phatcat

Can you play a musical instrument?

Hohonukai's post made me wonder how many here are musically talanted (or at least wannabes like myself:P) I have a guitar that i'm pretty piss-poor at but I'm going to really start learning how to play it tomorrow. No, really, I am!! I know I say that every day, but I mean it this time!

All jokes aside, can you play a musical instrument? Even if you are just beginning, do you like the idea of making up some cool tunes? Watcha play??

I play the flute.

Yes, I've been to band camp.

No, it's not as much fun as they say it is in the movies.

;)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

I started on the cello when I was 10. I took private lessons for 6 years or so on top of being in the school orchestra. I was first chair my senior year in a school orchestra that consistantly placed among the top few school orchestras in the state.

I'm still pretty good, despite a lot of long periods where I don't even take it out of the case. I don't play much in public anymore. I really miss playing with other people.
Skydiving is for cool people only

I played the clarinet and flute in school. I have no idea if i could still play either one. I can actually do a few songs on the drums too. I filled in once for a drummer in a rock band.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

LOL!! I checked out your site and had to laugh at a memory (sorry, I'm being cheesy here, deal with it!)

I used to take this big ass tupperware thingy my mom had and put it upside down on the floor with a pair of headphones underneath it. I plugged the headphones into the microphone jack of the stereo and cranked it as far is it would go. Then I took a couple of butter knives, (holding onto the dull blade end) and started banging the shit out of the tupperware, which was amplified GREATLY by the stereo, and made one HELL of a racket with my "drum solos."

How I never became a drummer escapes me! :D

I played violin in 2nd and 3rd grade. I played clarinet 4th through 10th grade. I played piano 9th - 12th grade. I been playing harmonica since I was about 10, but I never have gotten real good at improvising on it.

I've also messed around with an acoustic guitar ( I suck), an oboe (that one is wierd), a trumpet (not bad for self taught), a bugle (also not bad for self taught), a drum kit (I suck), a zylophone (that is the flat thing with the metal things you hit with that mallet thing, right? ;)), an accordian (really!) and an organ.

Sometime in the near future I'm planning to get a good Blues Harp and a book or two and learn to improvise on the harmonica. I also recently bought a keyboard and I'm tempted to take piano lessons again. I miss making music...

I envy all of you! I wish I could play the piano:(. I bought a keyboard, but haven't had the time to even fool around with it:(. Someday.....on my long list of things to accomplish.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

I play saxophone, baritone sax is my specialty. I also play bass, acoustic and electric. I fiddle around with flute, clarinet, and guitar but I wouldn't say I'm particularly good at them. I also fiddle around with piano a little because they made me learn it for school. I'm a music freak. Yes I am. ;)

Blue Skies,
Adam

Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

sax for a couple of years, guitar since I was 14, a smattering of bass and I am in the process of learning the bag pipes:S, I think that my next is going to be the banjo, gotta love the bluegrass

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

My family is so tone deaf we don't even sing happy birthday!

BUT I can make smoke rise from a mixing board and put the meltdown on some turntables. Pretty damn good with a Microphone as an announcer/mc too. I also dance like a fool, so it's not from a lack of love for music.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

I'm astonished that there haven't been any remarks on this thread about skinflute proficiency...yet....hehehe

Took up guitar back in March of this year. I can play a few tunes, and I can handle about 10 chords (I think), but I don't know how to read music.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I played in school band from 5th grade to 10th grade. I primarily played the Tuba, and I think I got 2nd or 3rd in state on solo's. I also learned to play the Trombone, Baritone, Piano, Trumpet (and coronet, nearly the same instrument), a little french horn, the list goes on. I was never better than beginner/intermediate with any instrument but the Tuba. I quit when we were forced to do the whole marching thing. Not for lack of ability or desire, but because no one in the band took anything seriously and we always placed next to last in any parade.

I can clap in rhythm...but not if I'm chewing gum at the same time.

Actually, I played violin, cello, flute, piano...and I sucked at all of them....and Lord don't let me sing. I sing all the time, usually with the radio cranked up loud enough so I can't hear myself and the neighborhood dogs don't think a siren is coming. Even when I am thoroughly drunk, I know better than to sing Kareoke...

Ah well, the musical gene fairy just didn't shine on me...:(

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~