AggieDave

I need a F**king drogue!

Working on Headdown (now that I have a FF safe rig, yeaaah!) and am starting to get it (yeaaah!), but after one of my jumps today (yes, monday, I needed to kill some stress after i got out of classes) where I went solo and worked on headdown, I maxed out kinda quickly.

224mph, in my super baggy FF suit and not trying to go fast, just trying to get a good headdown going. I need a damn drogue...:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

hot damn that's fast! :o what a rush though eh?! B| I just started sit flying this weekend and reached 173 in a sit (just shorts and t-shirt though) and even that speed felt like I was ripping the atmosphere to shreds!

Side note: I ain't going back to belly anytime soon. Freeflying is a major rush! The speed and intensity is incredible, not to mention the fun challenge of it. Too bad I'm temping the reaper jumping with my 92' racer rig... heh

Ive seen jump suits with "gills" on the m to slow you down... look pretty cool and seem functional.. might want to look into it
(they are little pockets sewn into the ankle portion of the suit that catch air and sort of inflate the legs of the suit)
-yoshi

Sit, I can slow to almost 130mph (hard to do, for me), I've maxed out before (once) at a bit over 200mph in a sit, but that was in shorts and a t-shirt.

This HD was done in my normal (read: really damn baggy with heavy material) FF suit...makes me want to go out in shorts and a t-shirt to see what I could do.. :)

Damn!:o

You may want to check your suit or your body position because I'm a bit (okay, a good bit) bigger than you and I max at 190 in the X position. I can pull it down to the 170's if I really get my limbs out there but I don't have the control to keep it stable when I'm that spread out.

Also, you might try looking at the reading on some JumpTrack software and see where in the dive you are hitting it and where your range is at right now.

Then again, I also have HD gills on my FF suit so that's gotta be slowing me down a bit too. I may have to try a dive in a suit without gills and see what I get.

Just my $0.02,

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Yeah, I know my body position is bad, I'm just now starting to learn. My arms could have been more down, I know, but my legs were out (X style) fairly far. Maybe froggy would slow me down too. I'm sure once I really learn how to fly it well I'll be able to slow down, like I did with my sit. I just got a kick out of how fast I went. :P

Yeah, I know my body position is bad, I'm just now starting to learn. My arms could have been more down, I know, but my legs were out (X style) fairly far.

Aggie ya little safe you!! Welcome to head down and the next 400 jumps in that orientation;) before really being able to fly with other people well. If ya want a couple of tips PM me. Maybe flying daffy would be a better choice for you than straddle. Would be happy to expound.
Cheers sweetie!
BB

Well I'm a wee chicky and averaging 150 in a sit, faster or slower depending who I'm jumping with. Actually did one about 160 on Sunday so the guy I was jumping with could go head down with me. Tight FF pants and and tight long sleaved shirt.

Dave, Derek just started making pilot chutes maybe he can hook you up with something. :P
Fly it like you stole it!

Dude, I can totally relate to the speed thing. I was practicing my sit over the weekend at the Byron Boogie, and my top speeds in both sit dives were 202 and 196 respectively. I was in a long sleeve shirt and short, though, so I was like a greased pig.

I am saving up for a good FF suit now, just to slow my fat ass down.

- Matt

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

Dude, I can totally relate to the speed thing. I was practicing my sit over the weekend at the Byron Boogie, and my top speeds in both sit dives were 202 and 196 respectively.
- Matt

Yes, I was there to see it . Thanks for showing me my max stand speed.

Aggie D! Stop with the depleted uranium! It has no nutritional value!

"Try FreeFly Flakes, enhanced with depleted uranium to speed you up on your way down!":ph34r:

Nah Dave, ther's nothing wrong with your weight, its all those lightweight feather asses you are hanging out with bro.....
Come on over to Scotland, and we'll go fast together again...
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

If you think your legs are wide their not wide enough.

Hook your feet also. Practice a couple of headstands over in the packing area and practice making your legs wide while staying in the head stand (more for your back and hips than legs...old Mike Swanson excercise)

that aught to get you down to 170 :D:D:D:D
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

....224mph, in my super baggy FF suit and not trying to go fast, just trying to get a good headdown going.

You know what? I like freeflying too, but I will be damned if I am gonna waste all my money on 40 seconds of freefall on a regular basis.
(much less in Dave's case)
I can see it now: "And now an award for our friend Dave Lund; 2500 jumps and just now receiving his 12 hour freefall badge..":(

Dude, you better buy yourself a wingsuit to even out that deficit. It's all about the two and a half minute freefalls.

Chuck

but I will be damned if I am gonna waste all my money on 40 seconds of freefall on a regular basis.

Like you pay for jumps anyway! ;)

I will admit, when I first started jumping, I was bewildered by head-downers. I thought the goal would be to fall as slowly as possible, as to get one's money's worth.
Skydiving is for cool people only

[reply
Like you pay for jumps anyway! ;)

Well, in that case I certainly would be. Well, maybe not; I do have an awful lot of jump tickets laying around..;)Those, of course, from slaving away as an AFF and tandem bitch every weekend.

Still, what spare time I do have to fun jump, I generally find myself jumping my wingsuit or organizing and jumping with my friends.

Once again, I really do like to mix it up on all axis', but the "return" I get amplifies as the FF time goes up. I liken fast head-down freefly jumps to doing AFF from 8,000 (very busy, to say the least, and over too quickly).

Chuck