nubain1

Do you recieve a hard time from your co-workers about skydiving?

Hey, another skydiving safety consultant.

I'm currently working high-tech (semi-conductor fab) and have fun with it. I try to show pictures of skydivign during safety training classes and explain that even things that seem "risky" can be done safely IF people have the proper training, equipment and use good judgement.

Usually gets recieved pretty good, but I do get same pretty blank stares.

E

all that BS you see on motivational posters ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHA:D

I have that same poster about 3 ft away from me!!!!

>>>
A good friend will bail you outta jail... A true friend will be sitting next to you saying "That was fucking awesome!!!'

Most of my co-workers are just really curious about it and always want to hear stories. Every monday one of my bosses usually sits and talks with me for a half hour or so, hearing about the weekend's jumps. My other boss worries about me skydiving. He always tells me "You're so little, what if you just jump out one day and float away?" All in all they are very supportive though. I have a few skydiving pictures hanging in my cubicle and people are always staring at them.

My bosses didn't like me at the restaurant where I used to work. I'd call in sick, always request weekends off, etc so that I could jump. They caught on quickly, so I started getting doctor's notes (Purdue's health facilities will always tell you you're sick.)
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

No I don't get hasseled by my co-workers. Why? I took seventeen of them upto the DZ to do Tandems........ Now when they know I'm jumping they just feel envious or ask me when can they come again!! B|

When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I just started a new job and have yet to bring it up. Some previous employers/managers have given me a hard time in the past, some of it good natured and some not so good natured.

Anyway, with this new job, I figure I should settle in a bit before I bring in my skydiving pictures for my desk! Let them get to know me a little before they instantly label me as some sort of daredevil freak!

My boss always has a chuckle about it. "Did you jump this weekend?" I'll say yes.

Often times, other people in thelunchroom ask me whether I jumped during the weekend, and then "how was it?" I mainly get a positive response from people since I always make it a situtation where I don't pressure them into it.

I just tell them that the sport's not for everybody, and they seem to like the vicarious nature of the stories.

-

My wife is hotter than your wife.

When I 1st worked moved here everyone was a bit freaked out about it, but after they learned more about it and the fact that I never got hurt, they chilled out about. Now most of them think it's cool, and several of them want to go do a tandem, they didn't even think about the cold I was the one who said in the spring when it's warm I'll set a tandem weekend up.

Now when I broke my wrist snowboard did I ever get razzed, 1st thing my manager said was that I need to stick to safe sports like skydiving. :P

Fly it like you stole it!

constantly, they think i'm "retarded" for jumping out of "perfectly good airplanes" i swear, if i hear that one more time....ughhhhhhhh >:( what in the world is wrong with these people?

--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

not at all.. In fact one of them got me started, and another one got her started... now i've got 2 years to talk another coworker into it or i break the chain.:)
one of the nice things about working with the military is very few wuffos to deal with on a regular basis, even those who arent interested at all understand why others might enjoy it...

I work with an office full of stuffy auditors. The younger staff are always asking questions about skydiving, but the older "old boys club" think differently. On my yearly appraisal, the only thing bad that is ever put in the report is that they are worried my extra-curricular activites (ie: skydiving) will interfere with my work. They don't believe I should be doing it because if I get hurt, then I will not be able to make it to work and I may miss an important meeting.

How's that for pathetic! :P
Tee

I have gotten razzed a bit when I started at my new job here but, after everyoen found out there My boss, and some of the other managers at the office have gone out they stopped razzing and actually took some interest.

It seems that is usually the case when people find out. First they flame, then the want to try it.

"Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools." Napoleon Bonaparte

We have 4 skydivers in the office, several others have done tandems. Only time my boss looked worried was when I described my cutaway in detail.
He still thinks I'm nuts, but in a nice way. The company did a little piece in the company newsletter about a couple of us, with pictures.
I did try to see if they would like to sponsor us with some gear, but it didn't get very far.

Hard time? riight it's more like I get harassed! hehehe no it's not like that, but I am however slowly breaking them down. I think most people don't realize just how much control you have up there. It's hard to show my co-workers especially since they are all flight instructors, it's weird because in skydiving I have found so many jumpers to be pilots. My boss though thinks its hilarious, so hey guess its not a bad thig! ;)

On my yearly appraisal, the only thing bad that is ever put in the report is that they are worried my extra-curricular activites (ie: skydiving) will interfere with my work.

I would say this might be an issue for your lawyer. If your company does not expressly forbid what you do away from work, it's none of their business. Even then, depending on what you do, it's probably none of their business, and should not show as a negative on your work performance.

At the very least, you should suggest that they mitigate by letting you work from home. The extra risk you assume driving to work every morning is probably unreasonable. You can teleconference into the meetings. ;)

2 weeks ago in a meeting about an upcoming plant shutdown. The subject came up about the need to inspect the top of a 125' tower which is my responsibility. The "new guy" stated the he would never go up that high and that I was crazy to do it. The entire room just exploded with laugher. Someone said "D.T. jumps out of planes."

The look of horror on this new guys face was priceless. B|

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

I get hassled a lot. Mainly because I was sick a lot for almost a year, about 3 years back. At the end of that year I was told not to get sick again during December. :S Like that is something I can do much about......
Anyways they later tried blaming *my skydiving* . But I only started doing that when I was feeling better!! Reaction: Eh. Oh.
No excuses, and no explanation of why skydiving would cause me to be sleepy/feverish for almost a year!

My boss, a year later, very serious and practically shouting: Well you can see can't you that your skydiving causes a lot of raised eyebrows!! You should take up golf!!

>:( I never had to call in sick because of skydiving. However, some colleagues of mine have had various skiing accidents, and broken bones from other sport accidents. But that is acceptable.>:(

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My boss, a year later, very serious and practically shouting: Well you can see can't you that your skydiving causes a lot of raised eyebrows!! You should take up golf!!

I suppose responding "Golf is for pussies." would have gotten you fired? :S

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I suppose responding "Golf is for pussies." would have gotten you fired? :S

Ehm hard to say... All of the top guys at our company play golf......... Might indeed be a bad career move :P
I do think it is for pussies tho ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia