airann

[:)] New skills / What you would like to learn how to do...

(not particuarly skydiving things)

Question- If you wanted to learn something new? What would it be?

I want to learn how to weld.

Id like to start out with small things. Then get bigger, who knows, I am creative.

Can you weld coat hangers together? I have been shaping them like butterflies to stick around in my tropical paradise out there. I paid some $15 for the one I have. Maybe some ladybugs. A fish near the pool. As a bigger project. some kind of cool yard light to replace the boring one everyone has. God forbid the homeowners association (gastapo) Blah, Blah,Blah...

I would like to learn to weld. I believe I saw a small unit at some hardwear store? Price??
Maybe a pawn shop.

:)

~AirAnn~

Can you weld coat hangers together?

Think silver solder... that would work, and could be done without a lot of specialized equipment, because it doesn't take a lot of heat...

I want to learn to weld too! The cool thing is, I can take some very affordable classe at the local community college in the fall, and actually do it!

I'd sign up in heartbeat if there were hot skydiving chicks in the class! ;)

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Welding is simple,anyone can do it.

Me? I want to learn how to really do carpentry. As of now, I can do a lot of things, but I can't make nice furniture and stuff like that. I think it'd be a lot of fun to really learn how to do that.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's not too diffucult to learn to weld. There are alot of people that can weld but not very many that can do a good job of it. Its something that takes a lot of practise to get good at. I took welding at a vocational school in High school. Thought I was going to be a welder, ended up as a Network Admin.
I did like welding, just not as much as computers.

hmm...

Besides skydiving ;) I think that it would be cool to play piano. I am transfixed by piano in music and I think that it would be cool to play.

Maybe after I get good at skydiving I will give it a shot, but for now I am going to concentrate on one thing :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I would like to learn to draw. Not even draw big oil paintings, just doodle reasonably well. I've never been able to draw.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

There are probably a few zillion things that I would like to learn how to do: The following is a short list (I hope) with a brief explanation of why:

I Would Like To Learn How To.....

1. .......Uncork A Bottle Of Wine Without Nailing Myself In The Head When The Cork Finally Gives.
NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING is more uncool or embarrassing when trying to impress the opposite sex with your gracefulness, or lack thereof, only to wind up with a black eye and wine on the carpet.

2. .......Play The Piano.
Everyone either a) already knows how to play the guitar or b) wants to know how to play the guitar. Nothing against the guitar, it's just that I have this memory of walking into a bar once with a buddy and he started playing the piano that was there. Very impressive. I had no idea he knew how to play the piano. The piano is just a cool instrument in my book.

3. .......Not Wash Red Things With White Socks.
Seems like after 28 years I would learn....but as sure as the sun will rise tomorrow, if I buy a new red shirt it WILL wind up in the washer with some white socks. And as sure as the sun will set tomorrow, I will run out of socks and be forced to wear the splotchy pink pair produced by the ill fated wash load out in public someday!

4. .......Speak French.
I know with all this anti-French stuff going on it may not be the popular choice, but I still want to learn how to speak it. Tout est bleu!

5. .......Tell When Something is Too Hot To Eat.
Temperature wise I mean. Doesn't it suck to take a bite of something only to have it burn the crap out of your tongue and tastebuds making it virtually impossible for you to taste, much less enjoy, the rest of your meal? And that whole trying to roll it to the other side of your mouth thing never works. It only aids the scorching hot food in burning the entire surface of your tongue and possibly some of the opposite cheek. It also makes you look really silly. We all have the same expression when we do it, it's called the "O Face" and should be reserved for the bedroom and never shown in public. I really hate that.

6. ........Express Myself Better.
Sometimes I find myself at a loss for words. I want to expand my vocabulary so that I can be more descriptive and detailed when trying to convey a feeling or image.

7. .......Refer to Number 6.
See....ran outta words. Hope I didn't ramble too much.

See you guys around!

----------------------------
"Insert witty quote here."

Guitar for me, as well. Flamenco, classical, 12 string.

I wonder can I learn this from a book and a guitar, or should I think about lessons?

(And darn, but there's that wallet thing to think about, too...)

wear the splotchy pink pair produced by the ill fated wash load

Do you, ah, wear anything else pink, perhaps, that it could, well, match with? ;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I'd actually like to learn a couple of things:

1) Learn how to build guitars. I can play them but I'd love to be an amateur luthier. I think that'd be awesome. A special area of carpentry. Wow!

2) Learn the piano. What a beautiful instrument, and so much harder than the guitar. I taught myself guitar, but piano? Dang, I just can't tickle the ivories like I'd like to.

3) Learn the art of funadamental organization. I'm a mess..

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I would love to learn:

to play the drums really, really well. I have been wanting to learn for about 15 years now. I will probably pursue this after I have a few more hundred skydives because it's hard to have 2 new hobbies that you are passionate about.

to speak at least two more languages ...Italian and French first. These 2 would be the easiest for me to learn first as I already speak Spanish fluently.

to dance many different types of dance. I am a natural at dance, but I never do it. I would LOVE to have a dance partner to learn how to do some bad-ass swing with. Salsa dancing is easy, but I have no one to dance with. If I had a better body, I would take ballet classes. I am just too self-consious about my thighs in leotard and tights.

to weld both artwork and furniture. I remember talking to my best friend about taking a welding course with her at my old art college when she was still alive. She passed away 5 years ago. I still think about her when I think about taking that class.

to learn to take better care of my body. I need to sleep more, eat less/better, relax and know when to stop pushing my body sometimes.

to learn to be a better person, in general...more loving and caring to others.

Skydiving was NOT something that I had always wanted to do. I did my first jump (AFF1), 2 weeks after being explained what it was like and deciding to try it. It's funny how things work out sometimes.

I'm in the process of learnign to restore vintage Airstream travel trailers. I hope to soon purchase one and completley rebuild the thing (pluming, electricity, interior, exterior). So yeah thats what I want just about more then anythign right now.

.:skip

"Can you weld coat hangers together?"
Yes, but you probably want to use an old fashioned oxy acetylene set.
There should be all sorts of evening classes, check locally.

Hey how about his, next time I'm over your way, I'll teach you to weld, you can teach me to surf...deal?
:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I would like to learn how to get a job with few hours, that pays six figures, has low responsability, and is fun. Then i'd like to learn how to speak a couple lagauges.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I would love to take up high-diving (you know, diving from a board/plank into a swimmingpool).

Being able to do 2 flips/corks and who knows what when jumping from a diving board would kick ass...I can manage a single frontflip of backflip (with the occasional landing on my back:) but having real diving skills would kick ass.

One of the girls at my DZ used to do this (next to trampoline jumping), and she can pull of style-shit at subterminal that I can only dream off :)
She's only been doing freeftyle for about a year, and yet, she already became 1st in the dutch nationals last year...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

That's got me thinking Airann...
There is so many things that I'd love to learn!
I'd love to learn another language.
I'd love to learn how to play piano a little better.
I'd love to learn how to belly dance
I'd love to learn how to earn HUGE MONEY:D

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after

I'd like to learn to swoop my canopy well, and swoop to a formation well, and I'd like to learn to track well, and maybe remember some points on a 4 way, and some big stuff too like the way the solar system works - and some Crew, 3d stuff... and freeflying, on my head and on my feet, and some birdman - just basic stuff - not base or anything. I'd like to teach better and have happier and safer students.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

hmmm, odd that there are so many similarities with potential hobbies here!

i'd also like to learn welding (will probably take a class at community college next winter), drums (might try a lesson or two to see if i have an apptitude) cabinet making (already finished a couple of small projects, not bad work considering the time and tools i had).
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

A big part of my job is welding-

It's a matter of getting some instruction then lots of practice.

Welding something like coat hangers could be tricky, not for the size but the metalugy is usually on the poor side, so (as mentioned earlier) something like that would be better off brazed or soldered (described as "gluing" operations since the metal isn't actually fused.)

There are several different basic types of welding, and lots of cool things you can do with different metals. It really offers alot to your creative side! I seldom get artistic, but just building what I need too excerises my creativity muscle pretty good.

I would look at some of the local trade/technical schools for evening classes, and maybe try to find a local welding shop that may let you practice in exchange for some work or whatever down the road. It's a skill that can earn you a pretty decent paycheck if you're good, particularly if have a knack for tricky stuff like aluminum and cast iron.

Myself, I'd like to learn to land my canopy a bit more accurately. I can land where I want to, but not dead-nuts-on yet. And I'd like to get into machining work.

Easy Does It