akaGQ

What was the most unique or memorable jump you made in 2002?

What a wild year!

I do have to say, each jump was better than the last, starting from the first of the year snow jump to the last one at Eloy, each and every one had its own accomplishments, people, planes, and they were all very special.
If there had to be only one most memorable, it would have to be the one I didn't walk away from. BUT, that was September and this is now, its a new year and I have some wonderful opportunities ahead!! FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!
Life is not fair and there are no guarantees...

I made a lot of cool jumps, but without a doubt the coolest of the cool was on 12-28-02 (the most awesome day of skydiving I've had to date) in Eloy Arizona. I did a high altitude (free fly) jump where I zen'ed out in a head down for about 60 seconds. It was magical. I'm not very religous, but I swear God (if there is a God) reached out to me on that jump.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have 2:

AFF Level 5 in June...my breakthrough jump. I stopped spinning and felt comfortable in the air for the first time...had the biggest smile ever on my face and haven't stopped smiling since :)
A sunset load in October...I had never seen a sunset as beautiful as that before...I can still picture it.

There are two answers. The first one is I don't remember any single jump well enough, so I have to keep trying :)
However, an 8-way (or something) where I couldn't get grips and had to just hope would have to be memorable. The exit was clean enough that I was just kind of there; never floated more than about 2 feet away, and it was probably better than if I had gotten the legstrap grip. That was cool.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Gosh, I have several.

1) my third freefly jump ever, I was being coached by Keith Snyder at Eloy, and I was sooooo hungover. The day before my two attempts had been...well...BAD, and the first jump of the morning it was like a revelation. Boom! I got it! I held a stable sit, did a 360, and even a stand on that one jump. A major breakthrough.

2) My first jump at an Airspeed 4-way skills camp in late Feb....it was to be the start of an incredible year for me of MASSIVE improvement. Over 300 jumps later I can barely stand to watch myself fly on those early tapes, but it's an incredible reminder of how far I've come and how hard work and dedication can pay off.

3) My first "jump" into the wind tunnel. ;)

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

My first freefall. I've been having trouble with the TRCP for a while, so I've been really pumped about it. First jump of the day - TRCP. Come off the step, do everything too fast, land bummed out. Instructor comes, says I did good, approves me for freefall. Running around, shouting at everyone, and jumping on my friends ensues.

Next jump, first freefall - turtle (I'm not very good at this:)

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I had a lot of good jumps this year. I'd have to say the most memorable wasn't a good one, but it was definitely an eye-opener. On a night jump the pilot flew us in to a T-cell on jump run, we started spinning and I was pinned to the floor untill he got it back 5000' later. I got out there (while the rest of the load wanted to go back to altitude with him:S). By this time, clouds had moved in and it was pretty dark. Didn't see the ground, landed no-flare. I don't remember much, but from what I was told the way the DZO handled it was more in his interests then mine.ie: throw him in a car and get him the fuck out of here. while I was bleeding profusely from my noggin. That jump was an eye-opener as to the character of that DZO

I got nuthin

I would have to say it's this one. After a very exhausting day of freefly where we were trying to complete some very difficult dives, for our last jump Rastas (center head down) said "everyone just stay close and take turns docking on me." This was really the first dive that everyone was right there. I learned so much that day. Thanks Rastas.

everybody180.JPG

Tossup between the C-130 and the Bell 412 at Rantoul...no, wait...it was definitely Rod Tinney's Bell 412. Always an unforgettable ride.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

There's a few. O.K., it's not like I had hundreds to choose from.

But three stand out most - the one with Hot Tamaly and Lisa on a 5 way, backwards out of the van, ending up in a huge funnel and then me getting stable headdown clutching Nick...that was cool...

The jump with Don Ellisor in August. I had a great jump, but what happened in my head was neater; we debriefed and while I kept looking at what went wrong, Don kept redirecting me to what went right. And that technique has become incorporated into my walking life in general.

And the Canopy Control Class jump #1, when I saw Clint Clawson come out on the hig alti HnP, swooping at me from above...and the plane with me in the sky...and really pushing myself and a brand new canopy for the very first time, and "getting" that the sack of potatoes which I had been was no more - that I was in control, and I could do this thing! I could fly!

I soooooooo want to have more to choose from this year. More epiphanic jumps, more joy with friends jumps, more learning curve jumps - more JUMPS!!! in general.

Whhhhhheeeeee, I get to start that tomorrow!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I think all my jumps were memorable to me in one way or another,
as a student for most of last year due to just being flat broke, getting into the saddle again was a real high.
March 16th First AFF
March 21st Two jumps in one day....wow, but the last for 8 and a half months. [:/]
December 9th Back again. B|
December 25th Landed in the peas. :)December 26th First reserve ride. B|
January 1st First two jumps of the year. B|

The most memorable to me though, had to be my first consolation jump, (Dec 13th)
in the back of porter talking to an English guy who had more jumps than me but was still nervous,
and telling me this was his make or break trip, i like to think i put him at ease, as i gave him my best evil laugh.
So eventually there i was me and an open door, i did a quick handles check goofed the pilot (who wasn't looking) and did a superman out of the door.
When i got down i couldn't wipe the grin off of my face.
Needless to say the guy who was a bit shakey in the plane was grinning too, we had both conquered our fears.

Man....i fucking love this sport.

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

Well, I wasn't gonna post to this thread, as all of them are memorable in one way or another, to me. Then I got to thinking, and realized I share a special jump with about 109 other people in the world.

Had to haul out the logbook to make sure I got the details right....

Jump number 74, September 10th, 2002, WFFC, Rantoul, IL.

I had bought a jet ticket, then cashed it in when the jet didn't make it. I used that money for t-shirts and other things to take home as memories. I had not bought a C130 ticket, as I didn't have enough cash left over.

Over the loudspeaker I heard they were doing a special. A C130 jump for two regular jump tickets! I hauled ass down to ticket sales, and manifested on the sunset load! Woo Hoo! I was gonna get to jump the C130 after all!

I heard throughout the day that there were going to be a few low altitude formation passes, and some cool stuff by the swoop pond. Well, I wanted to be sure I had my camera for that! I figured they would be doing that right after the second pass, and the C130 was empty. Little did I know it would happen while I was on the plane!

I was manifested as last out on the first pass. There was one other guy that was doing a solo, so he was also last out (two rows exiting at the same time). The exit on that plane has no wait between groups. You are going so fast the plane gives all the seperation you need.

We took off, and I watched my altimeter go to 750 feet very fast. Then it just hung there for a minute or two. Suddenly, there are screams, shouts, laughter, ooohs and aahhhs through the entire back of the plane. I look up to see Don, in his jet (LN39?) playing around behind the C130. Talk about cool!

Now, I look at my altimeter, and realize it's going back down! Whoa here! What the hell is going on? Looking behind the taligate, we see Fleahop darting around, then suddenly, there is the unmistakable sound of a Bell 412....

Rod pops up into view, and the plane just goes WILD! All this time my altimeter is steadily going down. We are under 250 feet now.

Rod pops back down, just out of view, but we can still hear him. Eyes straining, we look at the open tailgate. Rod is so close, we can see the reflection of his rotors in the pristine white paint of the top gate! This goes on for a couple of minutes, then he's gone, it's quiet, and we are climbing again. Don pops into view a few times, keeping us on our toes.

We are now at (an undisclosed) altitude, and the door man calls one minute. We ready all gear, and the next thing I know, we are running full bore at that gaping hole in the rear.

It's my and the other solo guys turn, as last out. I'm running as fast as I can, as is he. Just as we reach the tailgate, I pause. I'm selfish. I want this last out to be mine, and as he can't stop, it is all mine.

I see him go, hop onto the end of the tailgate, and leap out. As I jump, I spin a simple 180, and wave at all left in the plane, in skydiver fashion, with one finger on each hand.

I was told about the downblast from the tail, and I had prepared myself for it, by presenting a boxman to the tail. The downblast hits me, and hits me hard, but I stay stable in the faithful position.

As I am being slammed downward, I am watching the tailgate move away. Out of the corner of my eye, I see something that just doesn't seem right! I look to the right, and there's Don, in his jet, tucked up under the right wing of the big bird. What a memorable sight! How many people can say they have seen this sight, from my position? How many in the previous groups, intent on their points, totally missed the sight I am now seeing? All I can think, is WOW...

I play in the sky, for what seems like an eternity. I wave off, even though I'm not sure why, and pull a bit high, around 2500. I look below. I'm directly over the swoop pond, and there are over 50 canopys fighting under me for airspace in which to land, to the cheers of the crowd.

I decide I shall not be one of them. I fully trust my canopy skills, but I have no idea the skills of those directly under me, and do not wish to become a WFFC statistic. I had landed in that area a few times over the last week, and the rotors and turbulance off the hangars had bothered me.

I unstow my brakes, check my controls, grab the rear risers, and float over to the tent city area. I locate the cardboard X near our tents, that had been there all week. The previous jump, I had a crowd watch as I crashed and burned reaching for that X, and I decide now is the time to nail it.

I check my airspace, nobody around. I pull down my right front riser, and build up some serious speed carving to final. I plane out directly in front of my tent, knees tucked slightly, toes inches off the ground. I'm on target, maybe 50 feet out from the X. A couple of slight corrections, a reach with my right foot, and I toe tap a dead center on that X. I finish the "swoop" in about 30 or 40 feet, realizing I must have really been moving (for me, at least), and touch down with one little step. What is that I hear? Cheers? Huh? I look around, and many of those that had jeered my last landing here, are now yelling, hooting, hollering, and clapping, all with big grins on their faces! Damn, that felt good! One of the guys even shakes my hand (later).

I wrap up my canopy, walk all of 40 or 50 feet to our tents, drop my gear in the packing area, and sit down. My mind is racing from that jump. So many new things, so many things gone right. So many sights I may never see again. I just sit there for a few minutes, soaking it all in, and waiting to see the flybys. A good friend comes running over, and tells me all about the formation fly bys. It isn't until this very moment that I realize what I was just a part of. At that moment, it all sinks in, and I grab my logbook and start writing. I want this all down before I forget a single, tiny detail. I didn't get the pictures that I had so dearly wanted of the formations, but came away with something oh so much better.

What a Ride!

Blues!
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

It would have to be one of two jumps. I did my first tandem on July 7, 2002. That was when I knew I was hooked on skydiving. I was also hooked to someone else for the jump.:( The other jump was my first jump with my own parachute. That just reinforced my intention to continue in this awesome sport.:D

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I have a good job compared to Eastern European standards, yet out of this job I won't have a rig.
That is why I would do anything for a rig.
I should create a new maffia we have Italians, Chinese, Russians, Ukrainians,
Let's have a SKYDIVERS MAFFIA.

OVER

My first Cross-Country jump. I love being that high up for so long regardless of the cold. next time i am bringing a point and shoot in my jump suit.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin