alanab

What's the cheapest way to get a car rental?

Call them direct and get a price quote. Call different companies and get different quotes. Then go to websites such as Travelocity and see if you can get cheaper rates there. Generally the internet is the best way to get the cheapest but don't book without calling them first because sometimes the companies have discounts that aren't listed on the internet. It's a little work but it will save you money.:)
...edited for spelling...

I rent cars several times a month. Definitely go with the internet, and go directly to the company's web sites. Most of the time, they offer their own best rates. However, I have found that sometimes Hotwire.com beats them. Just do a little comparison shopping to see. Then when you find a good rate, call the company and ask about their "under 25" policy. I think Avis is just an extra deposit which you will get back.
BTW, Enterprise has a kick-ass weekend deal which is only 9.95 a day for the weekend. Its only in certain locations, but you can't beat the price if you can get it. But I have no idea about their under 25 policy, so definitely check on that.
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

hey alana-

i remember renting a car through MCO airport once when under 25- I think the cheapest BY FAR was Payless car rental. It's off airport, but has shuttle pick up. They were way cheaper than the big names and the car was fine for my purposes.

you can always go through www.rentawreck.com

they rent rebuilt cars - much cheaper than the other places - i've used them before and it worked well
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

I didn't read all the posts but since I won Pimp my Ride I got a rental in the mean time and I found a sneaky way to cut the cost....but only if you have your own insurance....tell them not to add insurance that you want to put yours on it and that cuts the cost in half almost....now if you dont have insurance put car under someone elses name thats over 25yrs and has it and put ya as second driver...hope this helps..B|

Blue Skies and Terminal Memories 4 Life

www.priceline.com
www.hotwire.com

also, when I was under 25 ( a whole wooping 9 months ago), I found it alot cheaper to rent from the local, off-airport locations. Just figure out which airport you are flying in, search for off-airport car rental - the shittier the place sounds, the cheaper it will be. then just call 'em and reserve. Some of those places only surcharge for under 21, not under 25

www.rentalcars.com is a good site too...

good luck

Also, look into NOT getting your car from the airport location, sometimes it's more expensive

In most cases, it's more expensive as they'll add an airport recovery fee as the off airport locations do not. I'd have to look at my expense reports to see what the proper name for it is.
It's easier for me to get at the airport and avoid the bus and since I'm expensing it anyway, the fee doesn't bother me.
------
Michael

*raises hand*

When I came up to Ohio I had rented a car. I called the day I was suppose to fly in and THEN they decided to tell me they were charging me an extra $25 a day because I was under 25. PUNKS! I cancelled on them. Cheapest way = knock your friend down 20 bucks to drive you around and call it a day. :PB|:D

Also use any and all ID's/ club cards you have and see which gives the best rate. USPA has Hertz discount (I have personally never used it). Sams Club, AAA, Airline ID (or friend in the Travel industry, some companies will give you a discount for family/friends in the travel industry), Military ID (enterprise once gave me $5/day discount for my military contractor ID!).

Keep in mind most of these discounts I received at the counter and were NOT given to me over the phone or on the internet. I happen to be a very last minute / surprise I'm here kinda traveller. Never been much for advanced planning.

Priceline is great. really low-ball it and slowly work up if you keep getting turned down. You would be suprised the price I have paid for hotels, etc. by bidding this way.

As far as the under 25 deal, off airport locations are MUCH cheaper. most have shuttles to/from airport or will tell you the cheapest way to get there (they may even pick you up!)

Remember, it never hurts to ask!

Good Luck!