AggieDave

Martial Arts?

Ever take any martial arts? Did you become a black belt?

I'm getting fairly restless now, since its been a few years since I've really trained, I took Tae Kwon Do formally for nearly 4 years, made it to 1st Gup Brown and at this point am actually kinda pissed off that I didn't spend the extra 6 months I needed to get my black belt. So I'm seriously considering finding a new place to train (the one I used to train at is 4hrs away) and trying to continue.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was in Kendo for two years...(think samurai with a wooden katana)...unfortunately, I screwed up my ankle before I was able to test for anything (rank), or compete...It is an awesome martial art...you have fake swords and you wear armor...when you are pissed at someone this martial art in particular is very therapeutic...:)

and TKD for a semester or two.

~R+R:)...Of course I didn't take out my frustrations on a complete stranger...I just beat the hell outta a complete stranger...just for fun...:P
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

TheAnvil has taken martial arts before.

I used to be a kung-fu maniac then got into baguazhang/hsing-i. Love the internal styles. Haven't been active in a long, long time, but have been wanting to get back into it recently.
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Studied Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Grappling/Submission Fighting) for 15 years. Absolutely love it. Would not consider nor reccomend any other style for anyone serious about self defense.

I used to teach privately (still do when I find the clients) to existing black belts in other styles that were entering NHB/MMA tournaments. I would usually have 2 months to prep them in grappling and submissions. If you are not an above average grappler you for the most part stand no chance whatsoever in a fight against someone who does, especially someone in BJJ.

Forty-two

I took TDS and HKD froma studio here in Manhattan for about 7 years, I quit right before I graduated high School.
I had a VERY unethical instructor. He was a 5th Degree black in TKD, but was demoted to third when the head honchos found out he sewed two of the striped on himself.
My last day seeing him was my black belt test. 2 1/2 hours of physically excruciating workouts, He tells me I pass, I pay him the $500 fee for my belt and for regestration with the world federation in Seul, and the next day I show up to teach a class and he completly tore the place down overnight. He double charged EVERYBODY for their last month and ran out of town. We later found out he was a regestered Sex offender. [:/]
=========Shaun ==========

Took Judo when I was a kid, I don't remember much. I've been getting some kick-boxing lessons lately (just the basics). I'm a novice. ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

i studied kyokushin karate for a couple of years.. got to a mid level belt (was blue, then they changed it to yellow). got tired of getting my ass kicked by 20 somethings that had been doing it since they could walk.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

1st degree black belt - Uechi Ryu Karate (4 1/2 years training; during 4 of those years, I helped teach kid's class)

Some Kung Fu taken as well.

Definitely miss it and need to find another dojo down here and get back into it. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

BB TKD
2 years of Akido...No belt we didn't have belts.

Took some Judo, not much.

Always wanted to take Wing Chung...Never did, most likley never will.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Sorry to hijack, Aggie, but my thought isn't worth its own thread.

Anybody who has a good website I can go to in order to find definitions and descriptions and comparisons of the different disciplines? I'm doing a little Martial Art "window shopping" and wanna find the one that's right for me...

Elvisio "call me Grasshopper" Rodriguez

Yep - Dan (BlackBelt) in Okinawan Kempo Karate
Also studied boxing, wrestling, American Karate and Judo - over 20 years worth.

Disclaimer - I haven't done any of the above in over eight years save what I taught my sons.

If you're serious about self-defense, go with a grappling "art"........particulary BJJ. Anyone who has any amount of street fighting experience knows that grappling rules...chances are you're going to the ground, particularly one on one. With multiple attackers.............run lol. ;)

Edited to add:

A good street fighter can go through the typical martial artist as if he wasn't there. Give a good deal of thought what you want to study...............

One thing that really impressed me about BJJ is that the sparring is basically wrestling with a lot less rules. The goal is to either choke the person out or put them in enough pain to tap out. Very effective in a one on one street fight. Every fight I have ever seen has gone to the ground.

When mixed martial art competition came about, the BJJ stylists dominated the scene and destroyed a lot of myths. Hehehehe - submission techniques found in BJJ is second to none. You're right, when you go to the ground you can throw all this fancy ineffective crap right out of the window.

I took Tae Kwon Do formally for nearly 4 years, made it to 1st Gup Brown and at this point am actually kinda pissed off that I didn't spend the extra 6 months I needed to get my black belt.

Dude thats my story right there. Same style, same belt, but I would've had my black in about 3 more months. I quit cuz the dojo moved and there was nowhere else respectable to train in my area. Oh well, I'm still a dirty street fighter. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

*scoffs*

TAI BO!!! yeah.. i'm a baaaaaaaaaaaaad motherfucker. :D:D

in all seriousness, no i dont really have any official training, but i've been in my share of fights, and i can easily take down a 2nd degree black belt TKD. its all about getting close and like others said, it always ends up on the ground. whatcha gonna doo!! ;)

Ever take any martial arts? Did you become a black belt?reply]

Practiced Kung Fu for 14 years. I'm a black belt (equivalent to a 3rd degree in Karate or TKD) in Bak Siulam Pai Kung-Fu (Traditional Northern Kung Fu) and also practiced for 2 years Wu Shu (modern kung fu) and is extremely demanding. Represented my country in many international competitions and was ranked in the top 10 in one the kung fu associations in the US (had #2, #7 and #9 in different categories). Now, since I graduated from college and started working (6 years now) I haven't been able to return. Missed a lot!

Ivan "Rock On"

12 year karate (started as TKD but we didn't like the formality of the style so later developed our own). It's been a while.....

Instead of paint ball, try something in the woods that's equivalent - except hand to hand. It's a lot of fun. I remember in college going to a set of trails in the woods - 5 of us would separate and then travel the trails. When we'd encounter someone else, we'd spar until a clear advantage on one person is achieved. Then we'd partner and find more people until the entire group is collected. Lots of 1 on 1, 2 on 1, 2 on 3, 1 on 1 on 1, etc combinations, also hiding and sneak attacks, etc. FUN

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants