Viking

How long can you hold your breath?

I don't care how long i can hold my breath. I hate holding my breath, i hate everything right now. Hate Hate Hate!! Yes i'm bitter that i can't get into the pub.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

damn i wonder why my time sucks so bad compared you guys![:/]

I did go down to the bottom of a 15 foot pool maybe that had somthing to do with it. :S

I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Dang oxygen habit...from the very beginning, one breath, and I've been hooked ever since. Sheesh... :S:D....I did about a minute 20 secs sitting here...

So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

A lot depends on pressure. It's easier to hold your breath underwater, particularly if you're weighted or just holding on to something.

Many people get confused by the "brain dead in 5 min without oxygen" arguement, forgetting that the air in your lungs will supply O2 to your brain for a very long time if your muscles don't use it.

A lot of it has to do with being able to relax, slow things down, and just be there.

I have several friends who spear fish competitivly and swim in camoflaged gillie suits, with bottom time which exceeds 5 min. That's BOTTOM time. Their dives are usually about 6 min, and they do 2 to 3 an hour.

Me? On the surface, about 1.5 min. On the bottom, at about 25 feet, I can double that after hyperventilating, but need to pull the air back in from my mask that I breathed out to equalise on the way down. I've never smoked. I understand the risk of shallow water blackout and Narking from multiple freedives.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

how long did you have to hold your breath for SCUBA?

You didn't have to hold your breath for certification, in a way. You had to swim a distance holding your breath. That was waaay back in 1983. I dont believe that is still practiced any more.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Hey Jan! :D Z-Hill joke everyone.

That is not what you looked like on that high altitude load. You had me nervous and you should never make your JM nervous. Not a good thing.

That whole sucking on the air hose thing just did not look good. Your lucky I did not have a camera.

I am glad you had a good jump though.

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

A lot depends on pressure. It's easier to hold your breath underwater, particularly if you're weighted or just holding on to something.

I don't understand how pressure makes it easier to hold your breath?

I understand the risk of shallow water blackout and Narking from multiple freedives.

Shallow water blackout is a danger, but you can't get Nitrogen Narcosis (Narked) free-diving. Nitrogen Narcosis is caused by breathing compressed air at depths of 100 feet or more.

Hook

You feel less bloated - more normal - under pressure. I know Nitrogen Narcosis is common on dives over 3 bar, but the air you breathe on the surface is still under pressure when absorbed into the bloodstream when you freedive - and freedivers go WAY deeper than the average scuba dude/dudet - They're gunning for a record of 500 feet now? Do 6 or 7 of those in a day and see how you feel.:)
t

It's the year of the Pig.

Reviving an ancient post... I've been getting into freediving a lot lately so I did a search to see if it had ever been discussed on here.

A few weeks ago I did 4:00 static (not moving).

The world record (men) is 8:47!
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

how long did you have to hold your breath for SCUBA?

You didn't have to hold your breath for certification, in a way. You had to swim a distance holding your breath. That was waaay back in 1983. I dont believe that is still practiced any more.

You are never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever taught or is it even referred to in class that you hold your breath in scuba. To answer the question at hand, that 4 mins. is pretty impressive. I've gotten up to 2:45 with lots of practice. Probably could go longer if I didn't smoke.