justaflygirl

jumping at multiple dz's

where I live I have three dz's in under an hours drive and several more in unders 2 hrs drive.

I consider zhills my home dz, and unless something really off the wall and unforseen happens, I dont see that changing, however, I would like to occasionally goto one of the others in the area, just for shits and giggles. I just wanna make sure this isnt considered a "trader" type act. And I defintily dont wanna piss off anyone at my home dz.

where I live I have three dz's in under an hours drive and several more in unders 2 hrs drive.

I consider zhills my home dz, and unless something really off the wall and unforseen happens, I dont see that changing, however, I would like to occasionally goto one of the others in the area, just for shits and giggles. I just wanna make sure this isnt considered a "trader" type act. And I defintily dont wanna piss off anyone at my home dz.

RoamingDZ.com

You're not alone. Meeting new people and jumping all over is one of the best things about this sport. Have fun and be safe!! :)
I like coconuts. You can break them open and they smell like ladies lying in the sun!

I've had a few people give me a hard time for traveling to other dz's in FL before. One of them said it in front of our General Manager one day and he just shrugged and said, "so, she was slumming it, no big deal". :ph34r: DeLand will always be my home but it's fun to travel around and see my friends when they come to different dz's in FL. I highly recommend you travel around!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

If anyone tries to give you a hard time about jumping at other DZ's (with a few exceptions, depending on where you visit :ph34r:), put your foot in the middle of their ass and twist it. :D

Go see what else is out there, and have fun! :)

Don't worry about that, check out the other DZs, you'll have fun!
And if you want company, I'm sure there's some dz.com people that will be glad to meet you at their local DZ, and you could ask ZHills regulars to join you too...many of them jump at Lake Wales and Sebastian and Deland also....

Just make sure you talk to the locals at each one, don't be shy.... they will help you get a feeling for the landing areas, weather etc...and hopefully invite you on a skydive! I recommend getting a coach jump with an instructor, it's a great way to start off in a different DZ.

As for ZHills, many of us go there even when other DZs may be closer. We get frequent visits from friends in Deland, JVille, South FL....because they all know that there is always a good, friendly time at ZHills....

See ya around, muff muff muff!;)

marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I'll quote billvon on this:

"Get out of your drop zone. Drop zones tend to have "flavors" to them, and are sometimes homogenous when it comes to skills or equipment. Kapowsin, for example, seems to use nothing but Infinitys, and for a while Air Adventures was nearly 100% Reflex. Some drop zones are mainly freefly, some RW, some do a lot of demos. By getting away from the familiar, you'll learn more about other disciplines, other equipment, even other ways of thinking. You'll also meet some really cool people - you can't talk to Bryan Burke, John LeBlanc, Tony Domenico or Adam Filipino, for example, and not learn something. Unfortunately, not every drop zone has them, so you have to hit the road."

His entire article here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=81

My wife is hotter than your wife.

If anyone tries to give you a hard time about jumping at other DZ's (with a few exceptions, depending on where you visit :ph34r:), put your foot in the middle of their ass and [b/twist it. :D

Go see what else is out there, and have fun! :)

The foot I can see, but twist it? thats just evil :D
----
-God, you are the perfect amount of dumb...

I dont live in florida, but it took me 4 differnet DZs in 3 differnet states just to get my A license. ive since been to 2 other dzs. i think its good to see other dzs, to see what they are like and if i want to jump, give them money, there in the future.
-Fish

Blue skies, Soft landings

TRAVEL - (Yes, I know that's shouting)

One of the greatest things about skydiving is meeting people all over the world.

I wouldn't want to jump at a DZ that says "If you jump anywhere else, you're not welcome here anymore."

I go back and forth between Elsinore and Perris regularly. When Perris was run by a club in the mid 80's, I was the treasurer of the club, but also piloted the jump planes at Elsinore!

You might feel more comfortable if you plan a "road trip" with one or two other jumpers, so you won't be alone. Contacts through DZ.com are also a great idea!

Have fun!

Blue Skies!

Harry Leicher
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I bounce between DZ`s alot. In fact yesterday I was going back and forth between two different DZ`s all day long. There are 3 DZ`s that are less than a 20 drive between and 5 Dz`s that are less than 1.5 hour drive from my home.

I love going to other DZ`s and meeting other people.

There is only one of the 5 DZ`s in my area that has a problem with their Jumpers and/or staff visiting other DZ`s. That particular DZ will fire and staff that visits certain other competing DZ`s even if they go over after hours. They also will harass any of their regular fun Jumpers that come over. Pretty sad and I can’t believe that they put up with that kind of BS. That is highly unusual and not the norm. If your home DZ does happen to say anything negative about jumping somewhere else every once in a while… You may want consider a new home DZ.

For the most part, Once you have a little experience under your belt.. Visiting other DZ`s should be encouraged.

Chris Spence started the Roaming DZ just for this reason, So that jumpers could travel around and meet other jumpers without DZ politics and/or petty rivalries getting in the way.

Most DZs welcome visitors and encourage their junior jumpers to visit other DZs, boogies, etc.

A handful of grumpy, old, grey-bearded DZs get personally offended when you visit other DZs. I even heard of one Canadian DZO who said "if your logbook shows jumps at other DZs, don't bother coming back here! Hmmpf!"
Guess how many of my dollars he got?
Hee!
Hee!

There is only one of the 5 DZ`s in my area that has a problem with their Jumpers and/or staff visiting other DZ`s.

Basically - it boils down to this...it's your money...spend it where you'd like!!

When you are staff - sure, you can expect to have some issues with what you're allowed to do at other dz's, but it still shouldn't stop you from visiting other dzs on your day off, or attending boogies elsewhere. Hell - for me - 1/2 the fun of skydiving is the variation!!

The particular dz that Thanatos is mentioning won't allow their staff to JUMP at any other dropzone...and if they go to other dzs to visit - they're required to wear their "home" dz clothes. Sort of guerilla marketing....
If other fun jumpers show up to this dz wearing clothes from other dz's - they're asked to change, or purchase clothes from *this* dz.

I'm not bashing the dz, but I find it foolish, and unnecessary. Spence, who has been mentioned before, operates his boogies in different places under the sole premise that "we're all here to skydive, and have fun!"

Often the "have fun" is confused with other less fun ideals, but ultimately - it still boils down to 'having fun'.

HAVE FUN in your own ways...and WHEREEVER you want to!!! Like it has been said before - that's when you'll *really* learn in this sport!

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

...The particular dz that Thanatos is mentioning won't allow their staff to JUMP at any other dropzone...and if they go to other dzs to visit - they're required to wear their "home" dz clothes....
If other fun jumpers show up to this dz wearing clothes from other dz's - they're asked to change, or purchase clothes from *this* dz.

That's really fucked up. Who's the DZO? Joseph Goebbels?

Heck no.. get out and travel... go to boogies.... I would think you could do that safely down there without being considered a "traitor".

We have 4 Dz's in the Seattle area.. and only one of them has that kind of attitude. I took a lot of crap from that DZO when I would go down to Kapowsin to jump with the vastly more experienced jumpers there. He really hated the Kapowsin Logo with Mt Rainier on it I had embroidered on my V-Max jumpsuit.

Oh and Lawrocket dear.. I have seen all kinds of different rigs at Kapowsin other than Infinities;)

There are people there with Javelins, Mirages, RWS and even some Wings.

But I do love my Infinity 2.0 and Infinity 3.0 will be done this week:)

Infinity 1.0 now lives down at Skydive San Diego:D

Just take a look at the fraction of ZHills jumpers over the course of a year who's home DZ is elsewhere. No way the ZHills folk, who are all amiable people, will complain if you jump somewhere else for a change of scenery.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

:D Enjoy all the different DZ's. Travel and have fun.

My "home" DZ's (and yes, it's multiple ones):

• SkyKnights - where I learned to skydive
  • ZHills - my first :D DZ that I jumped at away from "home" (jump # 50) and the one that I visit frequently
  • SDC (Skydive Chicago) - my first :D DZ that I jumped at in competition (MSL meet) and where I do "Max ways" :D

And those are just the ones that I call home. I've jumped at 15 DZ's so far and have a ton more that I want to add to my list.
    Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I just wanna make sure this isnt considered a "trader" type act. And I defintily dont wanna piss off anyone at my home dz.

People who think like this are tools. Anyone worth hanging out with doesn't care.
    "I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Go for it - you're fortunate to have so many DZs nearby - take advantage! I jumped away from my home DZ for the :D time a few weeks ago and it was great. I'm about to hit the road and hit as many as possible in 3 weeks, and I can't wait! I'm also looking forward to exploring the other Seattle-area DZs this summer.

When I came back from Hollister, I got some good-natured teasing about how I was gonna become a "turbine snob" but otherwise, everyone's totally cool with it. I'm not sure I'd want to jump anywhere that wasn't! My home DZ will always be home, but it's great to spread my wings, too.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke