kingbunky

best concert ever?

"The Clash" 1982 at the Majestic in San Antonio

Damn, I'm jealous, I never got to see them.

Mine: Little Feat at some old theatre in DC around 1984 or so . From beginning to end, every person stood up and boogied to every song, best vibe ever.

U2 comes in at a close 2nd.

and rounding out the top 3: BR-549 at Roberts boots in Nashville. They played from 9:00 until 3:00 for tips. It was about 100 degrees in there, and everybody way sweatin' and shakin' ass. I know, I know...WTF is BR-549? They are The Mother Of All Hillbilly Bands

My fav concert from my teenage years would have to be the US Festival '83. 13 years old and seeing Motley Crue, Ozzy, Scorps, Judas Priest, Van Halen and others, along with 400,000 other fans. I still remember David Lee Roth being so wasted, he forgot half the words to their songs. If anyone owns the double LP World Wide Live by the Scorps, the inside layout is a pic from this concert.

Favorite from my adult years would probably be the B-52's at SunFest in West Palm Beach a few years back. Not that I'm a big fan, but what a great time. It seemed like my bud and I were the only guys there, surrounded by a few thousand beautiful women. And to top it off, it seemed like we danced with every one of them. I'll never forget that night!

Problems just be opportunities in der workin' clothes.

Well, I've seen some really good ones, like Eagles and Billy Joel (not with Elton, seen him on his own too though), but my favorite must be Matchbox 20 playing in a standing room only place that holds maybe 2000 people tops. Very intimate, and just an amazing show.

I'm walking a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Click Here for more information!

Bowie / Duran Duran / Georgia Satellites circa 1987 ... the Stadium tour.

Just out of H.S. and that was "the" music back then" for those old enough to remember. Mid-summer in Winnipeg was hot, the field was rush seating and me and a few friends were right there right up front. ISTR the gates opened about 2 PM ....STAMPEDE!!! .... and then we sat...and sat....and sat... listening to the PA warm us ups as we fried in the hot afternoon sun in our "new" black T shirts. The beverage run was the shits when it was your "turn" as it took about 1/2 hout to get thre and back from the front. Other substances floated freely around - the "other" bad part about going for the liquid refreshments [:/](who, me?):).

The Georgia Satellites were pretty much the warmup to the warmup but a good hard edged Southern guitar rock sound is never THAT bad - even if the house let them play with pretty much basement grade PA equipment and mixing. Duran Duran were at the tail end of their careers (as was my faaaavorite of the 80's genre - the Big Hair Band) but there were enough secondary school memories of the set to make it almost worth a stand-alone concert. The sound was marginally better.

Bowie's Glass Spider tour did it for me. As much as I enjoyed ALL the previous releases, most of it, save Let's Dance, predated my record buying days. Adrain Belew plays a mean axe, man...live shows rule! The visuals from 20 feet off the stage were, literally, larger than life and the sound was incredible. Undistorted at concert time, my ears rang for three days straight after!

Being at the front of the Crushing Crowd, to ease my aching feet I "hopped" up and quite literally did not touch the ground for 4 ( or was it 5) songs. I understand how some people get killed in such mobs. Then there was this dude with a camera who elbowed his way to the fromt (VERY rudely) and the Bikers saw this. I've NEVER sen anybody plucked from a crowd by their hair before :o - but by the time this dude had been hauled over the railing I'm sure he wished he'd bought a bigger lens and a seat on the sidelines.

I've seen both Rolling Stones tours since then and neither had the energy of that all-day "rock" -a-thon. Floyd was a different thing altogether, and I skippd Tina Turner. Indoor arena shows just don't compare... nor could anything truly compare to a live gig in a small, smoky jazz/blues club. But, as so few can pull a stadium crowd in Canada these days, the 87 experience may forever remain THE "concert" for me.

Dave

"87 and cry" (if you know, you know)

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

The best concert was Eric Clapton nothin' but the Blues tour. I think it wa 94'. Jimmy Vaugn opened for him. Then Eric Clapton played probably 30 different guitars throughout the night. I am very partial to blues, so this was an amazing concert.

2nd Best Joe Cocker's tour in 1995. He played the best of his oldies, and all the tacks from his new disc I loved it, great energy, and this guy played Woodstock 69'.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

Kind of a toss up between Stevie Ray Vaughn & Joe Cocker in Mountain View, or Lynard Skynard, Santana, Frampton, Outlaws in the 70's in Oakland (first concert). Been to a crapload of big name concerts but cant really say they were the best being as I dont really remember.

dropdeded
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Here in Puerto Rico, ...Ziggy Marley, Madonna (a couple of years ago), and a Mexican rock band called: "Maná". They rock! This is a good show always.

I want to add "Best Show of the year" (that I`ve been to): Blue Man Group, in Boston, MA.
A very creative and artistic show.
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

The best live shows I've ever seen have been Catherine Wheel. I've seen them 5 or 6 times and their sound has blown away every other band I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot of good bans :D). Aside from The Cure, Catherine Wheel is the only band that has every really "moved" me live.

clapton is probably the best guitar player of all time.i saw him in memphis a couple of years ago.aerosmith is good too.

Not to hijack the thread, but I had the chance to see Buddy Guy, the man who Clapton himself described as "the greatest guitar player alive", and he was right. IMHO, only SRV and Hendrix had him beat.

Seger in Detroit (mid-70s).
Skynyrd in Charlotte (late 80s)
Pat Travers / Aerosmith in Greensboro (honestly can't remember.....drug-induced haze probable culprit). B|

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Latest !
Indigo Girl in Mahattan, Neil young (my favorite)
AEROSMITH of course (one of my best group)
Dylan, eagles, fleetwood mac .
I am a classy rock borned, educated one, but some xtravaganda ones are in my book too !
Happy 21th Century !
And yes JL Jones, Clapton, Beck, Stones are great !!!no more comments :(