Suzanne

How would you feel if put in this question

okay so here is the situation..........

Lets say you are crazy enough and decide to be a DZO. You open a dropzone and after 12 years you finally get fairly big. You lease turbine a/c and have a nice safe DZ. This venture is not an easy one and of course you can not make everyone happy.

Along the way you train someone and they become your friend. However, you have a falling out and no more friendship. Then they decide to start up a DZ on the same airport.

Still you have no worries, its all good....plus remember you are nuts because you are a DZO. Then someone wants to jump with you to build up there numbers so they can go work for the other DZ. You kindly tell them you would not feel comfortable with their staff at your DZ.

Time goes by and this jumper is not a bad customer and you even start to like them. However they start working for the other DZ and want to come and jump at your DZ. You just don't feel comfortable with the situation and know it will create more tension in the future. You don't want bad vibes at your dz so you ask them to please decide between the two dz's.

so what would you have done????????................

All dzs have politics and unfortunately it is impossible to convey the whole story in a forum or email.

Safe swoops,
Brian

like someone recently said to me,

hey, business is business!

sometimes you have to take a stand for what is best for your business.

not sure it's what you had in mind though.

peace,
brent***
~~~~Green grass and high clouds forever~~~~
no matter where you go, there you are!

Sounds petty and childish to me. To make a person choose between 2 DZ's is ridiculous. Did the DZOs forcing a jumper to choose ever graduate kindergarten? If the person in question did something unsafe or slanderous toward the DZ, then i can see them being asked to leave. The situation the way you describe it is like saying if someone works at McDonald's they're not allowed to eat at Burger King. The "higher ups" involved here need to grow the f*ck up!!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Was this because there was a job available for them at the new DZ but not at yours? Maybe they prefer jumping at your DZ but we all have to pay for our jump tickets. If the only reason they are working at the other DZ is they had a position available and you didn't I would just be glad they spend their money to jump out of your planes. ;)

Greenie in training.

Time goes by and this jumper is not a bad customer and you even start to like them. However they start working for the other DZ and want to come and jump at your DZ. You just don't feel comfortable with the situation and know it will create more tension in the future. You don't want bad vibes at your dz so you ask them to please decide between the two dz's.

so what would you have done????????................

I would have wished them the best of luck, encouraged them to learn all they can about their job, have fun, come see us when you can, have fun here if you like, please don't share negative crap about that DZ while here and vice versa.

Wait... I have done that. We have two DZs on our airport and here's my rules:

http://www.tulsatandems.com/DZ%20Rules.htm

"Competition is good, it keeps us efficient."

Then someone wants to jump with you to build up there numbers so they can go work for the other DZ

what if after this talk the person decided that they were not going to geta a tandem rating and that is why they need to build jump numbers for, as the skill they already posesed for flying tandem video was enough already and they had been doing it for pay since the last season.....

p.s. are you that scared of his buisness........
p.p.s. i was going to spend the money i made working there (actually probly alot more) on sunday
p.p.s. i did try and call you back yetserday and got machines both numbers so i was gona call tomorow when i knew you would be atthe dz
p.p.p.s. not going to post anything more about this subject as it's a personal matter now that both parties are here and better taken up outside of here than on public display

Let's see...no safety issues mentioned, no fights where cops were called in, no reason other than your uncomfortableness with the DZ thing...you lost a customer and $$$. And, my hat is off to the customer that walked away from your DZ.

Telling a paying customer to choose between 2 DZ's is as stupid as someone working at Pepsi not being allowed to drink Coke.

Who cares what your issue is with the other DZ and DZO? To bring a paying customer into the B.S. political issues that are now going on is bad form and bad business on your end.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Umm
I don't think these are the responses Suzz was expecting
:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
But since you Asked Suzzanne, the DZO is a Dumbarse, he has just sent a valued customer and by your own admission "friend" to the opposition for good.
Now if a "friend" put an ultimatum to me I would pretty much have to reconsider our friendship.
However if the person was a PAYING customer with whom I became friendly with, I would very much like to maintain a bussiness relationship with them even if a deeper friendship was not on the cards.
After all bussiness is bussiness.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

with their staff at your DZ

So that DZ wouldnt put together any Boogies? How about traveling jumpers who happen to be staff at other DZs, near and far? What would be the difference.... Sorry, I dont see what is so wrong about working in one place and also jumping at another.

Being on staff at 2 different DZ is another issue. I personally dont see this as a problem, but as a DZO, its his/her call.
Remster

I don't get it...

OK, they were working for the second DZ but still fun jumping at the first? How is that a problem?? :S
It sounds like whoever asked the jumper to choose has taken a big gamble... At least they were getting some sort of custom. Now they might not get any and get a bad rep into the bargain.

oops.

I wouldn't put an ultimatum on a client or customer - it's the surest way to piss someone off.

Are they paying for their jumps? If so, what's the problem? They are a customer like everyone else - what they go and do with their freefall experience is their choice, be it 100 yds away or a 100 miles
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Romper Stomper Domper Doo, I think we should stop this silly shit too.:):D

Do we need to get out the magic miorror?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Then someone wants to jump with you to build up there numbers so they can go work for the other DZ.

Is this you paying for this persons jumps or are they buying full price tickets?

If (a) you have a right to feel pissed off
If (b) you dont (IMHO).

Try talking to these people... life's too short to fight.:)

Whoops... just saw evilivans similar post...

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Karma can often leave a bad taste in your mouth first thing in the morning, not unlike a Japaneese Hammer Monkey.

Is that what Saki means in Japanese?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Karma can often leave a bad taste in your mouth first thing in the morning, not unlike a Japaneese Hammer Monkey.

Is that what Saki means in Japanese?

Not quite. Saki is Japaneese rice wine. The Hammer Monkey is a mythical creature that lives on your headboard and waits for you to pass out drunk. He then beats your head until you say OW, then he promptly shits in your mouth. Upon awaking in the morning with a splitting headache and the awful taste in your mouth, you knew you had been visited by the Hammer Monkey. The mythical beast was known to be most prevalent when beer was $4 a case.

Its all about the monkey.

Soooooo, is that where Skymonkeys came from?

Are they decendants of the Hammer Monkey? And why do they dislike badgers so much?

Soooooo, is that where Skymonkeys came from?

Are they decendants of the Hammer Monkey? And why do they dislike badgers so much?

:D
No, the Hammer Monkey lives at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan and has no affiliation with Skymonkeys. I believe the Hammer Monkey dislikes badgers because they eat Japaneese Barking Spiders.

And this kind of bullshit is exactly why hooknswoop quit jumping and why I won't jump again until I am able to fly to Eloy/Perris Valley/Elsinore/ect. to jump.

I personally don't care if the DZO likes me or not, I'm a paying customer and if I want to jump at different DZs that is my right, the loyalty card they they like to throw around is bullshit and I for one will not stand for it anymore. I quit jumping at STR because they tossed down the loyalty card at Derek when we were to go on vacation that I had been waiting on for months, both times we ended up leaving late and having to come back early just so he could do 1 F*&cking tandem for them. I told him to quit being an instructor and get a real job which he did, within a year he quit jumping......

See what the attitude of one DZO can cause. >:(
Fly it like you stole it!

That sux - I think i met Derek in passing once - it is a dire shame that he quit - but hey - if you can take something you love as much as I believe he loves skydiving, and walk clean away from it - on your terms - being one of the best - props to you.

It seems that people here could learn a valuable lesson fromwhat he is SCREAMING with his actions.

Don't put up with that shite.

Well, if you have slots available & this jumper wants to come pay you money to make fun jumps - what's it matter if that person works for taco bell or another dz?
this jumper is not making the dz any more money than some random instructor that happened to move into town.

there's a difference between business & relationships. you can have a business relationship & a friend relationship; it's how you handel the 2 that decides if its a friendly business relationship.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Is it really the DZO's decision to determine what the jumper wants to do with his jumps? He might be training for the Golden Knights, preping for the PST, getting jumps to work towards a rating or just out having fun with no future goals. Unless he's a safety hazzard, the DZO was out of line for kicking the jumper off.

Personally I avoid DZ's with slimey business tactics like this. There is a DZ in Georgia I refuse to go to, one in PA, one in AL and now it seems like there is one in Utah I can add to that list.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com