someday

Pd storm for 100 jump wonder

I'd venture to say yes, depending on the size/WL you wind up with... and you have the added advantage of having a CRW friendly canopy if you ever desire to dabble on the dark side...

Disregarding the whole "not knowing what dicipline you'll follow" or the "downsizing in a few hundred jumps and getting enuff on the resale to buy another canopy" arguments... I think you should def buy one! In fact, get two if you can afford it... Preferable Blue ones, with orange and white thrown in. Oh, and make sure you get the CRW set-up too... And when your ready to downsize, just let me know. :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

>do you think a PD storm is ok for a 100 jump wonder getting his first rig

Perhaps give it a bit longer, so that the canopy has a bit of a track record. PD is a great company and they do extensive testing on their products (heck, I even did a few 'test jumps' on one of the prototypes) but it doesn't have much of a track record yet, and it will be difficult for anyone to give you a good recommendation until there's more experience with it in the field.

anyone who knows more then me,

do you think a PD storm is ok for a 100 jump wonder getting his first rig

The storm is a perfect canopy for someone with 100 jumps - assuming proper wing loading.

I'm impressed that PD is working to produce better and better canopies for those who need or prefer moderate performance.

When you're ready for more performance, I'd bet you'll have no problem selling a Storm to the next guy.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

hmm what about seven cells in general?

depends on wingloading and what disciplines you want to do...
i bought a 7cell as my first canopy because i knew i wanted to do wingsuits, crew, accuracy, base, demos, etc...if i was into swooping, i would have bought a semielliptical like sabre2 or a pilot. not saying that 9cells are not good for other disciplines, but thats how i decided what to buy.
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

If the Storm is anything like PD is telling us, then it's an excellent canopy for someone with 100 jumps.

It is something like PD is telling us and it is an excellent canopy for someone with 100 jumps. Of course, that is if its jumped at an appropriate wingloading for the jumper's experience.

I talked about the production demo I jumped a few weeks ago in another thread and all in all the best way to describe it is as a 7-cell Sabre2 that opens better then a Spectre. Impressive to say the least.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If the Storm is anything like PD is telling us, then it's an excellent canopy for someone with 100 jumps.

It is something like PD is telling us and it is an excellent canopy for someone with 100 jumps. Of course, that is if its jumped at an appropriate wingloading for the jumper's experience.

I talked about the production demo I jumped a few weeks ago in another thread and all in all the best way to describe it is as a 7-cell Sabre2 that opens better then a Spectre. Impressive to say the least.

X2 on what dave said.

having recently demoed a storm and a spectre. i'd pick the storm. it's glide angle in full flight it less steep than the spectre and it's turns felt snappier (to me). but the openings and braked flight characteristics of the two were pretty much identical.

contact PD about getting a demo. they'll get you one for your current skill level. cheers
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

OK, so this means that the market value of a Spectre has just decreased because the Storm has everything the Spectre has...plus more.

Sounds like in a few months it will be an excellent buyers' market for used Spectres! I think that having a decent supply of affordable yet reliable used gear on the market is good for the sport.

Don't overlook the Aerodyne Triathlon. It's an excellent canopy.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

We had every storm size between 135 and 190 at Mile Hi this weekend for a demo weekend (thanks PD).

I jumped the 135 loaded 1.7. A 60 jump new to the sport guy jumped the 190 loaded 1 to 1. We both liked it. Both had soft easy landings at high altitude, no wind, high density altitude days.

I would have no problem recommending it to newer skydivers... Dare I say it, I like it better than a Sabre 2... Some people think more cells the better... Well this 7 cell canopy proves differently.

Get a demo. Jump the demo. If you like, buy!

I jumped a 150 eliptical at probably 40jumps, loaded at 1.4. Not the best of ideas(no crapping me out, that has been done), but with respect I learnt how to fly it, not once slammed in.
So, for 100jumps, the person should decide if he is comfortable with his canopy skills, and remember not to hook it after the 3rd or 4th flight that went well.

Yes, 100jump wonder can jump it, careful of the wl.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I just spent a couple of weekends with a demo Storm 135 and my impression is that it's a perfect first canopy, if it's loaded appropriately.

I have a couple hundred jumps on Spectres and overall I'd say that the Storm is a refined Spectre with slightly quicker openings and a stronger flare.

but with respect I learnt how to fly it, not once slammed in.

This is a scary statement. You have 90 jumps over 2 years and believe you have developed the skills to fly a canopy loaded at 1.4. When the shit hits the fan things can happen really, really quick.

Vaya Con Dios

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

ok in response to potatoe man, im sure if i could i would choose something above my skill level (not that bad)

but i have the same mentality, i think i would be ok teaching myself on a hp canopy, but i think its time for me to make a smarter decision for once, not really a sport for much error..i think ill take it slower then you hah..

i just need something a bit more forgiving because i think im cool and i try stupid stuff. cool ok thanks

are 7 cells unswoopable?

I just spent a couple of weekends with a demo Storm 135 and my impression is that it's a perfect first canopy, if it's loaded appropriately.

I have a couple hundred jumps on Spectres and overall I'd say that the Storm is a refined Spectre with slightly quicker openings and a stronger flare.

A follow-up question, since I've been thinking about switching to a Spectre for softer openings, but now I'm intrigued by the Storm:

since you found the Storm to have quicker openings, did you find the Storm's openings to be as soft or less soft than your Spectre?