phatcat

Can you play a musical instrument?

Let's see. Started playing trombone when I was in 6th grade... Played through graduation, so 7 years total. I was consistently first chair, and could rock, so long as the music was written for me.

I did 4 years of Jazz Band, but, while I know the basics about improv, I always had my solos written out for me (and, actually, tried pretty hard to talk my director into letting me play 4th chair/bass trombone, because kicking out those low notes rocks, but unfortunately, I was about the only one who could even hit the 1st chair notes).

I did pit orchestra for the high school musical for four years. I don't remember if it was "Once Upon A Matress" or "Annie", but that was the hardest sheet music I ever came across. No high school student should ever have to deal with double sharps.

Let's see... pep band, city festival, parades, epcot, and disney... I was a true band geek.

My junior year I became drum major of the marching band. This is probably the reason I couldn't continue on in college. I loved directing the band; I liked the fact that when I made a mistake (which I did a number of times), I could actually hear the results. Nothing like watching the horn section try to keep up when you're about 40 bpm faster than the song's supposed to be.

I used to play tenor horn (which also makes me able to play trumpet as well). I started on the euphonium though.

{edit} forgot to add played a bit of drums as well (not a lot, but hey).
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

I played piano from the time I was 8 (you do the math), and clarinet, some sax, and any percussion including xylephone in high school and college. During marching season I "played flag and rifle" except for the one year in college where I broke my hand :(.

I used to work with our middle school band until my daughter quit being drum major to be a cheerleader.

I still have a piano in my family room but I only touch it when I'm by myself.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

clarinet and then basson in school, and I also played the piano for 4 years and still have the same piano. My kids take piano lessons now, and they are much better than I ever was. I like to sing, but other people prefer it when I don't!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I played the clarinet (classical) for 16 years. soloed at the Meyerhoff in Baltimore, state orchestra, etc. even got into manhatten school of music when i applied for colleges. they were going to let me cross over and do a major in psych at Columbia as well.

piano i started when i was about 12, played for 2 years, gave it up. picked it back up again when i was 18. played seriously for about 5 yeras, now it's more of an outlet for stress for me.

alto sax played for 2 years, jazz.

acoustic guitar is my main instrument now (have two fenders). been playing for about 4 years. play every day, at least 4 hours.

i also sing. some people i work with and myself have gotten a grant to do a promo CD, to be recorded in 2003.

:)Piano
Organ (very different to piano)
Trumpet
Guitar
Flute...but not very good
Violin...same
Tried clarinet and the saxaphone...but the mouthpiece thing didnt agree with me.

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

I played classical piano for 11 years:P

I play a little bit of drums and a little clarinet.

When I was 4 I REALLY wanted to play drums. My father said I'd have to learn piano first b/c it was the "basis of all music." I was a natural and I guess he liked having me play for his snooty friends so I never got my drum set:(

I used to play my friend's drums though all the time. He showed me how and I REALLY love it. I daydream all the time, when songs come on, that I'm the drummer.

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I've been playing guitar for about 30 yrs. Grew up on British Invasion, Hendrix, Cream, etc. Still love to play rock and blues, but jazz is my musical passion. Used to bring my acoustic axe to the DZ for campfire sing alongs. Have written a few songs sung to known melodies. Looking for a DZ that actually has a night life, things are getting to serious and boring my way.

Get some changes down and let's jam - bebop rules!
(if you're a musician you'll understand my ID right away ;) )

I play the flute.

Yes, I've been to band camp.

No, it's not as much fun as they say it is in the movies.

And exactly what part of what they say in the movies isn't as much fun?
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

thanks, you guys!!! :S

i had this crazed out funkedified dream last night about a whole bunch of dz.commers, myself included, filling an otter load whilst carrying our respective musical instruments (for a badass landing jam session, of course).

i thought i had it bad trying to figure out how to safely sling up a strat, pedal, and amp to myself... then i saw jessica monkeying with that damn cello! :D:D:D

steve