ccowden

What is a "low timer?"

Along the lines of the "Do you jump with low timers" thread, what do you consider to be a low timer in terms of jumps? I am curious, because I see see people with various jump numbers referring to others as low timers.

I consider less than 200 jumps as to be a relatively low timer for jumps. Not in a negative way, but as in the stage of still a beginner in terms of experience.

So, what do others think?

I consider myself as a "low timer", not because of my jump number, but because of my awareness of the skills I have yet to aquire. To me, its not so much the jump number, but the skill that one has that seperates jumpers. That being said, I understand that you don't get skill without jumps, but jumps in themselves don't necessarily have skill
ignorance is not bliss

I couldn't agree more. I have jumped with people who had 100 jumps who could teach people with 1,000 jumps a thing or two.

Jump numbers is a very poor way to determine skill, but when talking about time in the air and experience, it usually gives you a good starting point.

I would honestly base it off of more than just jump numbers. How many years have they been in the sport?

I mean, if someone has 300 jumps and has been in the sport for 1 year or less, they are moving quite fast and are rockin in currency.

If someone has 500 jumps and has accumlated those jumps within 5 years or so, then I'd consider the person with 300 jumps in 1 year less of a low-timer.

Just my opinion.

I would honestly base it off of more than just jump numbers. How many years have they been in the sport?

I mean, if someone has 300 jumps and has been in the sport for 1 year or less, they are moving quite fast and are rockin in currency.

If someone has 500 jumps and has accumlated those jumps within 5 years or so, then I'd consider the person with 300 jumps in 1 year less of a low-timer.

Just my opinion.

Similar thoughts here...

goes back to the time vs. jumps thread.

Hi Amanduh!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'd agree with 200. I know folks who are kicking butt, mentally and skills wise with fewer jumps, and I know folks with 500 who can't fly their way out of a paper bag. Still, I'd say somewhere around 200 jumps they stop needing quite as much attention and can usually be expected to know what their slot entails and have a reasonable shot at flying it without a bunch of direction.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Depends on the group. If you are trying to get on the World Team and have less than 3000-4000 jumps you are a low-timer.

Personally I view anyone with less than 200 a low-timer and some people with less than 500 because of their skills or frequency of jumping.

A guy that has 1000 jumps over 20 years will not fly as well as a jumper with 200 in six months.

Blue skies,

Jim

would honestly base it off of more than just jump numbers. How many years have they been in the sport?

I disagree the 5 year gal or guy has seen or knows someone who has went in. Has seen a lot of different weather, knows his were he's strong and his shortcomings. The yearling hasn't been around enough to have a complete perspective on the sport.

I've jumped with people with thousands of jumps so it's hard for me to consider myself anything but a low timer.

What the gorgeous redhead said:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I don't think it can necessarily be based on jump numbers. For instance if you put in 200 jumps in a year, then you are jumping consistently and probably getting really good at what you do. If you put in 200 jumps in say 3 years, you are not consistent and would probably not be progressing as well as others. I have nearly 200 jumps and was very consistent my first year. I had confidence and felt much better in the sky than I do now. I don't jump very often right now (school and work constraints), and I feel the difference completely. I feel more like a newbie now than I did at 100 jumps. . .Just my 2 cents. . .

Edited to add: Geez, I should read before posting. . .lol!
FGF #6
Darcy

My interpretation of it (and since I started the other thread I feel I should add this ;)), is based on both time in the sport and number of jumps.

Less than 2 years in the sport - doesn't matter how many jumps you have, your a n00b/low-timer

Less than 300 jumps after 2 years in the sport, your a low-timer.

After 2 years and 300+ jumps you're moved to 'intermediate' :P

Jen
Arianna Frances

I've jumped with people with thousands of jumps so it's hard for me to consider myself anything but a low timer.

Same here. I'm often the person with the least amount of jumps (200) on many of the skydives (and even tunnel sessions) that I've been on. I always appreciate being asked on those jumps.

CCowden~
I also consider low-timers at under about 200-250 jumps or so. I know that at 200 jumps, I consider myself a low-timer when next to fellow skydivers with thousands of jumps, who have medals from competitions and so forth. My tunnel skills have made me feel ok about my flying skills, but I feel that I have so much to learn, always. I would feel silly talking about "low-timers", when I have only 200 jumps myself. :D

That said, I have met and read about skydivers who think that they are above the curve of other newbies. Those are usually the people who need the most help with their own skills and shouldn't be "teaching" low-timers their bad habits. Thankfully, there are some great coaches, specifically in Southern California, who offer free camps for newbies at both Elsinore (ExCel camp) and Perris (2-way Camp), where newer jumpers can learn good skills in a safe environment. Hopefully, there are these kinds of camps at many other DZs across the country.