skydiverek

VIDEO of premature deployment at WFFC

Yea, and maybe not yell "Go! GO!" to some one when they see a bag out of the container. Pulling the guy back in and sitting on the canopy would have been a great idea. How many of us remember that from our FJC?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I thnk I'll use that video for safety day.

Ditto. I've got a friend burning it to DVD for exactly that purpose. It provides a nice intro (and sobering perspective) on several topics (gear maintenance, gear checks, jump run procedures, and emergency exits at a minimum).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Yea, and maybe not yell "Go! GO!" to some one when they see a bag out of the container. Pulling the guy back in and sitting on the canopy would have been a great idea.

I watched the video, and the people in the front of the plane were yelling "Go! Go! Go!" from the moment that the door opened, not because his canopy was prematurely deploying. As the others are yelling "Go!", the guys at the door were making sure the spot was ok. Then, when he (guy with premature deployment) is getting into the door, his friend noticed what was happening and immediately tried to pull the friend back in, while screaming in Spanish to alert everyone, "It (canopy) came out!!!". He obviously tried to pull him back in, but it was too late. The guy was quickly torn out the door.

That video was just frightening to watch. Glad that I saw it.

>Yea, and maybe not yell "Go! GO!" to some one when they see a bag out of the container.

Yep, that too.

I remember hearing the "go! go!" start as the guy crouched by open the door. At first I was going to yell at them to cut it out because I figured they were just doing the usual I-don't-want-a-bad-spot thing. Then I saw his canopy go out the door, and joined in the yelling to go (although it didn't do much good.)