG... OS 10.2 is the shinitz! I'm seriously thinking of getting a new Apple just to play with the OS more. Its that cool...

Jaguar is so totally sweet. If I wasn't trying to afford jumping on a college budget, I would get myself a G4. Actually, this might be my project next summer. If I start scrounging parts now...

Brandon... did'nt know if you realized it or not, but Gibson is a complete nut. Those in the security field laugh at him. His webpage is filled with half truths and out right lies in most cases. His shieldsUp program is full of holes and doe'st do anything different then what the command prompt does on a Windows box. LeakTest was modified to be stoped by firewalls. There is nothing to stop outbound data communications by default on purpose... Spinrite is a joke in most cases. It only lets you know about 2% of disk drive failures, and only those related to bad sectors.

At one point his applications were so insecure that you could modify the program to crash his servers or do port scans of anyone on the nets boxes from his application. Also Gibson is the one that predicted the entire net would crash as soon as XP was released due to it having Open Socket support and Skript Kiddies using them as relays. When asked why unix boxes were'nt being used for thier open sockets he had an answer of how Unix did'nt support Open Socket.... boy did he get flamed for that answer...

Just remember the sources of the data on these issues... Gibson is a compete media freak that can't live with out being called a genuis 3 times a day.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I know all about it. As the family tech I have had to travel far and wide to fix my brothers computer 3 times. Every time, empty HD. Couldnt figure it out he even blamed the kids. My antivirus caught it everytime but his dumb ass wife erased it, Said it took longer to startup and diddnt like it. Anyway either of us cant upload service pack 1. Hopefully someone will come up with a way to get it somewhere else.
Ray

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Yeah someone came up with a way to use this security hole to your advantage... just cut this line & paste it into your IE web browser & it will delete the file that allows malicious users to delete stuff from your hard drive =] (if you haven't already installed SP1)

hcp://system/DFS/uplddrvinfo.htm?file://C:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\DFS\uplddrvinfo.htm

So afterwards no more security hole. Full story here:
http://24.78.2.184/helpcenter.htm

Chris

the questionable XP code issue does more than that. I am part of a group that was sharing a copy of XP pro + a key for testing and familiarization. We dont wanna run it on our PCs, but also dont spend upwards of $200 for a test piece of software... anyway, we found that SOME machines would format themselves after the patch. Those of us that were lucky, it just told us the code was invalid and told us to call mickeysoft.

So it does more than originally stated.

Of course we really dont care. all the copies are on secondary test boxes.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!