aero04

name that gadget!!

Paint a picture of Marvin the Martian on it and call it the Illudium PU-38 Space Modulator

Know something ironic? The fuel grain was originally called Illudium Q-36 as a joke. Unfortunately, nobody got it. So we canned it.:D

Super Thrust Producer

Yeti Penguin Slapper

Intrinsic Conceptual Booster Mechanism

Basic [O] Movement Bottle
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

the flux capacitor

On a side note, something I've helped design at work (Lockheed Martin), which I can't describe due to confidential nature, can *literally* be called a flux capacitor because of its design. Kinda funny...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I can't describe due to confidential nature..........................a flux capacitor because of its design.

:D:D good thing you didn't tell us!!!!:o;):D
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

What type of rocket is that? Liquid fueled? What's it burn?

It is a hybrid rocket engine. The solid fuel is ABS plastic encased by a tube of plexiglass. The oxidizer is nitrous oxide. Should give us around 300-350 pounds of thrust.

Awesome. I was curious because I worked on a hybrid rocket project in college. We built a tiny one that used a "whippit" nitrous cartridge for the oxydizer. We tried a few different fuels...acrylic, paper, and rubber. We eventually mixed our own rubber (HTPB rubber or something like that), adding some stuff to make it burn hotter (carbon black and powdered aluminum). We started work on a larger version that would produce 100 lbs of thrust for a minute I think, using medical grade nitrous. But we never ended up building the thing.

Edit: A couple videos of our test firings of the little one:

Paper fuel test

HTPB Rubber fuel test

Dave

Actually when we started the project we had a long talk with our advisor about "extracurricular use" of the whippits. They were well aware of what they could be used for. It was pretty funny though because originally the university was going to fund our whippit purchase, but we looked for the best price we could find anyway. They were pretty expensive at kitchen supply stores (they're used for making whipped cream), but they were cheap as hell at a drug paraphanelia website so thats where I ordered them from. In the end we decided to eat the cost ourselves since we had already spent more money than we really should have, but I woulda loved to hand that receipt in to the university.

Dave

Oh, the most important part of our rocket... see attached. :)

That pic would make for a great sticker on our nitrous tank.

I talked to my prof about possible names today, and he really liked "Yellowjacket", so that's the one we'll probably go with. Engine in the pics will be lit on thursday, if it turns into a large bomb, I'll try to post pics of the carnage:P