lawrocket

What are the Natural Disaster Risks where You Live?

Don't move here, the winters suck with tons and tons of snow, and we are below freezing from Nov. till mid March.

Oh wait, for a second I thought you were talking about New England, thats my advice... [:/]

Jen

:D:D:DRight on girl! I agree! As soon as the Masters is done then I'm out of here!!!! ;) No more sitting with my booty on a heating pad underneath an electric blanket with another heating pad under my feet while in front of a heater while sipping on hot cocoa evenings for me. B|

Tell me about it, 27 years of this shit and I'm wasted on it. My husbands only been here 6 so I have to wait for him to get sick of it first [:/]

AZ looks better every day....

Jen

Not a bad choice, used to live there. It only stays hot from june to middle of Oct, but the only really hot months are July, part of Aug, first part of Sept, so its not as bad as they make it out to be.

Try N. Scottsdale.

Don't move here, the winters suck with tons and tons of snow, and we are below freezing from Nov. till mid March.

Oh wait, for a second I thought you were talking about New England, thats my advice... [:/]

Jen

:D:D:DJen, you know you can move here...........but no one else. Stay where you are!

HEY >:(
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

We have a major faultline, and I live where the path of the Mississsippi changed back in the 1880s due to a huge quake, although we have gorgeous topsoil because of the river bottom.
We see lots of twisters every spring, and I've seen several tornadoes, but that's NOTHING compared to what they are going thru in the south right now.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

OK flyangel2 and davedlg...........

Keep your mouths shut!:Por we'll wind up with even MORE traffic on I25,I70,C470......

Dont forget the St Patty's day storm of 2003 or the Blizzard of '82

There is also a remote earthquake risk and if the Yellowstone caldera ever decides to cut loose.......:oit would make Krakatoa look like a firecracker............B|
Marc SCR 6046 SCS 3004

Toronto - where I grew up, none of the above. Toronto does get the occaisional bad snowfall, but those usually are tame compared to other northern cities. They also occaisionally get a real cold day, but again these pale in comparison to most nordic cities. The coldest Toronto usually sees is -20 celcius.

I'm in Chicago now, though. Chicago has a tornado risk in the summer.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

reply]

Not a bad choice, used to live there. It only stays hot from june to middle of Oct, but the only really hot months are July, part of Aug, first part of Sept, so its not as bad as they make it out to be.

Try N. Scottsdale.

Yeap, worse fear around here is warm beer ;)

I live in the Sandhills of North Carolina.

We get some flash flooding because of heavy consistent rain, but only in the low-lying areas. Occasionally the Little River jumps its banks in a couple of places, but the people who live there are prepared (houses on stilts).

We have had a couple of hurricanes come through this area since I've lived here - Hugo (1989), Fran (1996).

A few tornadoes as well - high moisture levels, fast moving thunderstorms, and rapid drops in temperature seem to make conditions ripe for them.
Arrive Safely

John

Samples (from someone that has lived in many places)…

New Orleans, LA - hurricane plus floods, c1963

Swartz Creek MI - snowed in for 3 days, tornadoes, flood -1965-1969

Palatine, IL - earthquake, early morning and strong enough to wake you up, from New Madrid fault line -sometime between 1970-1974.

West Lafayette, IN - snowed in for 4 days. first time Purdue was ever shut down, c1977. We played the longest game of Risk ever known.

Snowed in west of Denver at a campsite in the end on May 1977 on a motorcycle cross country trip. Snow plows were out clearing the roads.

Tucson, AZ - floods from a hurricane, c1984, city was cut off by road for about a week, all freeways were washed out. Tucson also has dust storms, only caught in one of those in 6 years.

Davis, CA - El Nino Floods c1997, earthquake risk - did not feel Loma Prieta because I was driving on the freeway.

I did live in Poway, CA for 1.5 years. The big fires burned the field across the street from where I lived. That entire neighborhood was evacuated and several homes at the top of the hill (about 10 homes away) were burned. I had moved to Hemet by this time.

Hemet, CA - flood (a few weeks ago, last January), high winds - strong enough to down trees (a few weeks ago plus usually 5 times per year, had a neighbor's tree fall and damage my library building this past winter), earthquakes (about a month ago plus one or two +4 per year)

and in the man-made disasters category - the NE corridor blackout of c1962.

Choose your poison.

Quade and I were talking about the looting and people shooting at police and rescuers in NO. He can't understand it, I can.
Here's a story I have about NO.
My bf and I did a cross country motorcycle trip from Purdue to NO to DC and back to Purdue in the summer (c1977). Stan and I were driving in an offset configuration on the 4-lane road that ran along the French Quarter. Some guy pulls up behind me, then changes lanes to the right. He slows along side Stan, who was in front on the left. I see this guy rummage into his dashboard. He pulls out a gun! We fortunately were driving on a 4-lane road that had islands and breaks where you could turn. Stan immediately turned left and so did I. It was an Easy Rider scene.

Later we looked up the address of where my family lived in 1962 or 3, at the Tulane library. I took pics of the house and the street in both directions. I don't have that info now, but I'll bet it's not there any more.

Other people in LA are much nicer. I met two interns from Lafayette, LA while hiking the Grand Canyon on that same MC trip that I was snowed in near Denver. The next summer on the trip to NO we stopped by to see them. They were still very nice.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

In PA where I am now tornadoes and blizzards and ice storms. In CT where I normally live we get just blizzards and ice storms. A shell of ice 2-3 inches thick will sometimes coat everything and you have to chisel into your car. Branches get heavy and break easy. Roofs get a lot of damage. Before a blizzard the grocery stores are insane with crowds.

I've found that in Lancaster, PA Natural disasters that close down roads and endanger the lives of many (without notice) would be YARD SALES.

Well I'm in middle Tennesse and we get Tornadoes at times as well as Flash floods in some areas as well. Alot seems to do with changes from Season to Season.

The Bad thing about the Tornadoes we get is sometimes you dont know when they may strike.
Last season we had one hit around Columbia TN and a little girl died when the brick wall she was hiding near gave in on her.:( It was a Bad deal. Downtown Clarksville TN was demolished about five years ago as a Tornado just flattened that area along with Jackson TN. Both downtowns were damaged really Bad. At least with a Hurricane you know its coming unlike a Bad Tornado.

In PA where I am now tornadoes and blizzards and ice storms. In CT where I normally live we get just blizzards and ice storms. A shell of ice 2-3 inches thick will sometimes coat everything and you have to chisel into your car. Branches get heavy and break easy. Roofs get a lot of damage. Before a blizzard the grocery stores are insane with crowds.

I've found that in Lancaster, PA Natural disasters that close down roads and endanger the lives of many (without notice) would be YARD SALES.

I believe it was Kentucky or Tennessee that had the world's longest/ largest yard sale. It included thousands of people's yards and stretched through several states and 300 miles. :D

i currently reside in wilmington, delaware... the state itself is just a disaster... so really no concern of anything making things worse :)
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

As a nation we're pretty safe
we get a few Cyclones up north, but it's sparsley populated there. The worst one was in 1973 when Cyclone Tracy took out Darwin.
We are in a perpetual drought most of the time and we get some Huge Bushfires, but I don't really class them as disasters, the fires are part of the natural ecology for Oz.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

In the hills of Western Mass. we're most likely to get blizzards and ice storms. Less frequent are small tornadoes. Of course there's always lightning which hit my house on 8/14.[:/] Minor hurricanes and tropical storms are rare but can happen. We also get pretty nasty wind.

Overall, pretty safe.

My son and I were just talking about that today.

I'm close enough to the mnts that we don't have to worry about a tornado.

Yes, we get snow, but in a few days it has melted. I guess I'm just lucky were I live, since I can't really think about any Natural Disaster that would shut us down like what happened in NO.

It's crazy extreemly rare/low chance but yellowstone is still considered an active volcano and as big as it is I can definately see it causing us problems here in CO. :S
Fly it like you stole it!

Up until this year, here in West Texas, we've had 13-yrs. of drought. Due to the drought, we've been highly susceptible to brush fires. Then too, we might get the occasional tornado. That risk, hasn't been too bad in recent years. When we do get rain, we quite often, get damaging hail with it. We've had all the windows in our house blown-out by hail. When the rain is heavy, we get flash flooding. Summer months are hotter'n hell. Other than that, it ain't a bad place to live.:)

Chuck

Earthquakes, ofcourse, but in this area the earthquekes tend to be relatively mild. Fires when Santa Anna winds pick up...thats about it.

My first time in Calif., was June, 1970. I was headed to my duty station and would stay with relatives, till I found a place of my own. I drove through Calexico and over the mountains into San Diego County. To the right of my view were blackened mountainsides from brush fires and scattered smouldering homes. Drove on to El Cajon and to my cousin's home. I was there about 20-minutes when things on shelves started rattling. "Just a tremor... we get 'em all the time!" my cousin told me. The following year was ... interesting! :D I'll never forget it!

Chuck