GravityGirl

Jump Plane?

"looks like a DHC Dash-8 Q400 to me..."

I'd go with that, only cos I was looking at Dash 8s for another thread
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Here are a couple of pictures of the airplane that my husband flys.

Is it just me, or does it look a lot like a jump plane?

Honey!?!?! Who do I have to call to book this for the boogie????

Ha. If you think the King Air stalls easy, just get that puppy down to a normal jumprun speed and get the whole plane up the back end for an exit. That T tail will get him nice and current after that real fast.

I've jumped a very similar plane in Poland. They solved that problem by running jumprun at 200 kph. Not nice at all. The one jump was enough for me out of that.

They solved that problem by running jumprun at 200 kph

My God! How would you exit at that speed? geez B|

200Kph=~100Kts. Not as bad as it sounds...Some of my Otter exits felt like that...

Jen

Whoops ! My bad, I meant 200 knots. Truly nasty.

They solved that problem by running jumprun at 200 kph

My God! How would you exit at that speed? geez B|

Jen

Jen,
I have gotten out at 24,000 feet at 180 KEAS. That works out to somewhere around 240 mph. It is a rush to say the least.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Dash 8 Q-400 is the model You are looking at,
haven't flown that specific tail number yet N417QX cuz we just got that one, our landing speeds are 105-120kts so I think you could jump out of it.

Fast, sure we do about 360kts groundspeed with that thing about 5000shp per side.

The better jump ship though would the Dash 8 - 100 model,...

(we just retired a bunch of them too)
Ingen minns en fegis!

Ha. If you think the King Air stalls easy, just get that puppy down to a normal jumprun speed and get the whole plane up the back end for an exit. That T tail will get him nice and current after that real fast.

The tail on a Dash 8 is VERY high. I seriously doubt it'd be an issue, even with a wingsuit.

I talked to a couple pilots that fly Dash 8s for Air Canada for awhile up in Kamloops about the potential of using it as a jump plane. Supposedly, it'd be really easy to strip everything out of the inside, leaving you with essentially a super-size Otter. You can stand up in this plane, and the door is huge. It climbs really damn fast, even fully loaded. You'd a have a REALLY long jump run, or a lot of go arounds. It'd kick ass to jump from it as a specialty aircraft, so long as it's over an area with a lot of outs.

The one in question was a 300 series with a four-bladed prop. The 400 seems a lot beefier. More info at Bombardier's site here:

http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?id=3_0&lang=en&file=/en/3_0/3_1/3_1_2_6.html

It's the twin otter's big brother, both made by DeHavilland in Canada.

True -- Bombardier acquired DeHavilland from Boeing some time ago. Six one, half dozen the other.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click