skybytch

What you consider when deciding where to buy gear?

If I want gear... I want it now. I've stuck to buying used so far since its cheaper (Big one), I can have it the next day if I want, and I know its coming frm a jumper.

When I buy new gear I've always bought from some place that has it in stock, has a jumper on the phone I can talk to and have questions answered and they have to have a webpage with lots of info. I'm yet to order online simply since if I'm spending $300+ like normal I'm probally going to have a few questions.

For stuff like jumpsuits.. after sale service is way high on the list.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yup, Quade said it. This poor Aggie jumper would have sewn patches on his jumpsuit, done advertising, testimonials, even nude photo shoots (if need be) for some sponsership, even just a helmet or a pro-track or someting. Alas, that happened not and I sit looking at two maxed out credit cards, chipping away at my gear debt...

:P

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It depends on what it is....

If I ever buy new, custom gear, and there's not that much difference in price, I'll probably get it from Square One, because you're my pal, and because I know you'll spend time with me discussing my options.

But if I'm buying little trinkets that require no thought, like rigging supplies or rubber bands or something, I'll probably go with Para-Gear or Sunshine Factory or SkyKat, because they have an enormous selection and their Web sites and shopping carts are really easy to use and my addled brain doesn't have to think much.

Jumpsuits I'll buy straight from the maker.

I tend to buy used for most of my major gear, simply because I don't have ulimited money to spend on skydiving stuff.
Skydiving is for cool people only

How I am treated before I purchase will tell me a lot about how I'm treated after the sale is completed. If I have someone who I like answering questions and treating me fairly before I lay my money out, then chances are I will have a better chance at fair dealings once I receive my gear.

Another aspect of this is answering my questions even when the salesperson knows I am not buying today, or maybe not even next week. My life can depend on the information I gather, and being able to gather it from a knowledgeable source without "buy now!" pressure is important.

And lastly, a person who doesn't push one, more expensive, product over another for no discernable reason other than profit margin is the person I'm going to develop trust with...and in this sport, trust is the most important part (seeing as I'm a beginner, and just starting to put my gear together....).

My .02's worth, as always!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Anything that needs a custom fit, I'll go to my home DZ's dealer. That way I know somebody who knows what they are doing is taking the measurements, I have a decent rapport with them, and I've seen them go to hell and back for their customers. Plus their prices seem fairly competitive.

Square One wins big points because a certain saleswoman gave up a sale by telling me I was getting a better deal elsewhere. Since then I've been a loyal customer unless there is some huge overriding factor, like a large price difference. (Ok, really I'm in it for the free pull-up cords. Can't have too many of those.:P )

If I need it now I order from Para-gear, but only because they are close enough that I can drive there and pick it up myself if need be.

My most important consideration is the gear itself. I guess that means "selection". I'm very picky about my gear, and that means that I generally have to buy from three or four places to get exactly the right components for a rig (not counting the custom stuff). Gear manufacturers/dealers pretty much hate me...

Oh, wait, were you talking about skydiving gear? I dunno, i haven't bought any of that for two years.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

For major spend items, physical location is a big consideration for UK (and Euro?) jumpers who want to avoid import duty hassles. Its bad enough spending large amounts of ill-gotten gains on a rig, only to have the cost increased just to get it into the country.>:(>:(>:( If I buy a rig locally (in a global sense) then at least I know how much I'm paying. I got burned badly when buying my first rig this way.:(:(
Apart from that, I will generally buy gear from people I like, respect, or have met at some stage or another. Price is secondary to this aspect, unless there is a HUGE difference. I really prefer doing business with people I know....B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Customer service, if they are good to you when your just asking around for prices etc, theh the chances are they'll be good to you when your having problems ordering or have any after sales problems.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Service after, Dealer Rep., and Website ordering (esp. with the online coloring guide)

What about "dealer carries a specific brand"?

Canopy preference for me is PD PD PD, so if a dealer doesn't carry them, no business.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

On a lot of stuff I buy the price differences from one dealer to the next are pretty negligible. Therefor I usually try to let my purchases benefit someone I know. If they are good people to deal with I'll buy from them. Normally if I order things it's either from Lisa or Tony Thacker. They are both good people to deal with and I have recieved excellent service.

I suppose price is the most important factor. However, once I establish a good relationship with a company, I will be willing to pay a bit more before going to another cheaper place.

For my new rig, I bought a canopy at a place because they were the cheapest around. However, I received such good customer service, that I went back for my container too. I would have liked to buy the reserve and cypres there too, but for a poor college student, I would have rather saved 200$. But whenever I am looking for another product, I always check with the place I have shopped before at and enjoy doing business with.

When I was really new, I tried to ask questions from my local vendors and didn't get sold to. So I measured myself and ordered online.

Funny, now that I know these people from having spent so much time in the air with them over the last year, they give me great customer service. But they missed that initial big gear purchase.

I think AFF grads should be briefed on equipment by the local vendor, and if that vendor is good, they can sell them appropriate new or used gear.

Now that the manufacturers have my measurements, I just order through them. I got both my Wings rigs through Sunshine Factory, so I do most of my online shopping through them.

JP

Unfortunately, gear vendors, especially the littler ones like the ones on a lot of DZs, *have* to push a certain kind of rig, or something else. For instance, Javelin dealers have to sale some sort of obsurd number for a smaller guy, something like 20 a year. So, you'll see some DZs where all the students buy Javelins right off of student status. Maybe a Jav wasn't exactly what they would have ended up with if they did more research. I'm not saying that those gear salers aren't nice people who mean well, they just have to meet a quota so they don't loose money and can keep being a dealer, etc.

As for me, I try to go through my local dealer when I can, since I like the guy and it really helps him out, but when I order something out, its usually from the manufacture or from da Bytch. She's taken care of me in the past (even if it was only 1 Alti-III) and I know she will in the future.:)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that when i was looking for a new Sabre2, i found a store $40 cheaper than square1. I went with square1 anyway. It ws worth the extra money to buy from someone i know and trust. And i'm sure Lisa got a commision...anything to help a freind.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Nothing. If you consider gear salespeople who are informed about their customers wants and needs to be something worth wasting a few seconds of your time clicking on some buttons then your response is appreciated. I'm not the only gear salesperson who reads and posts here.

No one seems to mind wasting a few seconds clicking on buttons for such weighty subjects as "Ketchup - sauce or condiment?" Guess I figured some people wouldn't mind clicking for something that might actually benefit them...

When I started out, there was basically no option for buying from a gear store in person. The one on-site was pathetic and run by someone I personally found to be be incompetent, even as a novice myself. I looked through websites and stuck on ParaGear. Although I bought my rig used, I ordered all the misc. little things like helmet, alti, goggles, etc. from ParaGear. The service was good, prices seemed good, and the deliveries were prompt.

With a little time in the sport, I've ordered from Square 1 once, but I'm not a major gear buyer. Until I win the lottery, I'll be in maintenance and replacement mode. I won't be getting a second rig or downsizing my main in the forseeable future. As long as my gear is in good airworthy condition, I'll probably keep the same stuff I bought on jump 17. I'm looking for a new (used) jumpsuit, but may buy new if I can't find what I'm looking for in the use market.

Basically, the most important thing is straightforward sales help that are honest about the suitability of different options on major purchases (rig, main, etc.). After that, I'd have to say price. Since I'm a relatively low-time conservative jumper, everything I need is carried by pretty much all the vendors. I'm not looking for exotic gear.

That help, Lisa? :)