vstar2001

scariest jumps?

thinking back on it, you ever get to the ground and say...........damn I should have stayed in the plane?

didn't know it at the time (first tandem ever), but it was a misting rain, at altitude, could kinda see the ground, and landed way out........... looking back at it, damn, should have stayed in the plane.
I just am................

Pretty much just one time, when the winds were at about 20-25 mph, and I was under a 190. I was moving backwards very quickly, and I happened to be over the world's smallest (not really, but it was small) landing area at the time. I escaped with just a sprained ankle after landing in the conveniently-adjacent-to-the-landing-area briar patch/gorge from hell. [:/]

But hey, at least I didn't wind up in a tree. ;)

My second freefall jump, which was a hop & pop back in the seventies. The weather was not looking so good, but the instructor said we were good for it and that he'd be following me out of the plane. It was raining already. Anyway, I step off, look up and that asshole instructor is waving at me - and then closes the door ! Then this huge bolt of lightning shot right past me. Wow. I opened and landed on the DZ with no problems, but the DZO wanted to know why in hell I jumped in weather like that. I told him because his fucking instructor said so and we both sort of let it go at that and went in the clubhouse and had a beer.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Definitely the time I did a full altitude hop-n-pop with Gary Peeks stilleto rig. His harness is so awkwardly sized that I was scared to death that the leg straps would just come undone. I spend the majority of that jump with my hands in the V of the risers.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

For those of you who may not have seen it, these's a thread called "Scary stories from the pld days" in the History and Trivia forum.....I think it's probably the most entertaining thread I've ever read on this site.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

Too many people packed into the rear of a twin turbine;
Tandem in the door, getting ready to exit;
Shudder, shudder, stall!
Tail drops, left wing drops, right wing goes over the top, (Vmc roll), and from my view out the door past the tandem, the sky & ground start swapping places;
As soon as the tandem left, I was right behind him.

No, I don't wish I'd stayed in the plane.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think my scariest jump would be the first time I jumped my own rig, it also was the first time I packed the chute I was jumping and it was my first liscensed jump. I packed the pilot chute the same way the student rigs were packed, it was in there so tight it took me many attempts to get it out, however I planned on pulling high to get used to my new parrachute, it probably was my biggest scare though.

***Free bird Forever

I think my scariest jump would be the first time I jumped my own rig, it also was the first time I packed the chute I was jumping and it was my first liscensed jump. I packed the pilot chute the same way the student rigs were packed, it was in there so tight it took me many attempts to get it out, however I planned on pulling high to get used to my new parrachute, it probably was my biggest scare though.

Hmm, what a coinky-dink...my first time I packed my main, on my first license jump (not my own gear tho) was my scariest too. Had to cut that mess away. [:/] Not scary in the air, scary when I was chaining up the lines on my reserve on the ground...kinda hit me that that prolly wasn't too cool. :P
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

conveniently-adjacent-to-the-landing-area briar patch/gorge from hell.

I think I know where this is... actually the one time I landed in the briar patch was a very soft touch down.

I haven't had any really harry jumps... close calls or anything... I think one of the scariest jumps was my recurency (after my 6 week layoff due to broken hand...) there were a lot of factors 1. death at the DZ the same day 2. time off 3. feeling that it could happen again

but I still got out... just like everytime.

Scott

Hmmm...scariest jump?

How about the one were I had a side spin on a tandem...after the fact it kinda shook me up.

Or the one where I *got* to land with the 182 after loosing the engine at 200' on take off.

Or the one where I lost altitude awareness during a mal and cleared spinning line twists at about 500'

Or my first reserve ride, it was on a tandem and I had a reserve malfunction (besides linetwists).

Those were all pretty scary after the fact...during the time of trouble, you don't have time to think about scared, or you'll die.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Scariest was when I was jumping with lines stretched bad in the tail and got slamming harsh opens (new lines all's good now).
Thinking I don't want the car wreck hit that's comming next. whooooof It opened soft. The facory was right that my lines were the problem.:)

well...I think that would be my first solo jump after AFF...or the first jump after a two year lay-off...or my first jump on a 168 pilot...or my first baglock which I almost cut-away from.

I think my first solo jump was the most nerve-wrecking for me B|

I've had three scary jumps... one was a reserve ride and the other was an abort. Had to go back through my logbook to find them

1: Had jumper holding my arms on 2 way. He couldn't get over that exit hump and went into a stand on me while I was already flat. He also twisted to my left and pulled my right arm out of socket. I was at about 4000ft by the time I realized I could not move my right arm, so pulled silver. Had to steer and flare a Tempo 150 with only left hand and hitch a ride to the hospital. No AAD on this jump.

2: 18 months later I was leaning out of the plane ready to let go for a hop and pop and felt my right shoulder dislocate while I was turning to face backwards. Instead of letting go I just cussed out a storm and got back inside and had a friend cut my AAD.

3: This wasn't so scary as much annoying. Perfect skydive, nice opening... except for one thing. I was holding my risers during the opening sequence and got a small backwards nudge before my Sabre2-170 was flying. That kick on the right side was enough to (yet again) disclocate my right shoulder. I am a pro at putting it back in myself now, but the harness strap prevents me from contorting my arm across my chest to pop the joint back in while I was in the harness... so I undid the brakes and flew it with just the left hand and flared. Landed in the peas, but landed hard.

I got some good 1-handed canopy flying practice now. :S:)

1st jump after getting solo lic....there was a nice big fluffy cloud at my pull alt...my plan was to fly through it under canopy(never been through a cloud)...must have got a little ground rush from the cloud and rushed my pull...didnt counter....started to tip diagonally forward to the right as I pulled...panicked..dearched...flipped through my deploying lines...ended up almost standing with the bridal wraped around my right arm and the D bag flapping in front of my face:|

Pushed the D bag away with both hands clearing the bridel from my arm.....wooosh..canopy opens....however...it flipped me back the way I came with some nasty force...OUCH....and my helmet was also caught between the V in the left risers...choke choke...could see I had a nice square canopy above me...but was being choked pretty bad...tried using the quick release on the strap to no avail..choke choke choke.....Doh...lifted my self up on the risers and got my head out...whew :)
Scared me shitless:|

well I would definately have to say when I had my main/reserve emtanglement that I rode all the way to impact... man am I lucky to have walked away from that one.

there are a few others... low turns and smashing into the swoop ditch without flaring... but I didnt even know anything was wrong until I was trying to catch my breath from the wind being knocked out of me as I pulled my soaking wet self outof the ditch....

my first cutaway... that was pretty scary... since it was a slow speed mal I had plenty of time to think about it and get worked up... landed uneventfully...

first night jump was pretty scary also... had a black canopy...and line twists... about 6 or so.... I kicked and kicked and kicked... about the time where I saw my hard deck approaching I stopped kicking to find my handles...then started to spin the opposite way... I was kicking the wrong way! I couldnt see the canopy or twists since it was at night... got out of that one uneventfully as well...

I am sre I had a couple other scary ones...but those top the list...

-y

well I would definately have to say when I had my main/reserve emtanglement that I rode all the way to impact... man am I lucky to have walked away from that one.

there are a few others... low turns and smashing into the swoop ditch without flaring... but I didnt even know anything was wrong until I was trying to catch my breath from the wind being knocked out of me as I pulled my soaking wet self outof the ditch....

Oh, I know what the problem is...both were on weekends I was coming to Spaceland...I guess I'll have to quit going to Spaceland.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Jump 44 on student gear. After opening, turning towards the DZ, the FXC misfired and I ended up with 2 out. When I saw my main in front of me it took about 50 nanoseconds to decide to chop it. After the chop I immediately had a beautiful reserve over my head which I landed without a problem.

Later while looking for my main, I fell out of a tree and broke my ribs. Go figure.

P-
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

Hold the hell up. the people at the dz let you get up after that? i would have pinned your ass to the ground as gently as i could and waited for the paramedics!!!B|B|

Mine would have to be when i got cought by a dust devil that came off the grass landing area at perris (no dust in it yet so i couldn't see it) and at about 200 feet got turned a little over 90 degrees to the right. the runway was right there. I did a flat turn just like Bill Von had told me to do in a situation like that. Got down safe. Odd thing is that i had a day dream about that happening (only i slammed into the ground) no less than a week prior (and posted about the dream and the jump). kinda spooky

Other one would be my first and as yet only Helicopter jump. It was at WFFC 2004 and I was jumping with Lewmonst and Dagimp. Ended up forgetting what that whole pointing at you signal means and opened below 2k and just missed a two out situation on a PD demo rig. Dagimp wasn't so lucky and had a two out much lower than me and we both landed in a Soy bean field. My gf damn near killed me for that one. :$:$:$B|

I guess another one would be my first out landing which was at SD San Diego. I had to land on that dirt road that runs behind the runway in a crosswind, with barbwire on both sides.........on my first jump on a new canopy no less. Got a good bruise on my hip and nice tear on my new jumpsuit for that one.

ok thats enough of my fuck ups:$:$:$:$:$
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

My scariest jump was jump #4. I had a cut away on #3, very scary. But it was getting back into the plane, and then getting out at altitude which was by far the largest challenge, and the scariest thing, I've ever done.

I still wonder where that discipline, faith and courage came from.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Later while looking for my main, I fell out of a tree and broke my ribs. Go figure.

:D:D:D
glad ur okay!

i'll definitely go with my scariest jump being the one after my cutaway:S

also got a little nervous in eloy when i was coming in on final in the main landing area and wasnt getting any forward movement at all, just headin straight down directly above the lama & horse yard. what are those things doing right there anyway!
luckily i landed outside of the fence. i can't even explain to you the thoughts that went through my head thinking i was going to land with those damn lamas!:D:D

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA