dzkid39

16 year old skydivers

Damn at 16 I could barely afford snacks after school, let alone skydiving.

Yeah, well I never even got to the cost factor. They only offered static line at that time, but I don't know how much it cost. (There was no way my mom was signing the papers anyway!) But that's why I didn't do it as soon as I turned 18 - couldn't afford it. Then when I was 19, Visa for some stupid reason decided to send me a credit card... so of course I called the dz to see if they took Visa and they did... Oops. >:(

the dzo made a special case for me bacause i grew up at the dz. my dad and mom started skydiving when i was one. i was packing sence i was 13 and was the only packer on our dz sence i was 14. so he trusted me not to sue him.

I like the idea of kids learning to skydive. Look at kids who start snowboarding or skating at an early age -- they get WICKED GOOD at it!

It's cool that you have the attitude you state above. I don't mean to second guess you but I do want to raise the idea that circumstances, especially bad ones, have a knack for making people change their minds about things that they thought they were resolute about. I hope nothing ever happens to make you decide, "Oh, you know, on second thought, I am gonna sue the DZO for x, y or z," but the possibility, for many people who say it is not possible, is very real.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I like the idea of kids learning to skydive. Look at kids who start snowboarding or skating at an early age -- they get WICKED GOOD at it!

I agree completely.

Funny how parent can take their children skiing or swimming, but skydiving is viewed entirely from a different perspective.

I always had the asumption that scuba diving was more dangerous. Mind you we are the only sport that place incidents in their national magazines (at least that I know of). Mind you I have seen a number of adults that do not have the maturity to skydive let alone people under 18. But I do listen to the airforce cadets seeing other skydivers swoop and so forth saying that they will try that next. I know sometimes they are only talking big but you place peer presure or something similar in there and it could get messy.

I would not have trusted myself skydiving at 16 (and I had a firm view on life) and I definately would never have trusted any of my school mates at 16 skydiving. Having said that I see some dz kids who you could tell would be great, they have seen the ups and downs of the sport and can put actions and reactions into perspective.

Why is it not acceptable to let your kid skydive but, they can scuba dive at eight. Isn't that almost as dangerous.

I believe the minimum age for SCUBA diving (at least in the USA) is twelve. You have more time to react to emergencies in scuba diving than during skydiving. You also have what they call the buddy system in SCUBA diving, where you can work together for survival in the event of an emergency. In skydiving if you have an emergency, you are on your own. I started diving at 17 and jumping at 18.

Skydiving happens in more places than just the US.

Where I jump, there is no minimum age for Tandem - and AFF/Sl age is 16.

t

yeah in the UK its 16 with parental approval, and 18 without. suing isnt so fasionable as it is in the US either!

i was in the Czech rep in the summer for pete marsdens boogie, and there was a 15 year old kid doin AFF, since he cant jump in britain till hes 16, hes been abroad 3 times [czech and spain twice] and has over 100 jumps now

little bastard ;)
www.ewancowie.com
www.facebook.com/ewancowiephotography

I started jumping solo when I was 18... I did my first tandem at 17 (semi-pirate jump). One thing I have thought about a bit is that at an earlier age, did I have enough of an understanding of this 'death' concept that we flirt with everytime we leave the plane to make a responsible decision to jump. I personally gained that understanding between my tandem and first solo jump- which is why I went out the door with a smile on my face for the tandem, and almost peed myself on the solo. But the smile is back now...;)
We're (us young 'uns) still very vulnerable to feeling invincible, which history has shown is not terribly beneficial to one's health. I used to feel invincible too, but I've had a few experiences that very quickly put that fallacy in it's place... and luckily I'm still around to continue learning.

Nonetheless, to the kids out there lucky enough that have yet to turn 18 and have 200+ jumps I say: make sure that you command the respect that you deserve around the DZ, because you guys are the next generation of butt-kickers on the PST...

My son is 16 and made his first jump in August. We're a little far away to jump with you but being from Canada the minimum age to jump is 16 with parental consent and we too are not as likely to sue as others on our continent.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Hey I am 16 and have been jumping for about 6 months I have 70 jumps. My dad is a retired golden knight. I made my first tandem when I was 13 my second when I was 15 and went through AFF on my 16th Birthday... I have been packing since I was 12 and think that 16 is the perfect age to start skydiving. And I think its kool kids our age are into such a kick ass sport. I would love to jump with someone my own age... so I am waiting for my best friend to go through AFF...:P

Fall

"get off my nutz"

Hey Im sky_chica's best friend. Thanks to her i jumped out of plane and i liked it so Im gonna do it again when i get the money. Who would have thought Im only 17 jumping out planes? I plan to start AFF soon, but as anyone knows its quite a pretty penny to do all that to get off student status. Hopefully ill get that done soon so we can make our bestfriends jump lol. How ya like that Fall? Anyhow, i think its rad that kids our age are jumping and if anyone can give me any tips or (donations)meaning $$$$(lol) for jumps let me know, im open to anything. ;)

"Your a virgin?!?, Im gonna have to confiscate that from you immediately"

meaning $$$$(lol) for jumps let me know, im open to anything.

Oh forgive her...she knows not what she has said!

The skydiving bug is a dangerous thing once you've been bitten, but...be careful what you promise to do for jump tickets....someone will take you up on it! :D;):D

Bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity!
~DEVIOUS BEEF~~FGF #69~

My one daughter is turning 15 Jan 3rd and can't wait to jump. She is waiting, wanting and sad to be watching as my other daughter will be jumping May 12th (her 18th birthday).
I wish to God that I could have started when I was in High school (but then again I may have never done Bobsled due to that becomming my 1st love)

Chica,

I think its a valid point that 16 may be a valid age for some people, but definately not for all. Your dad being a skydiver, and your life around the DZ I think would have alot to do with the frame of mind you have about skydiving. However I know alot of people (over and under 18) who definately do not have the frame of mind (not skydivers and hence why I do not encourage them to come to the DZ).

I believe this applies to all sports and things we do in life. They have to have the respect for their own skill, others, and the natural elements, in order to give and recieve from the sport.

I mean have a look at driving. There are alot of people who wont do stupid things behind the wheel when they get their license at 16/18 but then again there are alot that will. Now we may get laws to prevent hp cars to be placed in the hands of provisional license holders. If you look at the son/daughter of a racing car driver, I would bet they have had the training and have learnt the respect for the road and car not to be a git behind the wheel of a hp car. And because of others these people have to wait 3 years before they can get a hp car.

So if you start skydiving young, you are so lucky. I personally would suggest to think of yourselves as rolemodels for your age group. I would suggest to ensure you uphold a good reputation so you do not ruin it for others. As I have said before I have met DZ kids, and DZ kids who now skydive and you can definately tell they have lived the DZ atmosphere.

3rd generation of skydivers (well my grandad jumping from hercs at 800ft doesn't quite count as skydiving, I suppose I should say 3rd generation of parachuters)

Tandem at 12, packing from 11, S/L course at 16.

My daughter is going in the wind tunnell on sat at the age of 5 - maybe one day she'll become the 4th generation :)

Hey Im sky_chica's best friend. Thanks to her i jumped out of plane and i liked it so Im gonna do it again when i get the money. Who would have thought Im only 17 jumping out planes? I plan to start AFF soon, but as anyone knows its quite a pretty penny to do all that to get off student status. Hopefully ill get that done soon so we can make our bestfriends jump lol. How ya like that Fall? Anyhow, i think its rad that kids our age are jumping and if anyone can give me any tips or (donations)meaning $$$$(lol) for jumps let me know, im open to anything.

that's awesome that your starting jumping, not many kids our age will, or even can because of their parents.

i'm going to have to drive down to rafeord sometime this summer to jump with some people my age ;)

you need to start packing, that way the dzo *maybe* will let you kind of rack up a bill for you jumps and you can just pack to pay it off..........i know jaime let a kid do that here in richmond that started jumping when he was 16, he learned how to pack so pay for his AFF..........he also got to be friends with some AFF instuctors to where he only had to pay for 2 jumps to go make his next skydive.......so that's an idea.

good luck with your jumps, if i was old enough to be an aff instuctor i'd come spend a day jumping with you........but since i'm not, good luck finding some bling bling for jumps ;)

later

Skydiving happens in more places than just the US.

Where I jump, there is no minimum age for Tandem - and AFF/Sl age is 16.

t

Yep. My son did his entire S/L to freefall progression over a 4-day long-weekend at your DZ - He was 16 at the time. Alas, I had to ground him soon afterwards because his school-work was suffering.

Yep. My son did his entire S/L to freefall progression over a 4-day long-weekend at your DZ - He was 16 at the time. Alas, I had to ground him soon afterwards because his school-work was suffering.

Boooo!!! ;) Actually i think thats fair enough.
A kitesurfer i know who is 15 or 16 now was told by his dad he could kitesurf as much as he want as long as he kept his grades up. So he did distance learning whil training in south africa, gets good grades and kitesurfs all day long.

Oh and incidentally for anyone who knows the sport, his name is Aaron Hadlow and he just won the world tour!

That kind of incentive works for some.....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Good advice Kelly. My dad paid for my course as a b'day pressie then I packed to pay for the rest of the jumps. I had a jump bill and everytime I did a pack job it got taken off my jump bill. Sometimes if the bill got a bit too large the airfield phoned my dad and asked him to make a contribution although usually I would then get a phonecall from my dad telling me not to jump so much.

I lived on the airfield for about 6 months, working in the cafe and packing the parachutes. It wasn't ideal but great fun.....had to go and get one of those real jobs in the end though :(

thanks, it would be awesome but hopefully if you do head down here, ill already be off student status? Hmmm thats about 2 grand in the hole, so i might be poor then, i have though, just filled out paperwork to start officially packin for raeford and hopefully i can rack up some "bling bling" for AFF course jumps.
thanks for the advice.;)

"Your a virgin?!?, Im gonna have to confiscate that from you immediately"