Iflyme

Lotsa tears at my house today

We had our beloved old dog "Jackson" euthanized today at home ... buried him out in the yard in the pouring rain ... difficult time for my wife and I. but particularly hard for my two daughters (8 and 10) ... sad losing an old friend... Jackson was part Sheppard, part Husky. We got him when he was just a tiny pup ... but at 12 years old, his time had come :(

The Rainbow Bridge, Author Unknown

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

(the website is www.petloss.com . It is a great site for people who've lost a pet.)

Frank, it is never easy to let go of our four-legged family members. It is especially difficult for children who've been around them all their lives. But how special and wonderful that Jackson had you there, and was able to go in peace at home, among those he loved and knew best.

My most sincere condolences, and speedy healing to you and yours...

Blue skies and rabbit chasing forever, Jackson.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That is beautiful, Michele ... put a smile on my otherwise sorrowful face ... thanks everyone for the kind words. Right now my 8 year old is writing about the day in her journal ... it will help her grieve. I should go and see how she is making out...

My heart goes out to you and your family. The loss of a pet is not easy. Sad to say, I will face this again before long. My dog is now 11 and not doing too good. Been there before:(

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Thats hard to go thru. Had to do that to my old cat Bob 2 years ago. Had him since he was little also.

I'm sure Jackson had a great home with you and your family for his 12 years. You showed a lot of love for him by letting him go with dignity.

Blue Skies and Soft Grass to roll in Jacjson

You and your family have our sympathies.

It's always tough to lose a companion animal, especially so when they have been in your life so long.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

gotta agree with greg here, lighten up or find where the smiley face buttons are. There are often times that for an animal to outlive its normal life expectancy is much more cruel then to have it put to sleep. Geez, man lay off the Stacker 2;)

I'm not afriad of dying, I'm afraid of never really living- Erin Engle

“Wieder’s First Class Chauncey Bear”
12/11/1989-12/11/2002
“In Our Hearts And Minds Forever”

It is indeed a rare occasion one get’s the opportunity to acquire such a unique animal to enhance your life. We met “Bear” in Winchester, Texas in the winter of 1989, we drove edith’s new little dodge Daytona out to Roy Karisch’s place to pick him up, we paid $45.00 for him, needless to say, Roy got took. Our love affair started right away, he shivered for 4 days after we brought him home. He slept on a pair of my old coveralls. Bear and I were instant friends, he liked me, and I liked him. In time, I trained him to be very protective of my family, as I didn’t want to have to worry about them when I was out of town working on oil rigs. This particular dog, was by far, the most talented, intelligent, warm and loving animal I ever met. Our son Jonathan taught Bear the finer etiquette of sports, he love to get the football. For all the years we had him with us, one single incident stands out in my mind the most. I was 4-wheellin’ out by the tank, and I got “Big Red” stuck, water was gushing in through the doors, he was in the back, I couldn’t open the door because the water being too deep, I had to climb out of the window of the truck to “lock in” the 4 wheel drive, when I started getting out, he never thought twice, he jumped out of the back of the truck, and went swimming, not paying any attention to my dilemma.

Bear was slowly but surely deteriorating physically, he had hip displasmia, poor eyesight, hearing defect, and he was always falling down, and stumbling. I knew the “end” was near, and that it couldn’t be avoided much longer. Edith had been trying to get me to realize this, but I didn’t want to, although I knew it was inevitable. I just couldn’t give him up, I was selfish. I hope Bear isn’t upset with me, for prolonging his agony. He went peacefully today, edith and I dug his grave, and Dr. Neil came to the house, and administered the euthuanation, he went quietly, with edith at his side, I couldn’t handle it, I was crying uncontrollably, and couldn’t stop. A part of me died today, I only hope that my friend can forgive me for prolonging his pain and suffering. I have been crying all day long at my loss, but I have to think that it is Bear’s gain. He had a soul, and a spirit, and I know he’s in heaven.

Bear, from “Momma, and Daddy” we’re sad, and heartbroken, we love you, we miss you, I will always carry a piece of you with me, until the day I die. Sleep well Bear, chase you some bunnies. Lot’s of love, and hugs from momma and daddy, there will never be another like you, ever. Jennie, Tiger, and Jozie send they’re love as well. God bless you.

i know your pain. i hope you and your family can endure this tragic event and find a "new love" your pet can never be replaced, but you can still cherish the memories. take care, god bless.

Day 1:

I am still dealing with the peril of losing my “Bear Dog” I can’t stop thinking about him, when I look to his gravesite, I can only cry uncontrollably. Writing my feelings seem to help some, but my vision is blurry with tears. A lot of people, my wife included probably think I’m crazy for “going on” like this over a dog, but this was no ordinary dog, this was one of the most faithful, caring, unconditional loving, fiercely protective animal I’ve ever seen. Even when I had to punish him (yes, he was hard headed sometimes) he always came back to me to make up with me, he couldn’t stand it if I was mad at him. I tried so hard to cherish every minute I had with him in the last days of his life, as I knew the end was very near. I can’t stop blaming myself for prolonging his agony, and pain, just because I wanted him with me, I was extremely selfish, and I wonder even now, did we do the right thing. He couldn’t even get up before the vet arrived, then he got up by himself, and walked outside by himself, as if to show us one more time, “hey, I got this” he was a champion, truly a “braveheart” I really need to get past this, it’s killing me, I’m in quite a bit of pain. I don’t know how edith does it, I asked her last night, and she wouldn’t tell me, I hope she doesn’t think I’m a weakling for not handling this any better. I swore when I lost the first “Bear Dog” I would NEVER-EVER become so close to an animal again, now I can safely say that this was never a true statement. I love Jennie-Winnie, Tiger-Wiger, and Jozie-Wozie to death. This whole ordeal has caused me to do some soul-searching. Why is it, that some of us think more of our animals, than we do some humans? Easy answer I think, they love unconditionally, they are constant givers, not takers, and they’re always glad to see you, ALWAYS, unless they’ve been miss-behaving. I will continue to write about my “Bear” until I stop hurting, as this is the only means at my disposal that I seem to identify with. I actually thought Edith would be a bigger “wreck” than I am, but such is not the case. Bear, I love you, I miss you so much, if you were just here “huffing, and puffing” and I had to endure 50 degree temperatures to keep you happy, I would. I’m sorry for having waited so long to “send you home” I hope you forgive me for waiting so long, and I hope your not mad at me, that would destroy me. This morning, while in bed, I felt you, I know you were there, I felt the bed shake, the way it used to when you wanted to wake me up to let you outside. Just know, I’ll NEVER forget you, and I’m visualizing you in “Bear-Dog Heaven” chasing bunnies, and maybe even Mandy-Bear. The first, and only “love” of your all, but too brief life. Bear, I want to thank you for giving me the time and love, and memories that you did, you were indeed a “trooper” for hanging around as long as you did. I’d like to think when I was laying on the floor with you, after your mama and I had dug your grave, that you understood the things I was saying to you, I just know you did, I hope I said “goodbye” in a way you understood, and I’m sure I did, because I know you were in my room this morning. Here’s to always loving you, and cherishing the memories that you so lovingly gave your mama and myself. Rest well Bear, I Love You.

Day Two:

Well I spent the afternoon “dressing out “ Bear Dog’s grave. I put 3 gigantic stones on top of him, well two actually, and turned the third one up for a head stone. Then, I arranged all of my most favorite collected pieces of petrified wood all around the big concrete stones. Ants were everywhere, so I poisoned the heck out of them with spray. I put the extra license plate EU4I-C5 at his head stone, because I wanted to give him something I really liked for his own. I talked to him, and cried some more, but I feel better now. In some way this has given me “some” peace At least I know the wolvies won’t dig him up, and the ants won’t get to him. I promised him I’d maintain his grave as long as I was alive, and that I’d come back and put some of the limestone gravel around the gravesite to make it look good for him, he agreed, I also promised him I’d put a cross on his gravesite, he liked that. Bear and I talked, I thanked him for “visiting” me this morning, and told him anytime he wanted to “drop by” to feel free to do so, he is more than welcome at any time, he liked that too! Bear is in a good place now, I feel, he didn’t have much to complain about. I had a talk with him about the time I took to let him go, he didn’t hold it against me, and I don’t think he was ready to “GO” until he did. He’s at peace now, no more pain, no more having to fight for every breath, or stumbling, and falling down. He left us with his dignity, and his nobility intact, as he demonstrated by walking outside for the last time all by himself (knowing he had just minutes to live) with no help from any of us. Bear, I love you with ALL of my heart and soul, I will NEVER forget you, and your mama, and myself will keep your gravesite up just like I promised you we would. Tell Mandy Bear “Hello” for us, and don’t chase so many “bunnies, and babies” Take care, my beloved, noble canine friend, we will always miss you, and never forget you.

With Much Love:

Your Mama And Daddy

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

That's rude and totally uncalled for. I hope you never have the decision to make of putting down a much loved pet. Your lack of compassion shows through.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Touching story, Richard ... I know we will be going through similar feelings for a while.

Thanks again for the kind words everyone. It really helps us knowing we are not alone is having so much grief ...

Don't know where you are coming from Tonto ... I can only assume you've got issues ...

Sorry for your family's loss, Frank. I've been there and I know how hard it is, but I think you handled it as well as you could! Everyone had a chance to say good by and you let him go with dignity.

And Michele, quit making me cry!!!:$

maura