Daizey

Please Be Careful

I’m sorry this is so long, but please read it.

As I was getting ready for work tonight, I got a call from some of my friends asking if I wanted to go out. It sounded like soo much fun-one of the last chances to have some fun before finals week and all of us leaving to go home. I was so tempted to go-anyone who was talking to me at the time saw how mad I was cause I had to work. “Just call into work-they’ll be fine” But I didn’t

Tonight I was working at a grocery store nearby. I work as a cashier, and one of the fun things to do while I am bored is to stare out into the busy parking lot and street. Right now its snow covered so its even more amusing since I get to watch people slip and slide while carrying their groceries out. Tonight I glanced out and noticed my friends who I was suppose to go out with.

It got busy and I suddenly forgot about them-until they came through my line. Someone already smelled of alcohol and together they were buying even more. One of the girls I knew told me they were no longer going out. So I wasn't missing much. They were, as she said “doing the responsible thing” and staying on campus and partying-that way they wouldn’t have to worry about driving later and i could easily join them when i got off of work. I laughed as she paid-then noticed one of the girls in the back, one who I didn’t know very well, who had a beer in her hand. I politely told her she couldn’t drink in the store. She was already pretty drunk-and was definitely making a fool of herself. She got kinda mad at me, then laughed it off and put it in her coat. The girls gathered everything and left.

Again bored, I watched my friends make their way through the slippery parking lot-the one who had been drinking in the store was stumbling all over the place as she was sprinting through the lot. Then, all of a sudden she slipped. The car coming towards her hit its breaks and skidded into an empty spot- thankfully missing her. The girl got up brshed off the snow, laughed and got into the car.

How ANYONE figured she could drive one of the 2 cars they brought was beyond me. But she got into the drivers seat. I got a customer and I told them to hold on and ran over to one of the supervisors-I tell them she has been drinking-A LOT and tell them to see if they can stop the car. But by the time they got to the door it was too late.

The next few seconds went by soo fast. One minute she was in the parking spot, the next she was out of the car. Glass was everywhere. People were running.... The girl had gone to back out of the spot. A woman carrying a small baby was walking up towards the store. The girl in the car must have hit the gas pretty hard cause she flew out of that spot, hitting the woman, and a car behind her. Then whether she switched it into drive or not I am not sure, but she hit the curb and then the tree at the end of one of the spots in front of her pretty hard. Not wearing her seatbelt caused her and 1 other to be thrown from the car.

The next few minutes are all a blur. Paramedics come, people go running. All I remember is my customer had the nerve to yell at me that he was in a hurry and needed to be checked out. Not sure what I said back-but knowing me in that type of situation, I’m sure it wasn’t nice.

Four people lost their lives tonight-and I watched every second of it. One had only experienced 4 months of its life, while 2 others only 22 years and another 28 years. All because a bunch of college kids wanted to have some fun. I had to watch 4 people die because one couldn’t wait just a little longer to start in on her fun. Her “responsible” fun as they had called it earlier. Two people especially did not deserve to die-they hadn't one drink or even a clue as to what was going on. They were just starting their lives-one as a person, and one as a new mother. Because of these girls, many families are not going to be able to have a happy holiday. 6 other girls will be haunted by the memories of being at that scene. Three of them are in critical condition in the hospital.

I’m sorry this post is so long but the purpose behind it is important. Thankfully I decided not to go out tonight or I coulda been one of those girls. Half of them had no idea she was drunk until they got to the store-and the plan was not for her to drive. I'm not sure what happened, but becuase of their choices I had to watch 4 people die tonight and there was NOTHING I could do about it. I will never forget this night. Please THINK before you drink. I know most people here are older and may think they are wiser than a bunch of college kids, but everyone makes a mistake or two-please make sure your mistakes don’t turn out to be fatal. Be careful not only this holiday, but all the time. Remember-you are not the only one you are hurting.

*daizey*

Daizey, I'm so sorry you had to experience this tonight. I really am. This post was very sobering and no pun is intended here. What a terrible and senseless loss of life.

Can I just say that I'm proud of you for trying to do the right thing tonight for everyone. You can't make people make the right decisions, but you can choose not to be a part of the wrong ones.

{{{VIBES}}}} to you for having to experience something so traumatic. And lesson noted, thanks.
Missy
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Oh god. Kristi, I'm so sorry you had to experience this.My thoughts are with those affected by such a senseless tragedy that could have easily been avoided. I'm proud of you for trying to do the right thing the whole way through and that you are safe.You know how to get in touch w/me if you need someone.*hugs and vibes*

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Thank you for posting this, too bad more people won't be able to see it. Ever consider sending this to the editorial page of a local newspaper or the college paper? I am so sorry you had to witness the event and my heart and prayers go out to all involved.

J

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

If that was directed at me in any sort of way I just want to let you know that in no way did my selling alcohol have to do with this incident whatsoever. The girl was drunk before she came in-and i didn't even notice her until after the sale was done. The girls were over 21 and they were plannin on going back to there room to drink

*daizey*

Can we please not get into logistics and service refusal elsewhere? She is a close member of our family and has just experienced something very tragic and emotionally unstabling.Give it a rest until she can cope without all the vultures looking for an incident to harp on.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Daizey,

I am sorry to hear of the loss you witnessed. You can only thank providence that you did not follow that fork in the paths of your life. Yes you will remember this for a very long time, you always will. Its good to share this story with us to help your own healing. Perhaps you might share it with your campus newspaper as well. Maybe... just maybe you might help some other young person.... someone who has not yet realized their mortality... to pause for just a second... when they too are faced with being responsible... or being irresponsible and also ending up in a situation that comes to far too many of the innocent.

If I could find the right thing to say, I would, but I suppose someone else is going to have to fill in the blank....

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Daizey, darling, how hard it must be for you.

Rest secure knowing that you did everything you could do, and that you made the right decisions.

I've heard your message. I don't drink and drive, and the above is only one of the reasons that decision was made many years ago.

Love you, girl. It's hard, but you did all that you could; we're here for you. Let us know what you need. And in the mean time, I am sending you a whole lot of vibes, and lots of hugs, and some serious prayers your way.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Daizey,

I am so sorry that you had to see that! I don't even know how to express the void that I feel in the pit of my stomach or the overwhelming emotion that I feel when I try to put myself in your place. I am speachless!

<><> <>

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

Oh My Goodness ... that's absolutely horrible. No one should ever have to endure something like this. Wow, I'm finding words hard to come by right now & that's unusual for me. SO many things I wanna say, so many of them no doubt have been said already or are painfully obvious.
I'm sorry you had to witness such an event & it pains me as a mother of a 4 yr old girl (Emily) & a 2 yr old boy (Joshua) that something like this had to happen to a baby & a mommy as well as 2 other people who were also so young. WOW! That's devastating. But I do know that everything happens for a reason & something good will become of this ... I pray that those things will manifest themselves quickly for the benefit of you & the other survivors.
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS & KISSES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Oh Kirsti, my sweet friend, you have moved me to tears once again. I am so very, very sorry that someone as loving as you had to experience this horrible tragedy tonight. I have tears streaming down my face because I was just in the process of PMing answers about my childhood to your last PM to me. It seems so irrelevant now.

Life is so fragile. If not given its due respect, it can be taken away in an instant. My best friend died in an unexplained car accident on her way to work one morning just over 5 years ago. I, too, understand how death can sneak up like a sudden flash of light and change everything...forevermore.

It is OK to mourn your loss. You are probably in shock right about now. Please take comfort in your loved ones. I will make myself available to you, too, Kristi, as you have been available for me. Do not ever hesitate to PM me or call me anytime. Please know that I care for you a great deal and that I admire you so very much.

As always, you did all the right things tonight, Kristi. You are alive. You are also strong and wise beyond your years, so I know that you will handle the emotional ramifications of this night well. It will take some time, but I know that you will be OK.
Love you, ROSA

Kristi you already know you have my love and support and the biggest warmest hug i can muster. Love ya call me if you need to talk.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

<------ :([:/]>:( (that pretty much sums up how i feel about this kind of thing.... unhappy, that then turns to anger...... a choice that has so much more riding on it than a dui...

kristi, just wondering how long of a distance wouldyou say it was between the impacts... trying to get a picture or the scene inmy head to visualize the speed that could of been ammased between impacts..... besides the pedestrans wouldn't think the speed in a grocery store parking lot could be that great to cause that many injuries... unless this is a BIG grocery store.. then never mind.... you can get up to like 80 in thouse things...

Thank you everyone for everything. The love, support, phone calls, IM's and pm's has been amazing. I'm so lucky to have you all!

Its definitely going to be a tough time and a tough thing to get over. But I know I have lots of people i can turn to.

Writing this post served 2 major purposes. One was that i was able to sit downa and write it all out-it helped me feel so much better. This post was the first time i discussed the entire incident with anyone who meant anythign to me at all.

The second was for people to read it and think about the incident. I wanted people to read it and realize everything that happened. Its shocking, and a real eye opener. I want to especially thank the people who passed it along to others. I received a few pm's and pphone calls in which the people mentioned they passed it along. Thank you

Some people have asked me a few questons about what ahppened. To be perfectly honest, the more and more time that passes, the blurrier things get. But i can try to answer a little.

-The girl who was driving was not sold any alcohol. Nor was she present when the other girls, who were all of age bought the alcohol. I believe she was looking at the mgazine rack on the otherside of the register and she joined the group shortly after. Surveillance camera shows she was not nearby nor did she purchase the alcohol or pick up any of it.
-The girls who were injured were all in that one car. The girls in the other car were not injured.
-Im not sure of the speed they were going when either backing up or driving forward.-all of that just went by so fast, i really can't tell you. This all happened with in a fairly small contained area though.

*daizey*

I only just got my ISP back online and saw this...

Kristi, you have got my number and every other way known to mankind to contact me. Use them as often a you need to anytime you need to. I know this comes late, but know it is sincere.

I am deeply sorry this happened... vibes not only to you, but to those affected whom I do not know.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

May God have mercy on the next person I see trying to drive under the influence of anything... If one of them hurts someone in my family again.... >:(

Yeah, it's fine, we'll walk down the line. Leave our rain, a cold trade for warm sunshine
You my friend, I will defend... and if we change, well, I love you anyway