diablopilot

WTF is curling all about?

It's like darts, but instead of throwing darts you push rocks on ice, and you can have your rock hitting other's rocks.. Oh yeah and it shows women that men can also use a broom.
And it was a great sport, the swiss were the olympic champions in 98 in Nagano. Now it's over. Like Olympic Tennis with Marc Rosset, and ski jumping with Simon Amman. Now all these sports are over.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

It's wonderful. It's the only Olympic sport that can legitimately involve beer.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dude. It's a great, great sport. It's like shuffleboard, only with 40 pound rocks. I love it.

Just watch it and you'll get into it. You should try it sometime to get an appreciation of the skill involved. And, you can drink beer while playing it!

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And on tv the speeds are deceptively slow. those stones are really FLYING down those lanes!!! it's actually quite dangerous, really! i've known people who have been hit by the stones that have had their legs snapped clean off! and then they show the broom sweepers, they are sweeping the ice SO fast, the camera guys actually have to slow the tape down just so the audience can even SEE what's going on. Otherwise it would just be a blur. They used to have stones that didn't have carbon fiber encasements. Boy, THAT was a mistake. When one stone would crash into another stone, all hell would break loose! The stones would shatter and splinter, shards would launch into the crowds, people would loose eyes, kids would be paralyzed, it was much like a barbaric Gallagher comedy show. Sometimes, they'd put explosived in the stones so that when they hit other stones, if members of the other team were standing nearby, when the incoming stone would hit, it would detonate, killing everyone in a 10 foot radius. THOSE, my friend, were the days. Also, you used to have to come to a curling match w/ a litter of stray kittens to offer to the curling Gods. When you launched your stones, you had to have a kitten attached to the outside of the stone, and you received extra points if your kitten survived that match w/o being bludgeoned by other stones. We lost most rounds. Curling is still pretty exciting, but not nearly as much as it used to be. But, that's what curling is all about!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

And on tv the speeds are deceptively slow. those stones are really FLYING down those lanes!!! it's actually quite dangerous, really! i've known people who have been hit by the stones that have had their legs snapped clean off! and then they show the broom sweepers, they are sweeping the ice SO fast, the camera guys actually have to slow the tape down just so the audience can even SEE what's going on. Otherwise it would just be a blur. They used to have stones that didn't have carbon fiber encasements. Boy, THAT was a mistake. When one stone would crash into another stone, all hell would break loose! The stones would shatter and splinter, shards would launch into the crowds, people would loose eyes, kids would be paralyzed, it was much like a barbaric Gallagher comedy show. Sometimes, they'd put explosived in the stones so that when they hit other stones, if members of the other team were standing nearby, when the incoming stone would hit, it would detonate, killing everyone in a 10 foot radius. THOSE, my friend, were the days. Also, you used to have to come to a curling match w/ a litter of stray kittens to offer to the curling Gods. When you launched your stones, you had to have a kitten attached to the outside of the stone, and you received extra points if your kitten survived that match w/o being bludgeoned by other stones. We lost most rounds. Curling is still pretty exciting, but not nearly as much as it used to be. But, that's what curling is all about!

LMAO!
~Dale

LMAO!

I crack myself up too :D btw, love the APC sig line. they kick ass.

And for the rest of the curling/skydiving world (boy, wouldn't THAT be a great sports overlap... swoop on down to release a curling stone... yikes!)...

Anyone know of any curline related injury? I mean, wouldnt' that be embarassing? Dude or Dudette slips on the ice, hits head on ice, then gets head smashed w/ curling stone. Eek! What do those things weigh anyway?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Dude. It's a great, great sport. It's like shuffleboard

It's not a sport, it is grown people playing with rocks. :S:P

Sparky

Sparky, I mean, "Eh, Skip?" FOr an old goat like you it oughtta be a good time. I'll tell you what - I'll try to find a local arena where we can go curling. You bring the beer, I'll bring the rocks.

Edited to add: who's gonna bring the gals?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Well?

It's an excuse to go drinking in the winter.

It's actually a lot of fun and is much more of a finesse and strategy sport than you'd think.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey