tunaplanet

Greatest War Movie

I voted for Apocalypse Now, probably because I actually saw it on the big screen when I was a teenager. It's affect on me was huge.

One movie you may have overlooked is Schindler's List. There may not have been many fight scenes in it, but it would probably be 2nd. on my list of movies about war.

From Here To Eternity is another great war time flick that was based in Pearl Harbor. Fantastic movie.

Okay so I gotta point this out cuz I'm proud of it. B| The movie Gods and Generals, a reletively new 4 hour long Civil War flick. Decent movie, way too damn long, but I FOUND A F*CKUP IN IT!!! ;)

A friend of mine and I noticed this in the movie theater. In the last battle scene (the big one, I think Gettysburg?), a guy runs across the field amongst the soldiers wearing jeans, t shirt, and a red backwards ballcap. We look at each other saying "did you see that?" and then we look back to the screen and low and behold, THERE HE IS AGAIN!! B| They must not have had the time (or funds) to shoot it again. ;)

BTW, don't see this movie, you'd have a better time rearranging your fridge. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Shindlers List was the one that was at the tip of my tongue as I read the poll title. Right after that with out reading the choices was Saving Private Ryan. Then I thought of A Bridge on the River Kwai...

All the above leave a lasting impact, not just visually, but emotionally too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I got to agree on "Bridges of Toko-Ri." I love the final line: "Where do we get such men?"

Probably natural that the more recent movies would get the most votes, but I say "the Dirty Dozen." It's one of the all time great "guy" movies. ...and it's okay to cry when Jim Brown gets killed.

A few other classics not mentioned:

Guns of Navarone

Battleground

Pork Chop Hill

Sergeant York

Merrill's Marauders (probably one of the least remembered but most realistic)

...and of course the one with the all time best blooper: "The Green Berets" where John Wayne walks along the beach with the little Vietnamese kid while the sun sinks slowly .... in the East

CDR

"Heartbreak Ridge " Yes I enjoy that movie.
Kennedy Said "I wish that someone would make a great movie about Carlos Hathcock" I found out who that is just this week talking to Bartsdaddy. Otherwise I would have not known who the heck you were talking about. But Yes the man deserves a movie made about him. The education I get on this web site amazes me. I voted for FMJ. Somebody said they found the war part of the movie confusing. I did not think it was confusing at all, I thought it was just one mans view, because I'm certain things happend that were way worse than what the movie showed. It is kind of just from Jokers perspective. I also wanted to vote for Saving Private Ryan too, but you can't vote for more than one. I cried my eyes out watching that movie. I thought it was well done.-Caress
I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

All servicemen are heros in my book...combat men/women or not. However, in my humble opinion, Carlos Hathcock is one of the greatest and heroric servicemen of all-time. Not to mention he was one of the nicest men you would have ever met. He would have received the MOH if he wouldn't have been so outspoken about not wanting any medal what-so-ever.

If you're not familiar with what he did, the tractor him and others were riding on in Vietnam hit a mine and engulfed the tractor in flames. Hathcock pulled 7 men one at a time off the vehicle to safety...each time going back into the flames to grab another marine. By the time he dragged the last man to safety, the skin on his arms hung down like tar. When it was all said and done, he suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns over more than 40% of his body. He ended up having 13 skin grafts.

Not to take ANYTHING away from ANY of the heroric acts many of our brave men and women have exhibited, but this in my opinion ranks up there as the most heroric act I have ever heard/seen.

Not only that, but he was hands down the greatest sniper that ever lived. I could go on for hours about the extrordinary things he did as a sniper in vietnam.

Definitly read his book if you haven't already. It's called, 'Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills'

Forty-two

Someone once advised me to -not- watch "Saving Private Ryan". They believed I wouldn't be able to handle it.

What is your take on that? Are there people who would actually -not- benefit from seeing it?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

In Harm's Way, with the Duke. Best War movie ever.
Edit to Add: Full Metal Jacket comes in a close second, if only for the fact that Gunney is so farking awesome in that movie.

You had best UNFUCK yourself or it will rip off your head and shit down your neck!!!

Ermey is probably the coolest m-f er I've ever seen.

Roger that. Gives me chills just reading the lyrics.

I skipped to that scene three times. That's just something else.

"smell like an ambush to you?"
"they get close enough to kill us we'll be close enough to kill them"

"maybe you ought to get yourself that M-16"
"time comes I need one sir there'll be plenty of em lyin on the ground"
"let's go do what we came here to do"
"yes sir"

Lay me doun
in the col, col groun

where afore
many men have gone

lay me doun
in the col, col groun

where afore
many men have gone

when they come
I'll stan mah groun

stan mah groun
I'll nay be afraid

Damn, if that doesn't make you blood run cold or hot, nothing will.

Off to our version of happy hour. G'night ya'll, I know mine will be.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

There are perhaps some people too sheltered and innocent that they never need be exposed to what is shown in the movie.

I was shocked and not just using the word for effect at the first 30 minutes of the film. I was also horrified to see a mother take her -very- young (5? 7? year old) child to the film. What was she thinking?

Let me refine my previous recommendation.

Until the age of 16, no one should see it.
At the at of 16, all males should be forced to watch it with their eyelids pulled open so they can't blink.
All females entering the service should also be forced to watch it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Definitly read his book if you haven't already. It's called, 'Marine Sniper 93 Confirmed Kills'

Thanks. I just found my paperback copy. I must take some kind of shooter to think of making the M-2 a sniping weapon, and to be succesful [confirmed] out past 2500 yards.

And the chapter about him versus an entire NV platoon would have been funny if it wasn't real.

One of many, many sites honoring the White Feather, Long ra'ng.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

Damn addicts. :P We've got enough for a bona-fide meeting around here...time for some intervention. B|

Now, I thought Saving Private Ryan and Courage Under Fire were incredible movies. And I've got to go with WrongWay on Gods and Generals...excellent movie. Should definitely be on the list. Oh, and I hear Das Boot and Thin Red Line were also very well done - historically accurate.

Does Pearl Harbour really belong on this list? I mean, I never saw it, but from all the romantic hype, i get the urge to start singing, "one of these things is not like the other". ;)(sesame street, anyone?)
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

"Pearl Harbor" was Disney's answer to "Titanic".

A romantic film based on a real event.

Whereas "Titanic" was extremely accurate (fanatically accurate) in the background, "Pearl Harbor" was only vaguely accurate.

Whereas "Titanic" had very careful attention to background details, "Pearl Harbor" was laughingly bad in its lack of attention to background detail.

For instance, I was particularly amused that all DC-3s in "Pearl Harbor" had the same tail numbers and floater bars.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

OK, this has gotten scary. First I agreed with kallend, then wmw999, and now quade. I have no arch-nemesis left. :((tear)

Anyway, everyone should sit down and watch the movie once, at least. First off, it is a masterpiece. Second, the permanent mark it leaves on you will forever chagne the way you feel about soldiers sailors and marines, and what we ask them to do. And third, it hopefully will encourage us not to ask them to do it when we might otherwise have done so.

ltdiver, I don't know you (to my great sadness), but I would encourage anyone to see it. Over age 15 of course.
witty subliminal message
1*