NewGuy2005

PD Storm

I wonder what the trade off is...

In my mind if it flies like a 9 cell, it may display less of the more desirable 7 cell flight and opening characteristics?

Did they reinvent the diablo?? ;);):D

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I wonder what the trade off...

In my mind if it flies like a 9 cell, it may display less of the desirable 7 cell opening characteristics?

Did they reinvent the diablo?? ;);)

Nope, it's not a 'new' Diablo.

I'll know for sure after jumping it, but my understanding is that it's in the middle of a Sabre2 and a Spectre performance wise (much more bottom end than a Spectre).

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

In my mind if it flies like a 9 cell, it may display less of the more desirable 7 cell flight and opening characteristics?

Keep in mind that skydiving canopies are not always for swooping. Majority of the skydivers don't swoop.

I'm excited about this canopy, and want to demo one when the hype clears out (or if Nick brings one to our boogie).
I fly a triathlon now, but have also enjoyed flying a pilot, so I will be curious to see how this sucker is :)

I'm excited about this canopy, and want to demo one when the hype clears out (or if Nick brings one to our boogie).
I fly a triathlon now, but have also enjoyed flying a pilot, so I will be curious to see how this sucker is :)

I had a Pilot and I have a Triathlon. More I jump more I like. No swooping involved, jump stepping down.

Keep in mind that skydiving canopies are not always for swooping. Majority of the skydivers don't swoop.

I wasn't talking about swooping Gabor, where do you see that in my question?

I was just wondering if there was a possible trade off between flight characterstics and opening characteristics. For example, 9 cells are generally more responsive then your average 7 cell, excluding exceptions like the diablo. But they give up a bit of opening consistancy compared to an average 7 cell. :)
I don't need my next canopy to swoop, I have two of those now, I need one that opens nice...
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Parachutes where the initial flare height is non-critical are easier to land.

One way to get there is with a canopy that lands nice in a sink. You can take a big F111 seven cell loaded around .7-.9 pounds/square foot, stop going forwards about 5' over the target, and gently sink the rest of the way in. Most skydivers don't want to jump boat-like canopies so that's not an option.

The other way is with a canopy that swoops on landing. Pull on the toggles until it flattens out closish to the ground, descend to ground level, and keep adding flare until you finish. This works well out past two pounds per square foot.

Something which doesn't offer either option makes getting the flare height and timing right much more important. Just watch people trying to land lightnings on hot high no wind days...

How did the storm handle in comparison to other 7 cells?

Those in the Colorado Area... The three day weekend of July 11th, I am hosting a PD Demo Day at Mile Hi Skydiving. With a bit of luck, the Storms will be one of the 20 or so canopies available to jump.

I know I will jump one, and I think everyone else wants to too..... Everyone is invited, so keep in touch if you are at a neighboring city/state and want to come have fun!

How did the storm handle in comparison to other 7 cells?

A number of national teams will be using the PD Storm in September's World CF Competition.

So far the reviews are positive with respect to CF Performance compared to the Triathlons. (Better flare, better response, etc).

Should be some good write-ups over the next couple of months as they test the edge of the envelope.

Blue Ones

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

DougH... It opens very very sweeeet! Just got my demo on friday and jumped it yesterday! I demod the SA2190 and Spec190 last season and I can honestly say that the STORM is definately an in between type canopy! I was a lil concerned with my first opening because my pc is a big one (33" standard ZPwith hacky RI) so needless to say i was ready for a slammer in the crotch, but that didnt happen, of course i was not at terminal either.... Packing has a lot to do with openings, i think we all know this by now!! I rolled the nose maybe half to one full roll but it probably came out when I layed it down tho, but anyway it opens really nice.
Today I will get some more time on the STORM and will creep up my deployment speed a little bit more on each jump... The flair is also nice too! Now mind all of you that this 170 is still set at the factory brake settings so I was deep in the toggles and had a nice smooth runout.

THANK YOU KimmyKim and all at the R&D team at PD!! You all have hit the target with this canopy as far as a nice allround design for weekend jumpers and perhaps the PROS!!!!;)B|

YOU guys ROCKKKKKKK!!!!

Overall, what I think about the STORM is this;

I AM BUYING ONEB|B|B|

you know according to the PD rep that I talked to the most important things to keep the canopy from slamming you is to keep the slider all the way up and quatered properly, then make sure your lines are stowed across the D-bag nice neatly and most importantly tightly.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Just had the chance to demo a Storm this weekend, since the PD guys came to our dz. I gotta say I totally loved it.
I normally jump a Spectre 150 which I'm only loading about 1.1, and I don't do any swooping so don't ask me about that kind of stuff, but otherwise here's what I thought:
- awesome awesome openings. I don't remember my Spectre ever opening that nicely. On 2 jumps I even kinda trash-packed the Storm, hurrying to get on a load, and it still opened veeery very nicely, soft and exactly on-heading.
- handling it felt pretty solid.
I felt the front riser pressure was a bit higher than my spectre, but then again I'm a girl with really weak arms who doesn't use those fronts that much anyway, so this may be irrelevant.
- excellent flare

overall, all characteristics felt better than my spectre

Just had the chance to demo a Storm this weekend, since the PD guys came to our dz. I gotta say I totally loved it.
I normally jump a Spectre 150 which I'm only loading about 1.1, and I don't do any swooping so don't ask me about that kind of stuff, but otherwise here's what I thought:
- awesome awesome openings. I don't remember my Spectre ever opening that nicely. On 2 jumps I even kinda trash-packed the Storm, hurrying to get on a load, and it still opened veeery very nicely, soft and exactly on-heading.
- handling it felt pretty solid.
I felt the front riser pressure was a bit higher than my spectre, but then again I'm a girl with really weak arms who doesn't use those fronts that much anyway, so this may be irrelevant.
- excellent flare

overall, all characteristics felt better than my spectre

Is it trimmed steeper (more ground hungry) than the Spectre? Also what about the flair, did the sweet spot seem a lot lower?

Is it trimmed steeper (more ground hungry) than the Spectre? Also what about the flair, did the sweet spot seem a lot lower?

I put 10 jumps on a 210 (1.3) this past weekend, and it certainly seems less steep to me, which may account for the higher front riser pressure. The front riser pressure is at least as high or higher than my 230 Spectre, which is 20sf bigger. It is very responsive on fronts though...

The flare is considerably different than that on my Spectre. I think I get as much or more early in the stroke on my Spectre, but it runs out at the bottom and is pretty much done at the end of the stroke. The Storm is NOT done there, in fact, it's just getting started. I was unimpressed with the landings until about the 4th or 5th one, when I figured out that I was not finishing the flare. It's got lots more to offer, very deep in the stroke. Very, very deep, with it set up on short risers (20") like it came.

It's a fun canopy to fly! I did a H&P from 4 grand, and had it diving so hard at 3 grand that my Protrack went off, telling me to pull. :P

I'll do a full review after I jump it again next weekend...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

I jumped a Storm 190 yesterday. Good canopy.

It felt "zippy" like a Sabre2 that opened like a Spectre and flew like a modern 7-cell. The toggle stroke was long and powerful on the bottom, its stall recovery was predictable and the opening was really good.

This is going to be a very popular canopy, especially for the wingsuit and camera flier crowds.

Edit: I was flying the 190 at a 1.5 wingloading, which I know is reasonably different then a lot of people would be flying.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Put 5 jumps on the Storm. I liked it very much: excellent opening, very strong flare even on a hot day with no wind at Gap (1800ft altitude) even loaded at 1.5, very reactive on front risers.

The only thing I didn't is the fabric that makes packing a bit awkward (especially when the aspect ratio is different from the 9 cells I'm used to)

I rolled the nose maybe half to one full roll...

Why?:S

ummmm... old habit was hard to break away from! Anywho, on my next 8 jumps I didnt rol and I really felt no difference.

BROKE... THX dude! ;)

Anyway folks, I sent the STORM back last week and this is the first chance at a puter in awhile! Of all of the ten jumps I made, the last seven were endcell closures. It went like this R R L L/R L R R... Now if this is from NOT rolling the nose, I do not know.

I will learn more about WHY this happens. I still plan on buying a new one as my last remaining funds build.. This is an absolutely sweeeet canopy for me.

I heard some talk in here awhile back about South African ZP material... Whats uP with that? Good stuff or what? Is this what PD uses or do I have a choice or what? I suppose I could call kolla about it or kim maybe... I cant seem to find that thread about it!

The STORM B|(in my lil expierence) is the one for me!

peace and happy 4th all

:DD