RevJim

How many jumps can you pay for?

So, as referenced in another post, how many jumps can you really afford?

Since the USPA says that the average skydiver made about 65 jumps last year, and this figures in the people working at 1000 jumps a year, I figure the average jumper made considerably less than 1 a week.

I made about 70 last year, and that was crunched into a reletively short time. I would love to jump more, but even having my own gear......I have other bills to keep my family alive.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I can afford a lot more than I do. Most of my jumps happen at the freefall convention - 55 this year. At the home DZ, I generally jump 2-4 times per month if I get done working early. I'm also on every available balloon load that happens in this state. Only missed two so far...
-----
~~~Michael

I am still renting the majority of my gear, so the cost of my jumping each time is higher than most. Should I ever be able to afford to buy gear, I suspect my jump numbers will rise. As it stands, I get out about once every 5 weeks, and get three jumps in.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That's why I'm buying gear now, because my rental plus jumps works out to $35-45 every time I get in the plane. My rig will have paid for itself after 105 jumps. After that, it's gravy. Right now, I only do 5-6 jumps a month, but I figure I could afford 10-15. My main constraint is time, not money.

because my rental plus jumps works out to $35-45 every time I get in the plane.

Yup. An average, 3 jump day at the dz costs me somewhere in the neighborhood of $120. Now that I have my own main, it will run about $100...But for me, right now, it is easier to sneak $100-120 away from the budget than it is for me to sneak $2000 for a used harness, reserve, and cypres...

That is why I am having a hard time getting to Eloy - if I'm there for 5 days, assuming comparable costs, it's gonna be $500-600 just for jumps and gear, not to mention gas, food, beer (which I am sure I'll owe), lodging, etc. All told, I'm looking at something on the order of $700-800...which is hard to find when you have nothing in escrow....sigh...Shit, this stuff is expensive...

Ciels-
Michele

Since I work at the DZ, I get cheaper jumps, not free, not paid for, but cheaper (I'm not an instructor yet, so no $$ for the jumps yet). I've made 157 jumps so far this year and hope to keep the pace up, trying to make atleast 6 a weekend. I'm doing this at the expense of quite a few other things, but its what I love and want to do.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Laura and I have a constraint mostly of time lately for jumping. However, now it will come to money more since my student loans are going to start this year. That sucks.

Anyway, we are hoping to do more jumps next year. (That is what we said last year.)

[:/]

Phree - you only had 35 jumps at the beginning of this season? Nah.

http://www.brandonandlaura.com

Yup. An average, 3 jump day at the dz costs me somewhere in the neighborhood of $120. Now that I have my own main, it will run about $100...But for me, right now, it is easier to sneak $100-120 away from the budget than it is for me to sneak $2000 for a used harness, reserve, and cypres...

For what it's worth, I doubt I'd be able to either if my house hadn't fell through. I'm a bit encouraged by the number of "price reduced" signs I've seen around lately. I think the bubble might be finally bursting. I imagine you might not be as happy about that as I am, though. Maybe I can get you some commission this summer and you can buy a rig.

I made about 75 jumps this year- (so far-) I've scrounged and sold all the scrap copper and stainless steel from the shop, and am accumulating more. I also ratholed money quite often. Taking out a signature loan for my rig saved me 20 bucks a jump, and probably helped me as far as my skills go, too. Over the winter I'll actually allow myself to take on some side jobs, but only if they'll pay well. (saving for new gear-)
I would have liked to make at least 150 jumps this year- By September of next year I wnat to have at least 200 jumps in, my coach rating, and my D license

Easy Does It

I think the bubble might be finally bursting. I imagine you might not be as happy about that as I am, though.

Yup, there's more "inventory" on the market right now than there's been in over a year. Been watching the trends over the summer...good and bad news...bad news: Sellers are still stubborn, believing it to be "seasonal" - but it started weakening in August; good news: interest rates are looking like they are staying put for a while...unless something really bizarre happens, they should remain right about 6-7% until summer (but hey, it's still good ol' Alan Greenspan at the helm...who knows). I hope it's not "bursting", I'd rather it be more like a slow leak in your tire...bursting would not be good.

Maybe I can get you some commission this summer and you can buy a rig.

Call me when you're ready - be happy to help!
Ciels-
Michele

Yup, there's more "inventory" on the market right now than there's been in over a year. Been watching the trends over the summer...good and bad news...bad news: Sellers are still stubborn, believing it to be "seasonal" - but it started weakening in August; good news: interest rates are looking like they are staying put for a while...unless something really bizarre happens, they should remain right about 6-7% until summer (but hey, it's still good ol' Alan Greenspan at the helm...who knows). I hope it's not "bursting", I'd rather it be more like a slow leak in your tire...bursting would not be good.

Not to hijack the thread, but a burst would suit me just fine. I don't think there is any upward pressure on interest rates, so a nice 10-20% discount on house prices would be great. The low interest rates have been sustaining artifically high house prices, but it's coasting to a halt. Either way, I'll be buying in the year to come. I'm tired of paying rent. I'll give you a head's up when I do.

112 jumps in 2001
229 jumps so far this year

Jumping slows down between November and March up here in the North. Not alot of jumpers show up cause it is "too cold" and we cannot get the plane off the ground (need 7 to fly normally). Although sometimes the ground is just too wet and soggy for the planes to get around towards Spring. The DZO just aquired a 206 so it will be easier to jump this winter since it will fly with 3 jumpersB|.

Time and willingness to be away from my wife and daughter are bigger constraints than the money. The times I actually go jumping, I often try to churn out some serious jump numbers, with varying degrees of success.

Last time was great, 19 jumps in a weekend. 10 is more average recently. But I only jump about 2 days per month.

Being poor sucks. If i have to decide between eating and jumping - i'll go with the jumping. I've made around 250ish jumps so far this season and i still got a trip to FL and the Eloy trip to get more jumps in.:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yey, I'm in the norm. I can afford about 3-5 a week.

I'm a college student. I have a well-compensated part-time job and I pay all my bills in full on time, including car payment. After all that, I am left w/ enough for, usually about 3 a week.

I am hoping to eventually move to the "I'm sponsored and my jumps are free" category, but that won't be for a while off.

I pawned ALL MY gold jewlrey (I don't wear gold anyways) my scuba gear, 2 surfboards, 2 wakeboards and 3 formal gowns when I started jumping. That was all I had of value.

I kept one surf-board b/c it's a piece of crap and I wouldn't get much for it anyways, so I still ride it. And since then, I've acquired some really nice furniture that I'm ABSOLUTELY NOT pawning.

Now, instead of saying "what can I pawn" I say, "what risky investments can I make" and pray for ample returns. So far, I've been lucky.

Geez...I think skydivers must have the most creative minds in the world b/c we're ALWAYS coming up w/ new and exciting ways to pay for jumps.;-)

If I'm not training, I can afford to make 3-6 per weekend. Of course, that's about as many as I can possibly make, since we only have one 182...3 a day is a good day at home.

The average training weekend with my team costs me about $600, including travel to Phoenix. Luckily, we get $15 training jumps at Eloy, which helps a bit.

We're going to start training twice a month, so I'll probably have to cut back on my jumps at home...maybe to 1 or 2 a weekend.

off topic note: It's snowing like mad here right now! Holy shit!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!