jceman

Weekend Numbers (or TLML's Wild Ride)

I know it's only Friday, but we're done for out weekend, so...

64 Godzillion Cars on I95:2:0

We were only planning on jumping today as I do NOT want to battle race day traffic on I95 tomorrow and Lynn works Sundays; the weather cooperated today and we looked forward to a good day at Deland.

We made one jump and as we are walking to the packing hangar, we see our good friend John. We haven't jumped with him for a while so it promised to put an even nicer glow on the day.

For this jump we decided that John and Lynn would exit in a sit train and I would follow closely. Once we got off the hill, they would break and we would take turns swapping docks.

Got all set and they exited in the train with my holding on lightly to the top of TLML's rig. Lynn didn't hold on to John tight enough, so the train fell apart at once.:( Oh well. John went a bit lower than Lynn, so I did a quick dock on her foot then dove down to John and docked on his knees. Lynn had gotten down to our level by then but had to back off a bit as she felt my burble. One more dock on her, and it was time to head for the barn.

I waved and tracked off and once I deployed, I saw john off to my right with his canopy coming out and then TLML went by off to my left but something didn't look right -- she was at line stretch, but there was little canopy to be seen and the bag was spinning madly. This is not good.

At that point, my canopy was fully open but starting a slow spin, so I quickly flew that out. I then saw below me a white canopy with no PC. "Hmm," I thought, adding 2 and 2 together and looked off to my left where I had seen TLML before, Sure enough there was a purple Safire all barberpoled up, making its solitary descent.

I headed off to keep an eye on the cutaway canopy but it kept flying at me, trying to dock with me! I told myself that this was ungood and backed way off and kept my eye on it. Once I was certain that it would fall on the grass on the airport, I headed for the landing area to see what had happened. John was following the (not so) free bag, btw.

I landed near TLML who was standing near the peas and asked her what had happened. "I had a malfunction" was her reply. "Well, duh? I said, I meant what sort of mal?".

She said that she deployed normally and got pulled into the saddle, but that the dang canopy just wasn't opening. She looked up once and saw fabric but not in its normal configuration and decided that it was not going to help her land safely so she cut it away. She had a bit of a problem pulling the silver handle for a couple seconds, but got a good grip on it and was rewarded by the sight of her Tempo 170. She flew it to a nice landing but was po'ed because she forgot to make allowance for the steeper approach of a 7-cell and came up short of the peas!

Her Pro-Track showed her deployment altitude as 900 feet and even though she pulled first, her CyPReS got scared. Someone asked if she had her handles and she said "No, I wasn't even thinking about them. I just wanted to save my life." We all agreed that this was a good sentiment.

Once all the gear was recovered (and yes, we did get both handles back -- thanks, Paxton), we couldn't make a definitive cause of the problem, but suspect that it lay with one of the locking stows -- someone had put a big tough red rubber band in place of a normal band; we feel that this held that side of the bag shut and started spin. Once it had spun itself silly, it was released and caused what spectators on the ground described as a "real ball of shit!"

Seeing as not only was her CyPRes scared, but it was born in June of 1999, it has been sent off to SSK for 4-year service and dual cutter replacement (it doesn't have the field-replaceable cutters).

Lynn said on the ride home that it was the most scared she has ever been on a skydive, but it was fine once her reserve was out.

So how did your weekend go?

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

My word! Glad that Lynn is ok.
My weekend hasnt started yet, and its hotter than the 4th of July, wait! It is the 4th of July! No wonder it's so damn hot! Only made 5 jumps today, but will get an early start tomorrow as the first lift is at 7 am.
((((TLML)))))B|

I had a reserve ride today too!

Not quite as high speed or spooky or low as TLML's though. (what does TLML stand for anyhow?)

Line twists and the risers pinned my head to my chest. (that part sucked the most, couldn't look up at the freakin' canopy!) Briefly tried kicking but wasn't getting anywhwere, so chop, flail, pull reserve!

Sally Hathaway saved my life. I love Sally. I must buy lots of Synchronicity shirts and a bottle! B|

We found all my stuff and life is good.

Happy 4th of July!

what does TLML stand for

The Lady of My Life.

Jack, give Lynn a great huge hug for me, and tell her "very well done". Whew.....

Ciels-
Michele

Actually, Rev Jim has the "correct" answer in his post, but I like your explanation as well, Michele.

Consider her hugged hugely. And thank you.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

1 massive sunburn: 0: 0

Got badly sunburned 4th of July at Summerfest Music Festival and wasn't able to jump this weekend - rigs hurt on sunburns. >:(
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Heather, are yo trying to catch up with Oren? :ph34r:

Headed out to Palm Beach XTreme on Friday and the weather was not being very cooperative. patches of clear in between T-storms and lightning. No thank you. Will be at the Hills next weekend. :)
__

My weekend is already over, but i did pull a 6-6-0 weekend. Along with the jumps, i got to help out with the ground crew on a 4th of July Demo jump, and i helped a buddy of mine comb fields looking for a missing freebag.
blue Skies,
=========Shaun ==========

0:6:2

Two jumps at Frontier in Western NY -
Four team jumps Saturday

Frst jump at Frontier Skydiving
And a first jumping in Western NY - My "home" state.

News- My 16 year old daughter Sarah is living with us full-time now, and is quickly learning how to pack. (She'll be practicing with my Racer all week-) Can't wait for her 18th birthday and her first jump.
I've been told by many folks at the DZ to lock her up - She's too cute to hanging around DZ trash like us!

Easy Does It

;):12:1

many awsome just with almost perfect conditions all weekend, ranging from RW to Freefly to Rafts to even my frist birdman...thanks Lou Diamond for the training and to Jari for his suits and the 9-way flock.

Beer was paid for the birdman, what an awsome ride!!
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

1 stubbed toe:4:1

Got my new gear! Put three jumps on it Friday... Beer is well and truly owed; I'd have paid it already but with the holiday screwing up schedules... I'll bring it with me next trip to the DZ though, mustn't anger the beer gods.

Got 1 H&P done today, and screwed up the landing just bad enough to scare me and remind me that I need to take it reeeal easy when landing towards the buildings at 'Snore. Stubbed my toe and got a nice bruise to remind me to be more careful. Two feet lower and I'd have had a cast for my trouble. :o

Good weekend though, and a cheap lesson learned well. Next weekend: Canopy class! B|
7CP#1 | BTR#2 | Payaso en fuego Rodriguez
"I want hot chicks in my boobies!"- McBeth

nada:11:2

11 jumps. It's great to officially be ungrounded. Spent the weekend at SDC doing awesome FF jumps. I did 2 jumps with Lolie helping her learn to sitfly. Got a kisspass with Slowfaller, he really needs a new name...that boy is not slow!! Opie took me on a HD jump. I guess i owe beer for my first time jumping with a skysurfer. That was totally awesome. I also owe beer for first time jumping my hot new FF suit. I'll post pics when i get some. Firefly did an awesome job on my totally girly suit!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

0:7:0

I might owe beer, I'm not really sure (Don't know if you owe beer? Case of beer!). 1 jump playing tag, 5 with Bump and Grind, and a hop 'n pop bumping end cells. Could've had a dock or two on that last one, too.

I'm wiped. Next weekend is going to be pretty lean, probably practice jumps only, so that I can afford the MWSL meet in two weeks.

1:0:0
Torn rotator cuff & Cortizone injection on 7-5 (12 noon)did EXATLY=0 (still).B|
My N.Y. state motto:" don't worry, it's only a FLESH wound" ;)

2:0:3

2 10 minute sessions in the tunnel.
0 jumps
3 firsts:
1. Met my first off home dz, dz.commer: skydiverbrian. Very cool person and beer was bought.
2. 1st time I accomplished tunnel time without an injury.:)3. First time I heard skymama's voice via Brian's cell phone. I don't know who owes beer for that, Skymama or me. BTW, she sounds sexy on the phone.:P

Chris

One serious case of the hives, no jumps, no humps.

Agggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Someone make the itching stop! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciels - very itchy ones -
M

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

0:32:0

Jumped my ass off this holiday boogie and got my Birdman-Instructor rating from Jari himself:D. Converted 4 skydivers into the Birdman flock, 3 of which are female(lets hear it for the birdwomen). Several birdman suits were purchased and Pantz were handed out. Mine look most SMACK BOOTY;) Partied like a VIKING with sky:ph34r:one and friends. The DZ.com gang was in force and names and faces were matched up and new friends made. Overall it was a blast for the last few days.:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Heather, are yo trying to catch up with Oren?

No, no catching up, bad! Don't want to be like Oren! (at least I was really close to my reserve due date this time though) ;)

My numbers:

1 retarded mal:10:0

So yeah...one reserve ride, on Friday, and a bunch of other jumps, including a sweet 16 point 6 way and some really fun and rockin' 4-way today. (scared silly sexy turtles!)

A very kickass weekend....I am tired and sunburned and happy. :)
I hope everyone had a great weekend too!