peckerhead

Is your Mom cool with you skydiving?

I still scare the shit out of my mom... I mean she has seen my jump only about 6 times in the last 32 years.. but it still scares the bejeezus out of her...
And this from a woman who can just kick ass at the tiller on a 22' sloop under full sail crossing the Columbia River Bar with 15 to 20' waves that are crossing and breaking...

There were three rules in my house growing up...one of them was that I would never skydive. She HATED it. She watched my second AFF jump and said, "That is the coolest thing I have ever seen...you have to keep doing this!" Now she's been 5 times, and her walls are all plastered with pictures.

-S

Guest 1010

After 24 years my mom still asks:

How many jumps do you have to make before you can quit?

That's exactly what my sweet Mom is wondering, I am sure. Since I just started she knows I won't be stopping it very soon. I have showed her the gear ... how strong it is ... and explained the various parts and their functions to her. Turned on the Vigil, etc. She particularly likes the AAD being there. :o :D (No let's not drag this thread that way. This is a Mom thread!)

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

She's really proud of me, but it still scares her that I skydive. The first question on most Sunday evening phone-calls is 'are you finished jumping'?

Before she visited the DZ, she really couldn't understand why I did it. After spending a day there, she took me aside and said she could understand why I jumped. It was the social side of dropzone life; the fact that people she'd never met approached my Dad and her while I was in the air, just to chat, that really impressed her. That and the fact that I was so obviously passionate about something so seemingly crazy that swayed her :)

I always get the "how many jumps will be enough?" question from my mother and grandmother... but I think they are also happy that skydiving has kept me away from the two things that they really want me to stop (racing cars and motorcycles), so they don't really bug me to stop skydiving.

My mom is very proud, but it still scares her!

She knows I am capable, but she knows the risks involved.

She is very supportive though - Not to the point of buying me jumps though!!

:D

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

I had the pleasure of jumping with my mom a couple months ago. My bro came out, he jumps too, and we did a tandem with her. I led the exit to get them exiting, and bro did a nice dock on TM hand with a couple spins. All planned of course. We got some cool footage and my mom had an amazing experience that she vows to do it once a year.

Whats the coolest, is now I have been able to give my mom the ability to understand what it is that drives us. Until then, she couldn't grasp it.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

my mom is scared but understanding.

When i did my tandem with my dad she elected to stay home. She has seen my videos but to this day has not been out to the dropzone.

my brother keeps changing his mind. One year he thinks i'm nuts the next he is trying to loose weight so he can go do a tandem.

My dad is all for it as he did a tandem with me and did a few static line jumps back in the day. He also scuba dives which drives my mom nuts. She is a bit of a scardy cat when it comes to living life but i love her anyway.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

My mum hates it. She's offered me money to quit skydiving many times. She makes me send her a text message every day when I finish jumping but I usually forget. :S
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

My mom's finally cool with the skydiving thing now....

But she wants to know how many BASE jumps till I can quit :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"

I been slowly working at getitng my license etc and my mom will prolly kick me out of home if I told her the full story. Add to this that the dropzone is an hour and a half away and I am now gifted when it comes to excuses for being away form home. She hated it when I did my first jump...the only one she knows for sure about... She hates it and probably always will. Im certain she will never do even a tandem and to ensure my sanity I just don't tell her. I won't even try to discuss it because all she does is talk bullshit about stuff that her brother told her back in the day when he was a para regarding rounds and ankles mainly. So shes of the midset that she knows all about skydiving and that certain death awaits all its participants. Whom she classifies as useless layabouts that take needless excessive risks in the name of bravado.

For me it's just not worth having her worry and piss me off when all I have to do to prevent it is not say anything...
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

My mom was the one who first got me out to the DZ. My dad got her a tandem for a anniversary present. I just had to wait til I was 18 and finally did one myself. My lil sister decided that if I could handle it, then so could she, so for her 18th birthday (last October) my mom, lil sister, and me, all did a tandem together. As soon as I landed on my second tandem, I knew I was hooked. I basicly ran to manifest and scheduled my AFF classes. My parents come out when they can, and are really supportive of my jumping. I think its more because they worry so much about being in the ARMY that as long as I am home, they dont care what I do!

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

My mom (Dad, too) is terrified and thus very unsupportive of my jumping. She keeps telling me I have a kid to think about (as if I didn't know). But, I realize that she just doesn't understand all the safety requirements & such that go along with the sport. Every weekend she calls and asks if I'm still alive and tells me I "really need to quit." But we don't argue about it or anything ... we just agree to disagree.

One who looks for a friend without faults will have none. -- Hasidic Saying

My Mum was terified when I did my first jump. She couldnt think straight at work because she was worrying and when I came back that evening and told her that although Id been at the DZ all day I hadnt jumped, but I did have my first packing lesson, she looked gutted, as if to say... so ive got to worry all day tomorrow now too.

Shes cool with it now, but if she knows im going to jump she is still scared. Bless. Normally I go during the week so first she knows is when I come home beaming and hyper occasionally with a video.

I think if it wasnt for the video she'd be even worse. Its nice for her to watch and see what its really like. It looks amazing and actually quite calm on the video so that helps.

She also will have a moan to her friends saying that I cause her so much stress but underlying in that moan is her excitedly bragging!

I always do things to worry my Mum though, thats what im for!

My parents don't seem to have a huge issue with my skydiving habit but I did try and explain to her once that I could do everything right and still end up injured or dead... and she started pushing me to change the subject...

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Both my parents have been very supportive of me jumping since day one, probably because I used to talk about it so much that they accepted a long time ago it would be something that I would start doing. Kinda weird though because when I was little they were always trying to wrap me and my sister in cotton wool, we were barely allowed to do any cool stuff!

She particularly likes the AAD being there.

Hehe, my dads the same way. Strange, I have no problem talking to them about my desire to start BASE jumping but I'd rather not tell my dad that I occasionally jump without an AAD:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?