Jumperpaula

Broken Too

Fractured my heel.

Orthopedic told me today that my CT scan shows my heel looking like a cracked egg.

3 months, no weight. I didn't ask if I could jump , didn't seem like the right time.

Please send all condolences to Mikie, as I am driving him batty and Im not sure if he can make it through all the pain and suffering :)

I was jumping at an informal demo/fundraiser for a group of vintage aircraft owners. I overshot the landing area and landed on a concrete pad. -Hard

I'm really not finished beating myself up yet, so any help you could give me could maybe get it over quicker.

...I feel so stupid!

Paula

I'm really not finished beating myself up yet, so any help you could give me could maybe get it over quicker.

Did that help??? :D Just kidding... get well soon and don't beat yourself up... accidents happen to the best of us! :P

Katie
Get your PMS glass necklace here

Paula, that sucks. I did that once to both heels (not jumping), but not nearly as thoroughly as you did for your one! It does suck.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Can I sign your cast?

Something along the lines of 'heaven's above!';)
Huggs from Scottish Dave.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

OUCH....no need to beat yourself up though because everyone can make mistakes and some things you simply can't control. Heal quickly and take care.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

You can still visit the DZ, hang out with the folks who CAN still jump, maybe even pack for Antimike? Can't you? huh?:D

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

What is it like to not jump for 3 months?

5 years in the sport and this will be my first time to take a 3 month lay off.

Since Im very lucky to live in the south and enjoy year around jumping, some of you would consider a 3 month lay off as no more than your winter season.

Can someone outline the stages of withdrawl I may go through?

It's only been a week so far...

3 months... thats nothing, after about 4 is when the cravings start kicking and you look for plane tickets. 5 months the boss tells you to jump or find a new job since your attitude sucks.

The first 3 weeks are bad... and the last 3. Its a nice chance to revisit friends and catch up on personal things.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What is it like to not jump for 3 months?

5 years in the sport and this will be my first time to take a 3 month lay off.

Since Im very lucky to live in the south and enjoy year around jumping, some of you would consider a 3 month lay off as no more than your winter season.

Can someone outline the stages of withdrawl I may go through?

It's only been a week so far...

Well, first you'll start hearing little noises,but when you look, there's nothing there. Then the noises get louder, and there's still nothing there. At some point you will turn around and there will be a huge-ass lizard just sitting there looking at you. And it will grow. At the 12 week point it will be so big it will block the view of the sky, and you will see nothing but wrinkled lizard scrotum when you look up.

Nasty.

The plus side is walking with crutches develops great ab muscles, shoulders, and triceps.

I'm glad you decided to post the incident. I ruptured both my plantar fascia (fibrous tissue that connects your heel to the ball of your foot) several years ago, it is a long recovery process.

Hey, at least you've got this website while you are sitting with your foot elevated. I'm doing the same thing right now!

Here's wishing you a rapid recovery.

Oh, and ask your doctor about tramadol/ ultram. It's better than vicodan for long-term pain treatment.

JP

Hey Paula we're doing beach jumps at Galveston this weekend maybe you could just land in the soft sand:D or hey I know you could borrow a rig and just land in the water (don't want to get salt water on your own rig) B| Drink hard, heel fast!

Hey, does that leave only one 'JP' unbroken? That really does make him the (smart)JP!

I'm so glad my initials aren't JP, it seems to be an epidemic! :D

Hoping both the broken JP's heal quick!!!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I feel much better now, but you can keep spanking me if you want...:)

Im going to use the money I save on jump tickets to buy all the new gear I can manage.

Ever notice that EVERYONE wants to talk about skydiving when you can't jump? It's probably me, Im just noticing it more

It's been 1 month and I got a pleasant surprise yesterday - The cast came off!!

I'm in a removable cast and back to putting weight on the foot. I'm a little sore , but within a few days, I should be getting around much better. I can live with the removable cast and moving slow, it was the hard cast and crutches that really suck.

So, next question for those who have had a foot injury , I love to walk barefoot. I've been told that it may not be comfortable anymore. Is that true? Can I get a witness?

I cracked both heels many moons ago (no, not skydiving). No problems walking barefoot now, or that I can remember from then.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)