purplened

Mirage Owners

I'm looking for some pros and cons feedback on Mirage owners. I did a search on line, and while I read a bunch, most were new owners, and newer jumpers.

I've jumped a Voodoo for 4 years now, LOVE it, and was ordering a new Talon FS - but with a 17 week waiting time, I'm reconsidering. I phoned Mirage and they're only 10 week and I was thinking about them versus RI product previously anyway.

Just curious to hear from anyone who has jumped one for a while, how it's lasted, stayed comfortable, any cons to it.

BTW - I do all RW work, so no concerns about free flying, and I jump a Spectre 135, and will be buying an Optimum 143, and I'm only 5'3, so short!!

Appreciate the feedback,

Cheers!
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

I'm looking for some pros and cons feedback on Mirage owners

I don't like most Mirage owners.
I think most Mirage owners think they're better than Wings owners.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I don't like most Mirage owners.
I think most Mirage owners think they're better than Wings owners.

Do you mean Star-bellied Sneetches?

I buy all my gear from Sylvester McMonkey McBean, the fix-it-up chappie.
__

My mighty steed

OK fine, it IS morning here, and I've only had one coffee!

Let me rephrase in proper English:

I'm looking for feedback from Mirage owners, about the Mirage Rig. I'd like to hear pros and cons from jumpers who have owned a Mirage for a while and done a fair bit of jumping in it.

Thanks!
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Keeping the reserve flaps wrinkle free is difficult on some sizes. Once the famous large winkle forms on one packjob, it tends to last forever on all further packjobs.

Other than that, I have seen no major differences between Mirages and the other top-of-the-line makes in terms of lasting. They all need preventive and regular maintenance around 500-1000 jumps - a stitch here, a stiffener there...

(Oh, don't do neon colors. My friend got orange and black, and mirage used the neon orange when he wanted the rusty deep orange. It still looked cool, believe it or not, so he kept it... But half way thru the first season it started to fade. On it's second reserve packjob, you could see "lines" on the flaps where the color was exposed to the sun, and he packed indoors and treated his rig with kid gloves. But I think this would be true for any manufacture).

AND - as he said... Mirage owners tend to be a pain in the butt - like Volvo owners...:P (Could not resist)

a new Talon FS - but with a 17 week waiting time, I'm reconsidering.

I say - if all things being equal - you NEED to buy from the company with the shorter waiting period.

Mirage will hold its own against a Talon any day...

If they SUPPORT their customers with BETTER lead times because of BETTER management of their factories or whatever, you should SUPPORT THEM with your business.

One of my biggest complaints about all manufactures is the quote 15 weeks and take 20 weeks trend they all seem to have. Mirage has never done that to my friends who have ordered, so give them the money because they are being responsive.

THE ONLY WAY to get manufactures to be motivated to be more responsive in this fast paced world is to support the ones who are, and let the others know why you gave the business to them.

That is my two cents.

One of my biggest complaints about all manufactures is the quote 15 weeks and take 20 weeks trend they all seem to have.

Dolphin? ;)
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Of the 2 rigs, the VooDoo is more comfortable. They're both fine rigs but my preference leans toward the VooDoo, or in your case, the Talon FS, for comfort and rigging ease.

Many VooDoo owners that have switched to Mirage comment they VooDoo was much more comfortable.

Good luck. You'll be fine with either.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I bought my Mirage Jan 1998 and it still looks practically brand new 10 years later. Not even considering buying a new rig, I love my Mirage!

If you put 200 on a new rig and it doesn't look great, it would be a freak occurrance.

My XRS Javelin looked great at 200 so did my other Jav and my wings W1 looked super. If you only put on a few jumps a year and are very careful any rig will last forever. I am going to get another Wings next year and finally retire the XRS (1996, 3000+jumps).

Never had a Mirage, sorry.
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

Bought mine in 2002. It looks like new (except where I have used the brush-o-shame on it)

I am a rigger and I like packing the Mirage but you will find as many that do not like packing them.

I for one will not buy a new one however because of where the cypress cuttere was moved to and why. But that is just me.

But the rig itself? One of the top consructed rigs I have seen. and that is saying alot with the qualitiy that is out there. I would buy dam near anything on the market in the US today. The manufactures are doing great work
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

I own an older Mirage G3. Its about 13 years old and still works great.

I do camera work, freefly, RW, and wingsuit jumps in it and have encountered no problems.

Original Velcro still works gret. No flaps have ever opened when they shouldn't.

Have had two cut aways with it where no problems
were encountered.

Stitching has stayed togather great.

Only con is how bulky they can be.

I just ordered a brand new Infinity because they are very sleek, comfortable, and very easy for riggers to repack.

Mirage is nice - Infinity is better in my opinion.

BTW-Mirage beats a Talon any day.

I own a Mirage G4, manufactured in '02. I love it! I bought it used, it had about 100 jumps on it, and I've put about 400 on it. Mine never formed the infamous wrinkle, but I have had a rigger complain about packing the reserve. I think it's very comfortable, more comfortable than any other rig I've jumped (not that I've jumped that many other rigs, but I have jumped an Infinity and a Javelin). I've had to put new leg strap pads on it due to bad landings (on pavement :S), but otherwise it's held up great! There is some fading on the neon green colors where it's been exposed and I do take good care of it, don't leave it in the sun or car or anything. It *does* seem a little bulky, but I thought that was more due to the 193 reserve and 170 main I have in it. :D I've never had any flaps come open before they were supposed to or anything. I'd recommend it, but I'd also recommend trying on different rigs and see which fit YOU like best, as everyone is different.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I have recently changed from a voodoo to a mirage.

The voodoo seemed to be made with much stiffer fabric than the mirage, and although some what older than the mirage I bought the voodoo looked in great condition when I sold it.
I preferred the toggles on my voodoo, but prefer the line stows on the mirage dbag.
I found the mirage hugs my body a lot more, and the leg straps are more comfortable than the voodoo.
I've found the riser covers to be more solid than the voodoo.

I can't think of much else. I loved my voodoo and only changed due to downsizing. I am getting use to the mirage and it is also a very good container. But if I was buying a new container I'd get a vector.
But thats just my opinion.

Own a 2002 G3 Mirage, have about 500 jumps on it. Never had a flap come undone on me, has never needed any maintenance work, got it very quickly after ordering and it's real comfortable.

I'm sure other brands out there are just as good, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Mirage.

I have a G4 that I bought in august of 07. Nothing but good things to say about it. Extremely comfortable on ride to altitude and under canopy. Delivery time was very close to estimated time.
I have heard bad things about the split D-Bag, my gear shop suggested the G3 style D-bag. Some like it some don't i guess.
I don't have a lot to compare it to since all i jumped before this was student gear, but my next purchase will be another mirage.

I don't really have any trouble with the split bag - it's supposed to make it easier to get the main in the bag, but when you've got a snot-slick new 210 main, I don't think it really matters which bag you've got :)
If I had a gripe about the main bag it'd be because the damn main always is trying to come out when I'm trying to keep it in. Besides that, I've have no trouble with my G4 yet.

"We'll start the ass kissing with you"

How about This very sweet TJKN from SunPath! Just the size for your 135 canopy, and the "A Yoke" should be good for your short stature. You can have them re-size the laterals down from the 18's very easily.:) (and no wait time for this in-stock item)! :D

ltdiver

You are shamless :P:D
Abraham Lincoln

On the other hand. I learned rigging packing Javlins! Great rig:)
I learned to jump using Javlins too!

Abraham Lincoln

Think its because mirage owners are too busy jumping ;)

Seriously, My mirage is dope. Sick, Aweome... I beat it to shit out here in the desert and it freaking still looks good.

Plus it comes stock with all the bells and whistles, fits like a f'in glove and now-a-days priced comparable to all the big guys with options.

See pic.... You will have a smile ear to ear when yours comes in.... I'm still giddy and its been 200or so days.

-Trunk

HYPOXIC