geanky

philosophical question

Go look for it. Its more than likely not going to come looking for you.

There is a book "Who moved my Cheese". Easy reading and helpful.

Good Luck!

p.s. I saw this on one of the many churche on the way to the drop zone, and I'm not sure how to take it. Is what is worth living for worth dying for?
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

how would you go about in finding what you really want in life?

Go live in a hole in the desert for say about 8 months, eat the same thing every day, not bathe for at least a month(not by choice), have one other set of clothes that look just like the ones your wearing, no running water, electricity, or sit down flush toliets. By the time the 8 months is over you will have a very long list of personal "wants" and what you "want' in life.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Lose something or someone that's important too you......it's amazing how clear you can think when that happens [:/]

"Ignorance may be bliss, however ignorance will not last forever.........and the truth after is twofold"

Steve
Therapy is expensive, popping bubble wrap is cheap.

It'll change with age and experience. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out :P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The problem is that once you've obtained it, then what? Is there then nothing left to look forward to in life? Would it be all down hill from there?

Let's say your goal in life, was to climb Mount Everest. You scrimp, save, work out and do everything there is to somehow make it to the top of Mount Everest. What then?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I like the somewhat zen answer to that question. Desire causes unhappiness. Using that, I try to want nothing instead.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

how to find what you want...
loss is one idea. Me, I side with vallerina, stop looking. Live your life as it presents itself to you and find happiness in the moments that you're lucky enough to experience. Focus on small things. By focusing on the small things, your mind will probably find joy in them, and as you focus on the things that you enjoy, you'll be led along a crumb trail to that which makes you happy. And if happiness isn't what you're looking for, or what you want in life, then I can't help ya.

Oh yeah, the cliff notes version that answers this question can be seen in the movie Bruce the almighty played by Jim Carey, check it out. Be the miricle;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Want nothing, that way when something comes to you it will be an unexpected suprise bonus.

Besides, look @ all the people making life changing moves @ all life's stages. My mom is in her 50's & going to college to get a degree in teaching after being a house mom FOREVER. It's never too late to change your mind; and the more you change the more you lear.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Go live in a hole in the desert for say about 8 months, eat the same thing every day, not bathe for at least a month(not by choice), have one other set of clothes that look just like the ones your wearing, no running water, electricity, or sit down flush toliets. By the time the 8 months is over you will have a very long list of personal "wants" and what you "want' in life.

Have you been to Wales ?

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

After you've achieved the one goal of what you want in life, you set a new one. Everyone wants something right now, and they think that once they have it, they'll be happy. Not true...there's always something out. It doesn't have to be so negative!;)

Blondes do have more fun!

If after achieving a goal you find you have to set a new one in order to be happy, then the first goal wasn't the thing that would make you happy in life. Which goes back to the original question, "how would you go about in finding what you really want in life?"

Perhaps it's the constant struggle of trying to find what would make you happy that makes you happy, but that in and of itself sounds rather frustrating doesn't it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Which goes back to the old line

"Life is what happens while you're making other plans"

Perhaps the goal you have achieved is not what you truly wanted out of life in general, but it IS what you wanted out of life at that point in time.
Honestly, I'm not sure there is just one thing that could make a person completely satisfied with their lives forever.
Again, that means that it's a constant exploration for that one thing, which you may never find. That could be frustrating, but in the meantime, you should be HAPPY with what you've already got. Life is to be enjoyed, not analyzed!

Blondes do have more fun!

Perhaps it's the constant struggle of trying to find what would make you happy that makes you happy, but that in and of itself sounds rather frustrating doesn't it?

Everyone wants to live at the top of the mountain, but all the growth and happiness occur while you're climbing it.

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

---Albert Camus---

it sounds like you want to be self actualized.

Carl Rodgers has a lot to say about self actualization. But this is just a psych student talking here.

An easy way to help you start is to analyze yourself. What kind of things are you proud of? What do you not like about yourself? What makes you happy?who or what is important to you? What kind of people do you look up to?

Once you answer some of those question then ask yourself why you feel that way.

Lou!
I didn't know you were living in Houston?! :|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Go live in a hole in the desert for say about 8 months...

I didn't know you were living in Houston?!

Getting sick of it Jim? How're the house repairs coming? And just think there's still summer to look forward to!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Everyone wants to live at the top of the mountain, but all the growth and happiness occur while you're climbing it.

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

---Albert Camus---

Ok, that does it!

Who are you and what have you done with The Bytch?

I want answers and I want them now!

Pretty freaking deep for a vagabond, irresponsible skybum (and with an appropriate intellectual quote to boot!).

Keep this shit up, Lisa, and you're going to blow your cover.;)

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Do everthing.

Don't hurt others.

Life will follow.

PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

This is a really good thread. So many different approaches to the same target highlights how different people are. But there's respect for each of them. :)
Wendy W.

Easy. Lot of people chase lies, things other people told them they want. Reminds me of end of high school, everyone else taking SAT, experiencing angst about getting accepted to a college like beggars hoping for alms. Pick me! pick me! I'd already given up by then, ditched the program, started writing my own. Everyone else at that school struck me as sort of domesticated...following programs written for them by someone else...parents, guidance counsellors etc. Being good little seniors. I dropped out end of junior year, left the school, took plane ticket home started working, living, bottom of economic ladder, poverty. Stupidity. Was a very unhappy man. Learned a lot about hard work, pride, tech stuff. Biggest lesson from then: I learn what I want by watching what I do. I wanted interesting, I got it. Became an adventurer of sorts, widened the scope, then took a tandem. I'd always wanted to try that someday. Looked like the way out of a dreary endlessly repetitive existence, at least for a moment.... It was a taste of things beyond and things to come...if I wanted them bad enough to focus everything toward getting them. Took me another 6 or so years to make it real. It's been about a year now since AFF. I've been a happy man ever since. It taught me how to really USE things like absolute iron determination, strength of will. How bad do you -really- want it? Bad enough to face and hurl yourself headfirst into the fear every AFF student knows? Happiness in life is having just had a huge buffet of adventure learning and living, and when thats done, having an even bigger plate full of life awaiting you, and discovering the first one just whetted your appetite for more. I'm at 118 jumps and just put in for a C license. The trip isn't over, it's just begun. The mindblowing adventures of the past year have been only a prelude, the introduction. My bigger plate still to come includes night jumps, a D license, a riggers ticket, lots of freeflying, (finally getting a good sit/stand!!! I can't WAIT till I'm ready to go head-down, so much more to come...) And becoming a tandem master so I can travel around dz to dz and be paid to do what I love beyond all else....fly. Life these days is dangerous, bright and incredibly fast. The big one on the list is Birdman. I've dreamed it ten thousand times, I know EXACTLY what it will feel like except my imagination is much lower resolution than the experience WILL be. I think I'll be so happy my head will explode, you just can't contain that kind of happy. You all should have seen me a week or two ago getting my first rock solid sit with invaluable help from a friend. After landing I was bouncing off the walls, howling raving ecstatic doing the victory dance while looking up at where that just happened. Once upon a time I thought skydiving would make me happy. You know, I was right. Which means I'm even righter about the birdsuit, righter about spending my life doing this, righter about human flight. I know what I want, I HAVE it. And more of it is coming, and I already know its worth it, worth any price. Used to be scared I'd miss the boat, you know? become like so many friends, settle down into mindless endless deadend job and weekends spent at a bar somewhere, eternal mediocrity, wake up one day and realize I just wasted 30 years never got my shit together and now its far too late..... But I didn't miss the boat, and the pleasures to be found on the ride on that boat are worth dying for. If its worth dying for, its worth LIVING for, and I do. My plate is full. I'm still ravenous. Bring on the next course please, ah, there it is....DOOR!
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.