Wool-E

Tom Petty vs. Skydiving

Ok, admittedly this is presumptuous, but are we all not sick and tired of the Tom Petty song "Freefallin'"? Some jumpin' buddies of mine loathe the song all together, and I'm sure many others just dispise it on videos and probably some still like / love it! Don't get me wrong, it's a great song and kudos to Tom Petty; it's just, as a skydiver, I burnt out on it long ago. Matter of fact, I was once at Z-hill's new year's shindig and they had a DJ that played freefallin and he got boo'ed!

If you're just starting out skydiving, chances are, you still love the song and get inspired when you hear it on the way to the dropzone. But you'll probably find after hearing it on countless skydiving videos (especially tandems), you'll tire of it, then begin to curse the cacophonous din...ok, well, it might not come to that exactly.

BUT, my question is, for those out there that feel as I do about "Freefallin", what about other Tom Petty songs? In general and for skydiving videos. Learning to Fly, Into the Great Wide Open...

Do these songs still turn you on, or has the ad infinitum "And I'm freeeeeee...freee-falliinnn'" broke your heart (get it?!)

Yeah! I just about sick of that country song about it.
You know the one......I went skydiving, I went rocky mountian climbing, I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named fu man chu. It seams that everyother tandem picks that song.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

See also "Castles in the Sky" (maybe Ivan van Dahl? some dodgy Eurotrancer, anyway :P). May I never hear it again.

I'm not even a long-term skydiver and I hear what you're sayin' already.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Tell ya what.. next time you hear the song, replace "freeFALLin" with "FreeBALLin".. which will make you think of walking around with no underwear and thats a nice feeling isnt it? ;)

I'm out there Jerry - and I'm lovin' it!! :D :D :D

I agree that Freefallin' has been overdone, and it's not really about skydiving anyway. Hell, I remember reading on here a while back that the DJ at Skydive Atlanta during a party put on Van Halen's "Jump" which promptly got shouted down during the opening chords... :S

How about "I won't back down" by the Traveling Wilburys (which had Jeff Lynn, Ringo Starr and Tom Petty). I used it once in a tandem video where the student was this little bitty 100 lb 4'-10" tall girl... She loved it. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Never much liked that song. I always liked "learning to fly" from that album better.

Yeah, it's good, but I liked Pink Floyd's "Learning To Fly" better... it even has a crescendo that sounds almost like a plane taking off, in addition to a kick-ass opening...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I hear what you are saying I will be riding in the car with my girlfriend and a song will come on and we will look at each otehr and say....Tandem Song...and change it...ha ha ha its pretty funny actually. But it does get rather old.
Yeah...You need to grow up. -Skymama

Check out "Falling Free" From the Alan Parson's Project album "On Air", It's dedicated to Rob Harris.

Fall Free
What's the use of worrying If we'll be here tomarrow All we need to be is here today Don't care if you're rich Or if you have to beg and borrow You can always find a way Dive and breakaway Fall free Freedom's in the air It's calling you Your heart is there Fall free Blaze accross the sky The perfect fall The perfect high Mother earth looks peaceful As we climb towards the ceiling We must be ten thousand feet or more Hear the windrush screaming While we fight to curb our feelings As we stand beside the door Let our spirits soar Fall free Freedom's in the air It's calling you Your heart is there Fall free Blaze accross the sky The perfect fall The perfect high
(Inspired by Rob Harris, World Champion Skysurfer)

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

You would get sick of anything if you heard it almost daily (or more often).

the song STILL does not bother me enough to BOO someone for playing it. as far as tandem video we don't even offer the song for the video but if someone asked to have it put on I wouldn't kick him in the balls...unless he was a complete dickhead who was disrepecting everyone I know and love.

My photos

My Videos

Tell ya what.. next time you hear the song, replace "freeFALLin" with "FreeBALLin".. which will make you think of walking around with no underwear and thats a nice feeling isnt it? ;)

Only you kitty...

Rock out with your cock out!

it is Friday aint it? B|
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Whenever I hear a tandem request Tom Petty, I tell them that's a violation of the Overused Tandem Music Act of 1998.

Check out "Falling Free" From the Alan Parson's Project album "On Air", It's dedicated to Rob Harris.

Fall Free
What's the use of worrying If we'll be here tomarrow All we need to be is here today Don't care if you're rich Or if you have to beg and borrow You can always find a way Dive and breakaway Fall free Freedom's in the air It's calling you Your heart is there Fall free Blaze accross the sky The perfect fall The perfect high Mother earth looks peaceful As we climb towards the ceiling We must be ten thousand feet or more Hear the windrush screaming While we fight to curb our feelings As we stand beside the door Let our spirits soar Fall free Freedom's in the air It's calling you Your heart is there Fall free Blaze accross the sky The perfect fall The perfect high
(Inspired by Rob Harris, World Champion Skysurfer)

CLICK HERE to listen to it. But I'd better not find out anybody has started using this song, inspired by the life and death of one of the most gifted people to ever grace our sport, in tandem videos. I'd hate to have to kill again.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

While we're at it, can we petition USPA to ground the next person who puts No Doubt's 'Just A Girl' on a tandem video for a 35 year old woman?
.......or any woman for that matter......?
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

I was always pissed off that the video is about a bunch of kids with skateboards at some skating pit. I mean fuck, the guy's just up the road from Perris and Elsinore and he can't put "freefallin'" together with skydiving ? What a fuckin' loser !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

> Check out "Falling Free" From the Alan Parson's Project album "On Air" . . .

"Icarus" and "one day to fly" work well too.

Icarus

Can we learn to stay behind the line?
For if we have the means to fly
Some of us will surely die
Being reckless was his only crime

But when the wind gets under these wings
We will find what freedom brings
Stay right by me walk don't run
I don't want you flying too close to the sun

One day to fly

The man must be insane; who knows
A mind alive with images so strange, so close
But never rode the sky

Watching the birds as they sail on the wind
Trying to figure out the reason why
Picturing wings held together with string
One day to fly

Seal Crazy

In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?
In a world full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?
Crazy...
In a heaven of people there’s only some want to fly,
Ain’t that crazy?

Oh babe... oh darlin...
In a world full of people there’s only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?
Isn’t that crazy... isn’t that crazy... isn’t that crazy...